SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 12: Lake Of Fire

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 12: Lake Of Fire

Hell and Everlasting Punishment
Part 12: Lake Of Fire

Five times in the Bible t he lake of fire is mentioned: Revelation 19:20; 20:10; 20:14; 20:15; 21:8. "And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire." (Revelation 20:14).

Professor C. T. Schwarze, of New York University, member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, on a radio broadcast conducted by Erling C. Olsen over station WMCA, New York City, stated that, according to Matthew 25:41: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels," the fire is already in existence. He said that the Greek word translated "prepared" in this verse is hetoimazo, which means "already prepared," or "now ready."

Robert L. Summer speaks of real fire in Hell: "Do not misunderstand me, there is a real Hell or real fire which makes sinners grit their teeth for pain, cry out for water, and beg for mercy! Jude 7 says, "Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire." Since it was real fire and real brimstone which destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah- and that was just a sample of Hell- we can expect real fire and real brimstone in the eternal land of the lost."

John Holliday in his message, "Final Judgement and Eternal Hell," also spoke of fire: "Any effort to soften the Bible doctrine of hell by making the fire figurative is utterly futile. According to Jesus, both body and soul are involved in the miseries of hell (Matthew 10:28) and from His unveilings of the remorse and retribution to be endured, the flames that sear the soul are more terrible than the fires that scorch the body."

Dr John R. Rice in his excellent sermon "Is there Literal Physical Fire in Hell?", concluded:

"I think I know why Paul went about weeping, 'night and day with tears' (Acts 20:31), when he so believed in a literal Hell of eternal fire and torment! I beg of you who read this, become consumed with the passion to save people from Hell! We may be fundamental in our heads, but most of us are partly infidels in our hearts, for we have no real conception of the wickedness of sin, and we have no real conception of the marvel of God's love and His infinite grace expressed at Calvary! Most of us have no sense of the awfulness of sin and the certain, horrible doom of Christ-rejecting sinners! Oh, brother, let us win souls while we may to keep them from the lake of fire, that awful place burning with brimstone, prepared for the Devil and his angels!"

"The Hell of the Bible is horrible beyond description, and the hypotheses of this hour cannot exceed it. Its miseries are as far beyond description as the joys of heaven are. Be it better or worse, oh let us not go there!"
-Munsey

2005/7/25 21:07Profile
Strick

Re: Hell and Everlasting Punishment, Part 12: Lake Of Fire

Yes, it's awful beyond comprehension. I read a book by Mary K. Baxter called, "A Divine Revelation of Hell", which opened my eyes to the fact that I don't want my worst enemy to experience this place.

2005/7/27 9:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy