SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : our deeds are as filthy as rags

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
luckyd

tx

our deeds are as filthy as rags

in the bible theres a scripture that says we are all unclean and our deeds are as filthy as rags. with this would it make sense then to say to someone that our works alone do not get us into heaven but following commandments and trusting in jesus and doing works are all to get us into heaven?or whats your oppinion for that.

2005/7/21 1:21Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re: our deeds are as filthy as rags

My opinion is that my works are not enough to get me into heaven. The bible says that the lord detests the sacrifice of the wicked. Good works on their own will not save. We stand condemned because of our sins.

Works are an important "fruit" of the Spirit, but only belief in Jesus will redeem us from the curse of sin.

Amen.

2005/7/21 10:01Profile
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

The scripture by the way is Isaiah 64:6, and it isn't talking about our "deeds" but our "righteousnesses" or if you prefer, our "righteous deeds."

When we think that through, God is saying that the best of our best is still not righteous enough. He isn't saying our every day swill is like a dirty rag - rather he is saying the very best any of us has to offer by way of obedience is to him an "unclean" thing.

How then can we please God? Our knee jerk reaction is to "obey the law" - certainly we know that when we obeyed our own parents there was praise and not punishment - but Jesus tells the parable of the servant who works all day, comes in after his day of work, but still has to wait on his master until his master is fed and satisfied - then the servant is allowed to look after his own needs. Christ taught that this same servant was not worthy of praise, but was doing exactly what was expected of him.

Likewise, if we are perfect in our obedience we will have only done what is expected of us - and we will not have done anything worthy of praise.

How then, I ask again, do we please the Lord?

Scripture tells us that we are accepted by God in the Beloved (that is, those who are in Christ are pleasing to God because they are in Christ - and not because of their own efforts.)

There are ways for us to be "not" pleasing to God - certainly without faith it is impossible to believe God, we have to believe that God is whom He says He is, and we have to believe that God gives of Himself to those who seek Him diligently.

We cannot fellowship with God however, if we are fellowshipping with sin, and there is no relationship with God outside of holiness. So in order to have fellowship with God we walk in the light as He is in the light (God certainly isn't going to walk in darkness just so that we can fellowship with Him!).

So Christian's are obedient because they love God and want to fellowship with God. Knowing that God cannot fellowship with those who practice and embrace their sin - Christians begin a life of repenting, and in so doing God sanctifies them - just as we might cleanse a dish before we eat off of it, so too God sanctifies us through continued repentance so that eventually He can fellowship with us. The purpose of our obedience is not propitiatory - that is, we do not appease God by obeying Him, the purpose of our obedience is a desire to fellowship with God. The bible calls that desire "love" - and as many as truly love God, the same obey God. Not out of compulsion to fear God - but out of a desire to truly know and fellowship with God.

fear might make a man obey in the flesh - but love can make a man want to obey - that is, to worship God not just with his hands, but in spirit and in truth - such is God seeking to worship him.

So yes, our righteousness is as filthy rags indeed, but praise the Lord, our righteousness has nothing to do with pleasing God, we please God by our faith. When we understand this, we begin to turn from our works as a means of pleasing God, and start to receive freely what we were trying to earn beforehand.

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/7/21 10:55Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Quote:
we please God by our faith.

Amen brother.

[i]"And without faith it is impossible to please God..."[/i] - Hebrews 11:6a

2005/7/21 13:20Profile
todd

California

luckyd,

I think that's a really good question. I have thought a lot about this myself because I heard it preached a lot in the church circles I used to be more involved in.

Personally, I don't think this Scripture applies to us at all. From what I can tell, it describes Israel in a time away from God. I think we might be able to get a principle out of this text and apply it today- that our works apart from right relationship with God might be pointless.

But I think the New Testament reveals something different, at least concerning saints. Especially the book of Revelation, which speaks of white garments in different places.

Specifically, it seems that Revelation 19:8 speaks to our condition on this side of the Cross...

"... for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints."

When God sees our righteous acts, I think it is a cause for great joy in Him.

2005/7/21 13:33Profile
Azulfire

Washington state

Re:

this scriptures was made alive in me with this picture, I was praying for the Lord to give me conviction, so i would know if i hurt him when i sinned and i just read this scriptures and i asked the lord what does it mean, now you have to know i was a good person and i taught sunday school etc, but for a spilt second, the lord revealed or took his cloak of righteousness away for that spilt second and i saw how all my good works no matter how good they were, were nothing without him, and my knees buckled, and he held me up, for if it were longer than a spilt second it would of crushed me, I thank the lord for his robe!!!
Michelle

Isa 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh [himself] with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth [herself] with her jewels.

2005/7/22 13:38Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I agree I need jesus at this point in time as I have been away i feel like I need jesus to be filled again and to have a point where I turn to him everything!!!

2005/7/22 15:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy