SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Full Time Ministry

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

Full Time Ministry

How do believers called to full-time ministry support their families while preaching at college campuses, abortion clinics, street evangelism, etc? It has been on my heart for a long time to be a full-time evangelist. It seems like pastors have a church organization that would provide for a salary, but this is confusing, especially in America when churches are set up like businesses.

I had a discussion with a brother who said that if a man is not out at an abortion clinic, that it's putting family, and self first. I said how am I to support my family if I am not working my job but outdoing "ministry", which is a Godly and noble thing to do. Just some thoughts for reflection and prayer.

2020/5/28 13:41Profile
staff

Re: Full Time Ministry

Hi Doug,
I think you have touched on a bigger subject which is why do we have a term "full time ministry"
This term has single handedly caused the Church to be ineffectual and divided.
Why?Because we are all Full Time Ministers.
And that is huge.If we dont precieve our real position in Christ then we wont assume that position .
Everybodys primary position in life is to be a minister of Christ in what ever gifting we have.
Why division ?Because the term Full Time Minister has elevated the gift of Pastor into a position where it was never meant to be and anywhere the gifts are working out of sync you will have division ,urs staff

2020/5/28 20:58Profile
dougr777

Re:

Thanks brother, I need to hear what then the Lord wants me to do then for ministry and trust the Lord to provide.

I am stressed and not at peace with the secular work I'm doing currently, but thankful for the process He is showing me. I had a business and was self-employed for a long time, but have a job currently, but want to return to the place I was before while being content.

2020/5/29 13:14Profile
Sree

Re: Full Time Ministry

Quote:

How do believers called to full-time ministry support their families while preaching at college campuses, abortion clinics, street evangelism, etc? It has been on my heart for a long time to be a full-time evangelist. It seems like pastors have a church organization that would provide for a salary, but this is confusing, especially in America when churches are set up like businesses.

I agree with Staff, we are all called to be full-time ministers of Christ. There is no partial or part-time!

When I do my regular job, why do I do it? To feed my family. For whom is my family? For the Lord. Everything eventually goes to the Lord. Hence I am also a fulltime minister for the Lord.

I think you answered the question your self by saying in USA Churches are set up like businesses. This is the exact problem. Most Churches are not scriptural.

1 Cor 12:28 - And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, and those with gifts of healing, helping, administration, and various tongues.

Eph 4:11 - And it was He who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,

All these ministries are given to the Church. So there is no concept of a traveling evangelist or preacher or teacher who has no part in a local Church. An evangelist comes from Church is part of a local church, he brings people into the Church. He is not someone who has no accountability but submits to a local church and its elders. This is how it was in the early Churches. But today, Churches are run by boards elected and people who do ministry have no connection to any Church. All the works are NOT resulting in the building of Body of Christ as mentioned in Eph 4:11.

To find our ministry, we need to be part of a local Body of Christ. Then the Lord who is head of that Body will show how we can bless that Church. You can be a prophet or a teacher or an evangelist etc.

This is what I do, I am part of a local Body of Christ, I know my role in that body and I do it along with my regular job. Everything resulting in Building up of the Body of Christ. As simple as it is.

I would suggest you to start praying that the Lord will bring you to a local representation of his Body of Believers. Then from there, you will get your calling.

2020/5/29 18:10Profile
luka

Jos, Nigeria

Re:

Bro sree wrote "I would suggest you to start praying that the Lord will bring you to a local representation of his Body of Believers. Then from there, you will get your calling."

Thanks for saying that. Jesus is the head of the body and from Him everything flows- our gifts, roles and designations etc. Go to Him and you will find Him true who has abundantly promised to answer all who call on Him.

OP said he is not at peace... This reminded me of the verse of that hymn "o what peace we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear. All because we do not carry everything to God in prayer."
The Lord bless you all my dear brethren.

2020/5/30 8:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy