SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where are they???????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

In regards to [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=2982]Wanted: Preachers with Passion & Power by Alan Cairns[/url]

This is a great message!

Alan Cairns quoting Ian Paisely:
"Sermonettes breed Christianettes, little sermons , little Christians"

2003/10/29 10:15Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

hi Hannah

Quote:
I find it strange indeed that a dead subject like ”Original sin” attracts some 900 viewing occasions, but a living work like visiting a brother falls flat as to comments.

There may be more of a connection to these threads than is first apparent. In the last hundred years the emphasis on the work of the Spirit has centred more and more on the Spirit's work in powerful demonstration, miracles and the charismatic movement.

People like Duncan Campbell, Leonard Ravenhill, Paris Reidhead come from a very different background. They were believers who emphasised the work of the Spirit in the believer to produce holiness of character.

To the former 'revival' is expressed in terms of miraculous power, for the latter 'revival' is expressed in terms of miraculous lives. For someone who began in the first camp and transferred to the second, my conviction is that that there can be no revival without the presence of the Spirit and there can be no presence of the Spirit without conviction of Sin. When He is come He will convict the world of Sin....

The classic revivals so loved of the readers of these pages have always been times of acute consciousness of sin and a strong crying to a Saviour. In many ways it is simply New Testament christianity made alive by the fresh consciousness of the presence of the Holy Spirit. You will have noticed that the main thing we know about the Spirit is that He is Holy.

Even so we pray, Come Holy Spirit.

2003/10/31 5:17Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

To expound on this a bit:

Quote:
I find it strange indeed that a dead subject like ”Original sin” attracts some 900 viewing occasions, but a living work like visiting a brother falls flat as to comments.

Two things I noticed;
Shortly after Hannah's posting these comments, the reply's started coming in.
Secondly, after reading Philologo's:
Quote:
There may be more of a connection to these threads than is first apparent

It caused me to scan the main forum board this morning and come to this conclusion.
Variety.
And I praise God for it.
What a community of believers. All walk's of life, layman and scholar.
A place to share, learn, be encouarged, challenged.
For myself, it boil's down to a heart issue.
I believe that was the essence of what Jesus was driving at when He walked this earth, changing hearts back to the way they were originally intended and proving it by giving away His all so that we too could be restored.
That heart beats here.

2003/10/31 10:29Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

your quote: "Alan Cairns quoting Ian Paisely:
"Sermonettes breed Christianettes, little sermons , little Christians"

and Iain Paisley was quoting Donald Gray Barnhouse. 1895-1960

"Too many ministers have not learned that sermonettes by preacherettes make Christianettes."

2003/10/31 18:00Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Ahh...Thanks for the clarification.
The original is better...

2003/10/31 21:53Profile
productofgrace

Re: Where are they???????

First post... had to read through... many questions and many answers.

Isn't it clear that Jesus tells us that He alone is the Teacher, Chief, Executor, Guide, and through the Holy Spirit He ministers first to you... then He leads us to be ministered to, and share with others; by ministering to them as He leads us to?

He teaches us as we seek Him alone, yet He sends us out among the wolves and there we will be lead to those who have been given Authority by Him to minister and to share... and also being witness to those who are being decieved.

I would question anyone who brings me a word and calls it meat and it is not... yet I too will give Thanks to our Lord for sending meat in season... which He has brought through others.

Not every man who steps up behind a pulpit is ready to steal your soul and take you down... not all places of worship are the Synogogue of Satan... if we had not a teacher, why listen to what any of the prophets were inspired to write?

Those who have been anointed to minister... in many ways do we minister... it is by the Holy Spirit's leading... we will be taught by Jesus, if He is in them... know them by their fruit.

productofgrace

2004/4/8 10:11Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: Where are they???????

Quote:
sdb wrote:
WHERE ARE THE SPIRIT FILLED PREACHERS OF THIS GENERATION???

They're so rare and shunned by such a large portion of "Christendom" that not only is it hard to find them, most people don't even know to look for them.

I sure didn't.

I was definately Christian with an earnest (and essentially selfless) desire to serve God, but I think I was starving for lack of real preaching. The groups I was involved in had sincerity and devotion to Christ, and God used them in teaching me the rudiments of the Christian life and obediance... but He brought me to a point where, if I wanted further discipleship, if I wanted an example of where I needed to grow, I wasn't going to find it in those groups.

For example, if I wanted another Brother work with me in handing out tracts, witnessing, or preaching, God would have had to provide someone new or raise one of the current people quite a ways up to consistent, serious evangelism (some of them do attend to their evangelical duty, but they haven't been taught to preach or even witness biblically).

This is certainly not to say I had risen above them all or anything like that, but evangelically they just weren't being led. I felt like a new recruit (converted about 2 and a half years ago) just finishing basic training and finding out that, if I wanted the army to enter the battle, I was going to have to lead the charge.

Thank God it didn't come to that, I would have made a terrible mess of things.

I don't think one of the campus ministries had a truly Spirit-filled preacher, not one.

God did have one real Spirit-filled preacher visit campus, though. The place got stirred up whenever he preached. He spoke in one of the central areas of campus, calling sin sin, and confronting people with the Truth. He preached Holiness, and thus the people that got most angry with him were professing "Christians" that were living in sin.

I became acquainted with Brother John Duncan over a year ago, and a few months ago he emailed asking me to pray about helping him minister to the campus. I responded almost immediately. God's done a lot through John's ministry. Slowly but surely, the fallow ground is getting turned up by the Truth. Brother John and Sister Ellen have been tremendous encouragements to me, and being in this ministry makes all my previous time (Christian and otherwise) seem boring and unproductive in comparison (God certainly worked during them, though).

I've met a number of other men and women of God over the past few months. Brother Matt Bourgault is visiting and preaching with us, and I heard him preach on revival last night. Preach, not just teach. He quoted some of Ravenhill's reasons why revival tarries, and he really let us have it in general. It's not a matter of beating the congregation over the head with exhortation, it's a matter of doing so Biblically :)

I only had about a half hour to talk with people while John and them were standing for God at the free-speech area, but I saw two people from the church Matt had preached at the previous night (and it was probably 45 minutes away).

If you're looking for Spirit-filled preachers, Holiness Pentacostal churches might be a good place to look, though even that movement is suffering from third-fourth-fifth generation decay.

Also, John pointed something out last night: God has never revived a movement that started in revival. As far as I know, this is true. It's almost always one or a few people, not particularly connected with any large religious organization, being used by God.

This post is long enough... if you'd like, you can visit John's website at www.gospeljohn.com .

God be with you all,
-Keith

2004/4/8 15:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy