Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Brainteaser

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Brainteaser

For all the intellectuals among us and also the nons, here is a question:You come home to find the kids arguing yet again (and it's just the beginning of summer vacation… sigh)! This time they're arguing about, of all things, whether any two people on the planet have the exact same number of strands of hair on their heads. Your daughter contends it's a common occurrence; but your son says, "No way! Well… maybe in the case of twins it's possible, but otherwise, people are like snowflakes, no two are exactly the same." When your daughter says she can prove it, your son challenges her to do so. Can she? :-D

2005/7/20 2:45Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re: Brainteaser

my initial response was that the girl could pray ask the Lord and He would tell her as He knows exactly how many hairs are on everyones heads at any given time (matt 10:30, Luke 12:7), that would be my spiritual answer.

my other answer would be without the help of the Lord, defintiely not, as black haired women have on average 110,000 hairs blonde women have 140,000 hairs and on average they lose 100 hairs a day so no, how would she count them?

however again if she got 2 completely bald people....... ;)

2005/7/20 4:49Profile

Re: how do you know all that about hair/

saved_matt,

Welcome to sermonindex... You're sharp!.... ;-)

Quote:
however again if she got 2 completely bald people....... ;)

This kind of answer reminds me of getting no pegs at all for my first row in Mastermind ([i]not[/i] the tv show ...). It's surprisingly .... informative...?

2005/7/20 5:44
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

got a good riddle heard it once quite tough

A Bible character without a name
Whose body to destruction never came
Who died a death none died before
And whose shroud can be found
In every grocery store

who is it?

2005/7/20 7:58Profile
taco

Re:

Mrs Lot

2005/7/20 8:55Profile
ZekeO

Does anyone have any ideas to the question, and I promise you it is not a trick question. ;-)

2005/7/20 11:03Profile
jeremyhulsey

I'd say that your son bears the burden of proof. There are six billion people on the planet. Your son has to prove that no two people have the same number of hairs on their heads out of six billion people. Your daughter only has to produce two.

But does the fact that we are all uniquely different mean that absolutely everything has to be different? Certainly not. We have two eyes, two ears, ten fingers, ten toes...etc. Yet we are all unique. Why then should it be a stretch of the imagination to think that it's possible to have the same number of hairs on our heads? The uniqueness is not in our body, but in our person.

2005/7/20 11:18Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

I would first suggest that the variables involved in determining that no two persons are identicle involve exceedingly more considerations than simply hair folical count.

However it is a simple question as I see it. We know that 300,000 is on the high end in terms of hair count. that would be a dense populated large head.

If we look at this in terms of probability we know that we only have a total of 300,000 variations + or -. The probability that 300,000 people would have 0- 300,000 hairs is 100%. Yet, if we were using a random number generator with a range from 0-300,000 it would be 'almost' a statistical impossibility to not duplicate one of those numbers before all 300,000 people were assigned a number.

If we were fortunate enough to do the impossible- it would be impossible to yield a number for the 300,00[b]1[/b]st person without duplicating someones number. So if we know that there are 6,000,000,000 people on earth we know that there would not merely be at least '2' with the same number- but there would be at least 20,000 people at any given time with the same number of hairs. In order for it to be mathmatically 'possible' for no two people to have the same number of hairs in a world of 6 billion- the average human head would have to have 6 billion hairs on it.

In other words the head would have to be 20,000 times as large as it is. If the average scalp has 150 square inches that would mean a head with 3,000,000 square inches or 20,800 square feet! That is a head with a surface area roughly half the size of a football field.

The assertion that no '2' individuals have the same number in a world of 6 billion would be an impossibility on no less than 2 specific unalterable counts.

2005/7/20 11:59Profile
saved_matt

Lancashire, England

Re:

well that burst my bubble, less than hour, well done, Mrs. Lot is indeed correct

2005/7/20 13:00Profile
ZekeO

Re:

Gee RobertW, thanks for humouring me. :-D

You are correct, you must have done stats some time. Unfortunately I fell into the nons on this one, blew me out of the water.

2005/7/20 14:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy