Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Waiting on God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Waiting on God

"have you not known? have you not heard? the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." isaiah 40:27-3

"waiting for God is not laziness. waiting for God is not going to sleep. waiting for God is not the abandonment of effort. waiting for God means first activity under command; second, readiness for any new command that may come; third, the ability to do nothing until the command is given.

waiting for God, then, means power to do nothing save under command. this is not lack of power to do anything. waiting for God needs strength rather than weakness. it is the power to do nothing. it is the strength that holds strength in check. it is the strength that prevents the blundering activity which is entirely false and will make the true activity impossible when the definite command comes.

waiting is far more difficult than working. . . . waiting requires strength. it demands absolute surrender of the life to God, the confession that we are at the end of our own understanding of things, the confession that we really do not see our way and do not know the way. the waiting that says: "until God shall speak we dare not move and will not move, we will not be seduced from our resolution to wait"; requires strength. ~ the westminster pulpit

"no ear has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him..." isaiah 64:4

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=humble1

2005/7/21 14:59Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Waiting on God

Greg
this is a great theme although I'm not sure that 'waiting for God' and 'waiting on God' are by any means the same thing?

2005/7/21 16:23Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

My wife read this to me this morning, from Spurgeon's morning by morning. It seemed relevant..."Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord."
--Exodus 14:13

These words contain God's command to the believer when he is reduced to great straits and brought into extraordinary difficulties. He cannot retreat; he cannot go forward; he is shut up on the right hand and on the left; what is he now to do? The Master's word to him is, "Stand still." It will be well for him if at such times he listens only to his Master's word, for other and evil advisers come with their suggestions. _Despair_ whispers, "Lie down and die; give it all up." But God would have us put on a cheerful courage, and even in our worst times, rejoice in His love and faithfulness. _Cowardice_ says, "Retreat; go back to the worldling's way of action; you cannot play the Christian's part, it is too difficult. Relinquish your principles." But, however much Satan may urge this course upon you, you cannot follow it if you are a child of God. His divine fiat has bid thee go from strength to strength, and so thou shalt, and neither death nor hell shall turn thee from thy course. What, if for a while thou art called to stand still, yet this is but to renew thy strength for some greater advance in due time. _Precipitancy_ cries, "do something. Stir yourself; to stand still and wait, is sheer idleness." We _must_ be doing something at once--we must do it so we think--instead of looking to the Lord, who will not only do something but will do everything. _Presumption_ boasts, "If the sea be before you, march into it and expect a miracle." But Faith listens neither to Presumption, nor to Despair, nor to Cowardice, nor to Precipitancy, but it hears God say, "Stand still," and immovable as a rock it stands. "_Stand still_";--keep the posture of an upright man, ready for action, expecting further orders, cheerfully and patiently awaiting the directing voice; and it will not be long ere God shall say to you, as distinctly as Moses said it to the people of Israel, "Go forward.I think this phrase "_Stand still_";--keep the posture of an upright man, ready for action, expecting further orders, cheerfully and patiently awaiting the directing voice; perfectly captures my idea of waiting [u]on[/u] God.

2005/7/22 4:37Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
this is a great theme although I'm not sure that 'waiting for God' and 'waiting on God' are by any means the same thing?

Would not "waiting for" speak of an waiting for God to come around and move in our lifes. Where "waiting on" could speak of an more immediate and moment by moment awarness of his presence and waiting actively in that presence? I think it comes down to the same principle but the idea of "waiting on" speaks to me of more of an diligence and pressing into.

"blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." (Matthew 5:6)

An waiting on God that is like waiting for the overdue meal.. an desperate waiting for the satisifying of our deep spiritual need.

2005/7/22 11:46Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
An waiting on God that is like waiting for the overdue meal.. an desperate waiting for the satisifying of our deep spiritual need.

change the image and think of a 'waiter'. Someone who is alert to the wishes of another and wholly available to serve him. It is the image of a servant, standing and attentive to another's will. This 'waiter' is not waiting for his own needs to be met, but to do the will of another.
Psa. 123:2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the LORD our God, until that he have mercy upon us.

2005/7/22 13:11Profile
madmatg

asia

Re: Waiting on God

i dont want this to become a flame on the niv but when I first memorized this verse it was from the niv and up until a couple days ago I only knew it as "those whose hope is in the Lord" which is very different than "those who wait upon the Lord" It makes the passage a lil more compelling and convicting for sure.

2005/7/22 13:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy