SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Did you wait line for the recent Harry Potter Book?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I have read all the books, even the latest one, and seen the DVDs.

2005/7/26 17:56Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: Richard Baxters personal quote on what to read from

I am someone who has the chronicles of narnia on tape and in england the amount of witchcraft items in bookshops in tremendous.
In the old testament we are told to stay away from suchlike !!

Advice On Reading
by Richard Baxter (1615-1691)

[Reprinted with permission from the Banner of Truth, Issue 11, June, 1958, p.1]

"Make careful choice of the books which you read: let the holy scriptures ever have the pre-eminence, and, next to them, those solid, lively, heavenly treatises which best expound and apply the scriptures, and next, credible histories, especially of the Church . . . but take heed of false teachers who would corrupt your understandings."

1. As there is a more excellent appearance of the Spirit of God in the holy scripture, than in any other book whatever, so it has more power and fitness to convey the Spirit, and make us spiritual, by imprinting itself upon our hearts. As there is more of God in it, so it will acquaint us more with God, and bring us nearer Him, and make the reader more reverent, serious and divine. Let scripture be first and most in your hearts and hands and other books be used as subservient to it. The endeavours of the devil and papists to keep it from you, doth shew that it is most necessary and desirable to you.

2. The writings of divines are nothing else but a preaching of the gospel to the eye, as the voice preaches it to the ear. Vocal preaching has the pre-eminence in moving the affections, and being diversified according to the state of the congregation which attend it: this way the milk comes warmest from the breast. But books have the advantage in many other respects: you may read an able preacher when you have but a average one to hear. Every congregation cannot hear the most judicious or powerful preachers: but every single person may read the books of the most powerful and judicious; preachers may be silenced or banished, when books may be at hand: books may be kept at a smaller charge than preachers: we may choose books which treat of that, very subject which we desire to hear of; but we cannot choose what subject the preacher shall treat of. Books we may have at hand every day. and hour; when we can have sermons but seldom, and at set times. If sermons be forgotten, they are gone; but a book we may read over and over, till we remember it: and if we forget it, may again peruse it at our pleasure, or at our leisure. So that good books are a very great mercy to the world: the Holy Ghost chose the way of writing, to preserve His doctrine and laws to the 'Church, as knowing how easy and sure a way it is of keeping it safe to all generations, in comparison of mere verbal traditions.

3. You have need of a judicious teacher at hand, to direct you what books to use or to refuse: for among good books there are some very good that are sound and lively; and some good, but mediocre, and weak and somewhat dull; and some are very good in part, but have mixtures of error, or else of incautious, injudicious expressions, fitter to puzzle than edify the weak.

Baxter's Guide To The Value Of A Book

While reading ask oneself:

1. Could I spend this time no better?

2. Are there better books that would edify me more?

3. Are the lovers of such a book as this the greatest lovers of the Book of God and of a holy life?

4. Does this book increase my love to the Word of God, kill my sin, and prepare me for the life to come?

source

[url=http://www.puritansermons.com/baxter/baxter30.htm]The Article[/url]

I personally think it should be banned that book I do not think there is not an ounce of christianity of in the books!!
One thing I have heard is that those who read evil become evil!!

Here is another few articles
from what I have heard of the books that it introduces witchcraft to the younger generation as the books by c s lewis intorduce them to our lord jesus it is all to do with world views!!

[url=http://www.leannepayne.com/harrypotter/index.php]Harry Potter[/url]

2005/7/26 18:31Profile
dohzman

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO EVERYONE

Mar 16:18 they shall take up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall in no wise hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

This doesn't mean that I'm going to willingly handle serpents and drink any deadly thing.This is for me and my family, so I speak for only myself here. Potter is a NO go in our household. Bro. Daryl

2005/7/26 18:35Profile
arbustum

Sydney Australia

Re: tolkein is a christian

the lord of the rings series and the hobbit, the silmarillion and his various other works about middle earth are based on christianity or atleast thats what i heard, ohh boy, im not trying to include hearsay here, but, even though the stories are of the fantasy genre, tolkein himself claimed that the story was a metaphorical representation of pieces of the bible, i remember hearing that last year, perhaps you'll want to check up on that but i could have sworn that tolkein declared himself a christian and his stories having subliminal christian ethics woven into them.

funky way of reaching the lost eh!?

hmm, most of the names in harry potter that i found in the first 4 books were made of silly little anagrams and the like.eg Diagon alley, -'diagonally', a direction. and the spells are latin words i think. they certainly sound latin.

she does write well, although i couldnt stand the 5th book, it just threw me off with the way she introduced it, and i couldnt stand her style of writing again. but i think there are worse books to be filling your head with, the davinci code..., and most fantasy you'll find is demonic by default, it goes hand in had with the genre.

but if you have to read something imaginary, but with every chance that it could happen try reading something that will really hit you like ted dekker, and i cant remeber the name of this other author, but i read a book by him where there was a charachter called 'brandon' who was hitting a town called antioch and the main character a former pastor was left to work through the situation and arrive at a conclusion that just catches you offguard, but you put the book down swearing you never want to mislead another soul...a couple of times i had to put the book down and wait to catch my breath beause of the conviction and fear of doing something wreckless against the Lord grips you, see, much more benficial! lol, the book's called
'visitation' get some of that into you! anyway, i'm going to read another of his books starting with the letter 'o' soon, but i've lent my ted dekker books to a friend and am dying to read them again! i'm a sucker for phychological thrillers, they get me every time! these guys are good christian authors whith serious christian convictions in their books, they havent actually happened but its so possible some of the things i've read, it kinda sacres you!

guys, i have resolved that i'm gonna start reading things that feed my spirit, not my flesh, because the last thing i want is to have my flesh override my spirit when i really really need to hear from God, Practise makes perfect!

2005/7/26 21:35Profile

Re:

Dohzman... I'm with ya bro... no Potter in this house either.

Only [b]He[/b] is the potter, I'm am just the clay.

Krispy

2005/7/26 21:52
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Did you wait line for the recent Harry Potter Book?

Todd Friel (who is hilarious) of Talk the Walk Ministries has a great article about Harry Potter:

http://www.ttwministries.com/articles/The%20Truth%20About%20Harry%20Potter.pdf

My personal opinion is that it is obviously steering kids toward witchcraft. Just as modern media steers kids towards alcohol, pre-marital sex, etc. So it's nothing new.

But, man. I tried watching a Harry Potter movie on a flight just to see what all the fuss was about. It was so incredibly boring! It reminded me of when I was stuck at my grandparents house as a kid in front of the TV, so I would just pick the best bad show on, and watch that. Potter ranked right up there with 'Too Close For Comfort.' I couldn't get all the way through it.

I used to be big into fantasy, and at least Tolkien was interesting. Potter is just boring. The draw has to be the mystery of the occult.

2005/7/26 23:43Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
the lord of the rings series and the hobbit, the silmarillion and his various other works about middle earth are based on christianity or atleast thats what i heard, ohh boy, im not trying to include hearsay here, but, even though the stories are of the fantasy genre, tolkein himself claimed that the story was a metaphorical representation of pieces of the bible, i remember hearing that last year, perhaps you'll want to check up on that but i could have sworn that tolkein declared himself a christian and his stories having subliminal christian ethics woven into them.

Tolkein stated quite definitely that his writing were not allegories or metaphors of the Bible. He said that because he himself was a Catholic it was inevitable that his mores would present themselves in his saga, but that there were no parables or allegories. His writing certainly does have 'catholic ethics' underlying it, but this was not his conscious intention.

2005/7/27 5:15Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I used to be big into fantasy, and at least Tolkien was interesting. Potter is just boring. The draw has to be the mystery of the occult.

I am not advocating that anyone should go out and buy Harry Potter books, although I do think it is a bit steep when folks begin their mails with 'I have heard that ...'. I am interested in eye-witness accounts and in personal convictions, not the echoes of other voices.

However, I don't personally, having read them all, think that the Potter books are really occult. The 'magic' in them is actually very mechanical. In fact, it is computer magic. You put in the right prompts and it does certain things. 'Apparating' is just 'Star Trek' transportation. Owls are emails complete with 'flamers'. Magic maps are just 'tracers'. Wands are just 'star trek' phasers set on 'stun' or 'kill' as appropriate. It is the struggle between good and evil, but using magic rather than science-fiction or the western as the vehicle. Lewis and Tolkein both use 'magic' and fulfillment of ancient prophecy as their narrative tools too.

Why do I say Harry Potter is not directly 'occult'? Because there is no 'fellowship' between the the magicians and an evil spirit. This is not an evil communion but a contest between but an evil use of magical technology and a good use of magic technology. If you say why use 'magic' I would say just because it is the story teller's choice. I don't believe in Potter magic anymore than I believe in a talking mouse called Mickey, and I think most 10 year olds will feel the same.

There is a case for the avoidance of all works of fiction. This would eleminate most of ancient and modern literature. It would include 'Left behind', 'the Robe', the Passion of Christ, Shakespeare, Mark Twain, Jack London, Tolkein, Lewis, Star Wars, Star Trek, Laurel and Hardy, West Side Story; in fact almost everyone and everything you can think of in the media world. It would also eliminate street theatre as an evangelistic tool, and every sermon illustration that was not grounded in absolute fact. The puritan parliament of the 17th century tried to ban theatre because, be definition, an actor was a liar. The Greek word for actor is hypocrit. I repeat there is a case for this and I would have more sympathy with those who held it than with those who want to demonise Harry Potter.

Quote:

Not necessarily, it could simply be the art of a good story teller. I would love J K Rowling to do some Agatha Christie who-dun-it type stuff; I think she would be brilliant at it.

Having said all this there is a darker side to J K Rowling. The one-death-per-book formula, I suspect, is her own way of making people face up to the sorrows of life; of which she has experienced a few. The problem with all fiction is that it can never adequately include the grace of God in its narrative, so consequently all fiction is atheistic, even 'Christian' fiction. It cannot include God, full size, in its canvas. So all you get is a tiny human view of a corner of life.

There is a theme to Harry Potter books which has run throughout and is a much more noble theme than that present in some world classics. It is the philosophy of Professor Dumbledor that the 'greatest magic is the magic of self-sacrificing love' as was seen in the voluntary life sacrifice of Harry's mother for one she loved. Harry Potter, fictionally, is the creation of a love which sacrificed itself for the benefit of another; seems like I heard that theme somewhere else. :-)

2005/7/27 5:50Profile

Re:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one, philologos.

... think I'll stick with John Grisham. :-)

Krispy

2005/7/27 6:04
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I have read some Grishom. He is my son-in-laws favourite too. BTW there is an English author who is much more ominous. Philip Pullman. This man's writings are very popular in the UK among 10 year oldds but his intention is quite plainly to create an alternate spiritual history of the human race with the demons as the good guys. This is a deadly mixture of 'creative' theology, magic and occult practice and is much more dangerous than the comic strip world of J K Rowling.

2005/7/27 6:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy