Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : POWERFUL QUOTE on being with God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 POWERFUL QUOTE on being with God

"Seek to be made holier every day; pray; strive, wrestle for the Spirit, to make you like God. [b]Be as much as you can with God.[/b] I declare to you that I had rather be one hour with God, than a thousand with the sweetest society on earth or in heaven. All other joys are but streams; God is the fountain: 'all my springs are in Thee'." -Robert Murray McCheyne

Wow brothers! what conviction as I post this. Are we really desiring to be in the presence of God, do we enjoy those times of fellowship? are they worth sacrificing the best of our day to be with our Saviour, Lord and Friend?

I just want so badly to be in that place like the young samuel to be able to have my mind so quiet in the presence of God, so that when the Lord calls me, I will say 'speak for your servant is listening!'.

I have this verse ringing in my ears: 'I never knew you' out of the lips of Jesus. Do we [b]know[/b] our God brothers and sisters? or better put: does he [b]know[/b] us as in a heavenly relationship!

Oh! how prayer can not be burdensome. The Lord desires that we just come into His presence not just to ask petitions (they are good), but to come to Him just for who He is! and with a desire to know Him more! 'We want to know you more God' should be the cry of our hearts.

I have been encouraged by God to read alot of old testament stories and see how some of the prophets had such an intimate relationship with God.

2003/10/25 22:50Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: POWERFUL QUOTE on being with God

May I add that we go on beyond this. In everything. As I write, I write before Him.

Absolutely, we need to be set apart to, as you stated :

Quote:
I just want so badly to be in that place like the young samuel to be able to have my mind so quiet in the presence of God, so that when the Lord calls me, I will say 'speak for your servant is listening!'.

It is a most blessed thing to be in that intimate fellowship, because we long to be there.
Quote:
Oh! how prayer can not be burdensome. The Lord desires that we just come into His presence not just to ask petitions (they are good), but to come to Him just for who He is! and with a desire to know Him more! 'We want to know you more God' should be the cry of our hearts.

Amen!
And this being the case, do we not continue this thought through out our every waking moment, that since we are always in His presence, are we not aware of it?

That the Holy Spirit is resident within us and that He intercedes with us, our constant companion.

That where two are three are gathered, there I AM in the midst of them, said our Lord.
We profess this, do we acknowledge it with our mind engaged to it in practical application?

Do we actively practice the presence of God?
I like to think that it is a practice, but like any other thing we set out to do, the more we continue to hone it, the more natural it becomes.

Do we see the world through God's eye's so to speak and God through the world.

Are we asking, seeking, knocking,
[i]constantly [/i], as well as hearing, listening and obeying (ouch)?

Is God not all and in all in some form or fashion. Not 'in all' as in indwelling, but in sovereignty.

So are our lives, lives of prayer?
Do we pray without ceasing?
Does it become a strange uneasiness when you realise that you had forgotten about God for an hour?

To quote Leonard Ravenhill, do we only know the Word of God and not the God of the Word?

Has our priorites shifted to the temporal with eternity following, thus making all that is perishable the urgent, and heaven can wait?

Are we aware of the devils schemes? And does he know our names? Are we causing him any restlessness? That we are at war and are enlisted under the Great Commander of our souls.

Are we known by our love?
Speak the truth in love.
With our heart, soul, mind and strength love our God?

Have we taken to heart that it's about our heart?
Jesus, I know that You know all things, I entrust it all into Your care.

I think my head sprung a leak.

2003/10/26 1:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I think my head sprung a leak.

I don't think that this is a leak that needs to be fixed. :-D

2003/10/26 15:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: abiding in christ

Quote:

I have really felt the Lord tugging at my heart to leave all learning, knoweldge, understanding alone for a season and come to Him as I am; not to impress Him, but just to worship Him. The Lord God is so worthy of our worship.

[b]1 Samuel 12:24 (kjv)[/b] - Only fear the Lord, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great [i]things[/i] he hath done for you.

[b]John 5:39-40 (kjv)[/b] - [color=FF0000]Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. [u]And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life[/u].[/color]

God has done great things for us all, let us come to Him and worship Him in spirit and truth. Let us not grieve the life of Christ within us by neglecting the time of communion He desires.

[b]John 15:5 (kjv)[/b] - [color=FF0000]I am the vine, ye [i]are[/i] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.[/color]

And remember you, my believing friends, that if ever you are relaxing in holiness, the reason is, you are relaxing your hold on Christ.
-Robert Murray McCheyne

2003/11/11 18:28Profile
sdb

tucson

Re: thanks

thanks greg, I just got around to reading this and its a true blessing for me.... I am going to take the time to read this every couple of days or so just to bring it to remebrence. In Him scott

2003/11/15 0:34Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I have this verse ringing in my ears: 'I never knew you' out of the lips of Jesus. Do we know our God brothers and sisters? or better put: does he know us as in a heavenly relationship!

As I am reading letters and sermons by Murray Mcheyne I realized the fact that this man knew Christ in such a more intimate way then I do. His words are so gracious and full of life as he shows the love of God in such a tangible way. I prayed to God, 'allow me to Love you and know you as much as Robert Murray M'cheyne did! I want my words to bring life to the hearers as this man's words did and still do.'

David Wilkerson when reading William Gurnall's writings concluded after 15 pages into one of his books that 'this man knows Jesus more intimately then I do.' This drove wilkerson to seek God in prayer to know Him more intimately.

I encourage you to follow in the example of the saints of the past, to get an essence of how close their relationship with Christ was and how much we are lacking in our current level of spirituality.

I encourage you to listen to this sermon by stephen hamilton on Robert Murray M'cheyne:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3204]Robert Murray McCheyne - Saintly Pastor of Dundee (Famous Saints #1)[/url]

2003/12/13 0:48Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I was just reviewing some old posts and I thought I would bring this one back up again for peoples edification. Its amazing some of the wonderful things you can find when you search through older posts on SI. ;-)

2004/5/24 0:55Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
Its amazing some of the wonderful things you can find when you search through older posts on SI.

2007/5/19 7:44Profile

Re:

Quote:

crsschk wrote:
So are our lives, lives of prayer?
Do we pray without ceasing?
Does it become a strange uneasiness when you realise that you had forgotten about God for an hour?

[i]a strange uneasiness when you realize that you had forgotten about God for an hour...[/i]

Quote:
Are we aware of the devils schemes? And does he know our names? Are we causing him any restlessness? That we are at war and are enlisted under the Great Commander of our souls.

Quote:
Are we known by our love?
Speak the truth in love.
With our heart, soul, mind and strength love our God?

2007/5/19 13:02

Re:

Quote:
I was just reviewing some old posts and I thought I would bring this one back up again for peoples edification. Its amazing some of the wonderful things you can find when you search through older posts on SI.

People spend hours watching T.V. or whatever else, but if one spends hours on here reading, does that make them nuts ?

The material here is endless.
Once on, unless you're forced to earthly duties, it's hard to leave, except for this more intimate time that is brought up in the first post.

I'm still praying the Christians could unplug Televisions. I still believe it's what has damaged true Christianity in the last 60 yr.s or more.

I'm not a legalist - but time with Him is precious enough, with work for some and keeping house, etc.. How do we find time for so much entertainment ?

What can be more "entertaining" than being in His very Presence ?

It 'is' available anytime we choose to visit Him.
He loves the visits with us even more than we do I think. I think He gets lonely for His bride's company a lot.

Worship in the spirit is a wonderful way to enter His presence also, as Greg and Mike and others brought out. Not just going for petitions.
I found when I just praise Him at His feet, that my "needs" are all met, without asking.
Him focused is good. Loving Him so that He hears and knows it is good ... He's a Husband that needs to hear these things.

GOD is So GOOD. He is a Wonderful Savior. Amen.

2007/7/4 21:57

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy