SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Did you wait line for the recent Harry Potter Book?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
yblek

Did you wait line for the recent Harry Potter Book?

What comments do you have regarding this fantasy novel which many have deemed dangerous? Would Tolken have purchased this book?

2005/7/26 2:34Profile
arbustum

Sydney Australia

Re: Did you wait line for the recent Harry Potter Book?

lol, i bought it for my mum because i know how much she loves the series but when you think about it, it wasnt such a smart choice eh? i wont read it, nor will anybody else in the house. she's a very fast reader so she was finnished it in 5 days, tops, whilst managing the household (what a legend, heres a tribute to mums!) but the content is less than appropriate to be filling your head with. she doesnt tell us about the story, but i cant say that she doesnt meditate on it as any good book makes you do! and i use the term 'good book' loosely because good is relative to the individual. ohh and to be literal, no we didnt wait in line, we ordered it and had it delivered to our door.

2005/7/26 2:45Profile

I am confused about whether Harry Potter is ok or not. I don't read or watch it because I don't know and I have heard that they use names of actual demons and actual spells so I am not sure. I like Tolken though and I kind of see that as a bit different as it is all made up.

2005/7/26 4:43

Re:

Quote:
I am confused about whether Harry Potter is ok or not. I don't read or watch it because I don't know and I have heard that they use names of actual demons and actual spells so I am not sure. I like Tolken though and I kind of see that as a bit different as it is all made up.

As with anything in life, our guide should be the Word of God. So what does the Word of God say about the subject matter of the Harry Potter books? Here are only a few things:

Gal 5:19-21 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, [b]witchcraft[/b], hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that [b]they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God[/b].

Lev 20:6 And the soul that turneth after such as have familiar spirits, and after wizards, to go a whoring after them, I will even set my face against that soul, and will cut him off from among his people.

[i](Wesley's commentary: Wizards - Them that have entered into covenant with the devil, by whose help they foretel many things to come, and acquaint men with secret things.)[/i]

Deu 18:10-12 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, [b]or that useth divination[/b], or an observer of times, or an [b]enchanter[/b], or a [b]witch[/b], or a [b]charmer[/b], or a [b]consulter with familiar spirits[/b], or a [b]wizard[/b], or a [b]necromancer[/b] For [b]ALL[/b] that do these things are an [b][i]ABOMINATION[/i][/b] unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

I understand that Harry Potter is a fictional character. Thats not the issue, the issue is the subject matter of the books... which is witchcraft. I think most adults can read these books and not really be effected, but this is not who the books are aimed at. They are aimed at children.

But in all honesty I have to wonder why Christian adults would want want to read books that deal so blatently with the occult in a positive way. Do these adults read the Word of God with as much fervor and anticipation? I doubt it.

Do the Christian children who sit down and stick their noses in a Harry Potter book for days on end ever open their Bibles? Have they even read their Bibles all the way thru?

If not, then another issue with these books is idolatry, not just witchcraft.

But as to whether Christian adults or children should read something like Harry Potter... if you take the verses I quoted above, and then add the one below this paragraph, I think the only conclusion one can come up with is: NO.

Phi 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

God forgive us for our idolatry and love of the world and it's entertainment. Forgive us for our spilt allegiance.

Krispy

2005/7/26 5:57
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

nope i didn't wait in line for hary potter 6, i did read the first 5 though before i was saved i got into them after book 4 was released but didn't buy book 5, i just borrowed it, the 5th one was rubbish anyway not a patch on the 4th, i doubt even if i wasn't saved i would read the new one, but as for should we agree with the whole harry potter phenomenon or not, ill quote a preacher for Northern Ireland

it's long sorry

I'm referring to Harry Potter - surely it's an innocent story, it's an innocent novel for children? Well, if you even look at Harry Potter and look at the hype that is around about it at the moment, I think even that would put a question mark on it. The fact of the matter is, in our society today, whether it's through Harry Potter, or through horoscopes, or through Satanism, or Paganism revived: the Devil wants everything in society to be under his control, and he will stop at absolutely nothing. He is ingenious in his methods and in his organisational skills.

I want to say tonight, publicly, that Harry Potter is an evil book. Be under no illusion about it. You don't have to go into it too much - and we'll not have time this evening to go into it - save to say that the author herself, J. K. Rowling, researched into occult, into paganism, into spiritualism, in order to be as authentic as she possibly could in the book. She incorporated these things into this book, so that they could be believed. If you looked at this woman's life history, J. K. Rowling, you find out that as a student she studied Mythology at Exeter University in England. The philosophies that she found in paganism, neo-paganism, and Satanism of the past centuries, she has incorporated into the story of Harry Potter. Now, the reason I'm telling you this is to warn you about this book, and to warn your children about it - but more than that: I want you to see the ingenuity of the devil, the cleverness of how he brings a society round under his control and under his influence.

Do you know that the publicity of this particular book has brought together three of the biggest companies in the world? Maybe you don't know that Coca-Cola are sponsoring this book. Mattel that makes most of the toys that you see advertised on the television screen with regards to films, that relate to films, they are also a co-advertiser of Harry Potter. Then you have WB - Warner Brothers - they're looking after the film side of it. So this is not just a Christmas fad and faze that we are going through, it's not like the Teletubbies, that after a few months or a year this will be off our screens. Three of the largest companies in the world have committed themselves to continue to bombard us with Harry Potter memorabilia and advertising. One hundred million of these books have been sold already - in 200 countries and over 40 languages. You've seen it on the news, that children all over our world are devouring these books - some of them are 700 pages long! Now in the computer age that we are living in, that is nothing short of supernatural - in my opinion - how you can get children today, who wouldn't read a comic, to read a 700 page long book! It's nothing short of magic.

This book has now been recommended to schools in the United States, and they have recommended that it be read by the teacher audibly. The reason why it can be recommended in schools in America is because Scholastic, the organisation that publishes this book in America, is the biggest seller of educational books to all schools in the United States, and has been for over 80 years. It is using its influence to get this book into the schools. It's ironic, isn't it, that you aren't allowed to pray in a school in America? You aren't allowed a Bible-based message in any shape or form, or lesson, in a school in the United States - but children are allowed to be taught witchcraft through this book.

I was horrified recently to find out that from the Harry Potter website, you can be linked to other websites that teach you occultic practices, spells, divination, and all manner of evil. I was further horrified to find out that the Pagan Federation of America has now appointed a youth officer - why? They claim it themselves: 'Because of the flood of enquiries since Harry Potter was published'. Children, boys and girls, contacting the Pagan Federation, being led to it from this book. 'Oh, but it's innocent. It's just fantasy'.

the whole message can be found here

http://www.preachtheword.com/transcripts/ezek18.html

2005/7/26 5:59Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

nope. i think this book is dangerous. matter of fact if you disagree im sorry) i don't see a whole lot of difference betwixt Tolkiens, lewis or Rowlings fiction. Jesu ws able to use allegories without incorperating bizaree and occultic fantasy, why can't we?

2005/7/26 9:01Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Krispy
How many Harry Potter books have you read?

2005/7/26 11:44Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

I haven't read the books but you'd be surprised to know that I've seen all the movies. More out of interest than anticipation. She weaves an interesting story. I wasn't as taken back by the open occultism in the movies as I was in the subtle worldly undercurrent that is in all of Hollywood.

The amoralism of men finding their own way--I believe that the Bible calls it, "Doing what is right in our own eyes,"--is much worse and is very present in Harry Potter and in all movies. If I could use the term, "The Devil's in the details", that would be a good way to describe it.

But what do you expect from something that's earthbound? The best way to preach against Harry Potter is to preach Christ crucified and raised from the dead. And then LIVE it.

2005/7/26 12:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
Krispy, How many Harry Potter books have you read?

I've read The Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, and I have seen the first movie. Why? Because two of my kids fit the demographics of who these books are aimed at, and I know sooner or later some of the friends will encourage them to read it.

I never offer comments on things without knowing something about it.

I also feel the same way as an earlier poster on this thread about Tolkien and CS Lewis's fantasy books. (Read them too...). Not judging whether the authors were believers... just dont think the fantasy, magic, etc is something that Christian's should embrace. Especially when scripture couldnt be clearer about avoiding it.

Krispy

2005/7/26 14:54
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I have never read one of the books but seen about 15 mins of the movie. I was over at my aunt's house watching her children (my cusins) and they were watching one of the Harry Potter movies. I thought it was compeltely demonic. He was making spells using foriegn words. The two boys would hear him say the spell and they would repeat it! It was killing me inside. They did not watch much more of the movie. I don't remember if I asked them to turn it off or if they just did.

Its very possible that kids will go around saying these spells and not even know what they are doing. Whats going to happen when they start saying these spells and something (demonic) happens? A complete turn to witchcraft? Demon possesion?

Oh I long the super natural power of God to sweep children! How would children be if we taught them the word of God? If one of their friend's fell and hurt themselves and he laid hands on him to be healed, and he was! Possesion? No! but possibly a bond-slave to Christ!

2005/7/26 15:16Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy