SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A much needed apology...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

born_again doesnt know me too well yet... lol. Those who have been here awhile know what I mean.

Born_gain... welcome!

Krispy

2005/7/21 11:20
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: A much needed apology...

Krispy,

Semper Fi!

"godly sorrow worketh repentance"

Looks like you fulfilled that verse. I wish more of us did. James 2:

[2] My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
[3] Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

2005/7/21 11:30Profile
born_again

Re:

that we, through patience and comfort of the Scriptures, might have
hope; Amen…

the Scriptures are not only written for our present instruction, but for the ingenerating, encouraging, and establishing, an hope of eternal Life in another world; which they are the means of, under the influence of divine grace; since they give us a clear account of eternal life; of the promise of it in Christ; of its being procured by him, and secured in him; of the means of enjoying it, through his blood and righteousness; of the declarations of God's free grace and mercy to sinners, and of the various instances of persons who have been made partakers of it; all which encourage to hope in the Lord, and to rejoice in hope of the glory of God; believing we also may have and enjoy the thing hoped for, "through patience and comfort of the Scriptures"; both which are encouraged thereby: the "patience of the Scriptures" is not a stoical apathy, a stupid indolence; and is of a different kind from that patience the writings of the Heathen philosophers define and recommend: the Scripture gives an account of the true nature of patience, in bearing all sorts of evils for Christ's sake; of the excellency and usefulness of it; and do strongly exhort unto it upon the best principles, and with the best motives; and are full of promises to the exercise of it, and furnish out the best examples of suffering affliction, and patience: "the comfort of the Scriptures" is such as is not to be met with elsewhere. These writings abound with exceeding great and precious promises, and excellent doctrines, big with consolation to the saints; and both serve much to cherish, support, and maintain an hope of eternal happiness; all which prove the divine authority, excellency, and usefulness of the sacred writings, and recommend the reading of them by us, and the hearing of them explained by others.

Studing/Reading my Bible and in due time the Lord will REVEAL.

Gill's Exposition of the Bible

2005/7/21 11:40Profile
ellie

UK

Re: letsgetbusy Thread on 2005/7/21

RE:Quote [2] My brethren, count it all joy
when ye fall into divers temptations;
[3] Knowing this, that the trying
of your faith worketh patience.

How true in my life but I would put it differently for me...

1)Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience....
I have had through the years patience and God has helped me to have more, when having experienced the following sometimes......
2)My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers. temptations;
Thankfully I havent done too much falling but have had, much reason to, in the past 15 long years. But with Gods help I have resisted thankfully, from falling into deep holes.
Oh! how God has brought me through, so many trials. and taught me many things, but the learning never ends............And temptation pops up from time to time.

Thankyou Your Thread is an encouragement to me....
Isn't God so good to us.

ellie

All fall short of the Glory of God. Publicly or privatly.

2005/7/21 12:11Profile
free

Re: reconciliation

Phil wrote

Quote:
I would recommend that we not only 'give' an apology but that we do what Krisyp did here 'we ask for forgiveness'. Asking for forgiveness means the offended one is genuinely included in the reconciliatin process. It is not enough for someone to feel good because they have got the 'thing off their chest'; the purpose of forgiveness is not in freeing the offender from conscious guilt but is the opening of a dialogue in which a response is required from the offended one; it is the first step towards reconciliation.

Since we are on the subject of reconciliation, may I also add some thoughts. Im not refering to Kris's earlier remarks for which he has apologised. Im talking about something much much more sinister than just talking and injuring with words (not to make light of that either).

In this dark dark world where groups of people have commited atrocities towards another, a true reconciliation cannot be had with a mere apology. Even a regret is not enough. What is required is a deep REMORSE. The difference between a remorse and a regret/apology is that the wrongdoer admits RESPONSIBILITY for his/her actions. And it does not stop there. It comes with recompense and a turning away from all similiar wrong doing now and in the future. If you look around in the world (Im not going to mention names of countries), you will find that those who are still bickering about the past has not gone through this process properly. There are no steps to be missed.

May I add that we too, need this kind of approach to our everyday life.

2005/7/22 5:03Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
What is required is a deep REMORSE. The difference between a remorse and a regret/apology is that the wrongdoer admits RESPONSIBILITY for his/her actions.

I think the word perhaps should be 'repentance' rather than 'remorse'. 'remorse' means wishing it hadn't happened. Judas, showed remorse... just before he hanged himself.

I am not sure that 'groups of people' can be reconciled. I think it is a highly personal thing.

2005/7/22 5:17Profile
free

Re:

Phil is right. The word REPENTANCE is a better word for remorse. But what is key is the admission of responsibility. And that admission is not a mere glossing over but a clear message to say - this is what ACTUALLY happened, its my/our fault and it will never happen again.

There is a reconciliation on a personal level and another on a much larger level. If you think of the war atrocities commited to some Asian countries by the Japanese, for instance...or the Naxis to the Jews during WWII...

A Christian's remorse is always followed by hope. Thats the difference between the so-called "remorse" felt by Judas, and that felt by Peter.

2005/7/22 7:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy