SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Where are the old time pentecostal preachers today?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Where are the old time pentecostal preachers today?

We often lament the state of the church as apathetic, formal, legalistic or hyper this and that.

I believe the main reason is, either people have never been born again or if they were converted they never experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit. They are not filled with the Holy Spirit, because they did not know they had to, despite scripture telling us clearly. People think it is just optional, or they think conversion equals the baptism of the Holy Ghost.

I still believe, that unless you are baptized with the Holy Spirit, your conversion is not complete, even if you can preach as Appollos.

In the early church and in all of Pauls letter, having the baptism of the Holy Spirit was emphasized and assumed. There were no churches that taught otherwise, though they may have fallen into legalism or carnality and needed correction.

They all knew tongues, prophesies and miracles.

I just listened to the late B.H. Clendennen on the Holy Spirit, a man of God who was unashamedly pentecostal, he had the holy anger paired with throbbing love for God and compassion for the lost that marked that men of God of days past.

Nowadays charismatic is a cussword in many circles and pentecostals are seen as a relict of past, uneducated and simple folks, prone to emotionalism and lacking discernment.

Where are the good old time pentecostal revival preachers? Have we traded dead theology for annointed preaching? Show me the man of God of today who rattles the doors of heavens door for the lost, whom God can trust with the power to proclaim, prophesy miracles and healing?

Have we made mere knowledge of biblical things and idol that competes with intimacy and authority with God?

Will God come back for a church that is obsessed with itself, that takes pride in having superior knowledge over and above others?

Where are the Wilkersons, Ravenhills, Clendennens, James A.Stuarts, Duncan Cambells and Smith Wigglesworths and many of their sort today?

Is the only thing left of them sepia photographs and squeaky remastered tape recordings?

I hear all sort of good messages out on the internet, but who still preaches about the baptism of the Holy Spirit today?

2020/5/17 16:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Where are the old time pentecostal preachers today?

For some reason God has not chosen to bring a man filled with the HS and holy unction to widespread public attention- yet.

The popular preachers today are great at looking trendy (torn jeans and all) and spouting man’s wisdom disguised as “groundbreaking” spiritual insights but that’s about it.

I’m waiting to see when the real deal will arrive on the scene.

I can’t help but think of John the Baptist. He was truly anointed and said very hard things but he was so authentic that not even Herod Antipas could stop listening.

2020/5/17 16:53Profile

Hi dear brother narrowpath.

A beloved brother shared this link with me, and when I read your post, I was reminded of it.

Is this along the lines of the kind of preaching that you speak of?

https://youtu.be/FYgc_dIuhYo

2020/5/17 17:43
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Like this one https://youtu.be/1m3_4qWcUy0

2020/5/17 17:58Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

There are still some preaching on the necessity of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. You mentioned B.H. Clendennen, there are some that he had tremendous influence on from the School of Christ that preach this, Duke and Daren Downs and Lee Shipp come to mind.

In Christ,

2020/5/17 21:52Profile
wijnand

To be honest, I'm praying not for one man that is annointed with the Spirit, but I pray that the entire church will be like that. That every true believer will be a witness for Christ and a disciplemaker. After the cross I don't see much "one man shows", but a church with Gods life and power in/on it.

At this moment there is revival in many countries, but there is no focus on one preacher or anything. The whole church in those countries is on fire and annoited.

The issue in our countries that don't have such a move of Gods Spirit is not that we need a preacher, but that we need God Himself. That's my desire and I believe that is what is needed.

2020/5/19 2:23Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Well, that would be the best, yet God prefers to work through vessels, revival preachers and intercessors or a small band of people to form a the sourdough that works through the whole lump, like the Moravians.

2 Chr 16:9 For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.

Romans 10:14-15
14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

It is the annointed word that transfers life.

I posted this post because I am preaching to a congregation where I see a lot of spiritual deadness and I know that I have to see to it, that my heart is perfect towards Him, if I want to become a vessel to pour out his spirit-soaked word.

2020/5/19 12:50Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re: AMEN NP

Well stated, my brother.
There are a few of us who hold fast and transfer HIS life to others. It is the anointing, the power of GOD to do what HE has called us to do. HE empowers our obedience to speak the TRUTH in love, and lives are changed. And we are so humbly grateful to serve HIM and HIS body this way. Sad thing is, there are not many of us around these days. Worse, there are even fewer who would have us come and preach a week, month, or year of meetings. Why? Apostasy. IN full bloom before our eyes. And it is so sad to witness. It makes you wonder why folks "come to church" at all. Trying to drink for GOD's cup, and the devils cup at the same time. May it never be.
GOD bless you dear sir, for speaking the TRUTH in love.

Lahry (OFG)

2020/5/31 7:38Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Dear Brother Lahry, you do not know how much your words mean to me. Right now I am in a fierly trial and under accusations that, if proven true, disqualify a man not only from leading and preaching but from the kingdom of God altogether. Everything in my flesh wants to vindicate myself, but I ask God to give me grace to stand. Just now asked God to send me a dewdrop of grace to help me and you gave me a cup of refreshing water.
Thanks brother, God bless you!

2020/5/31 9:56Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

The Smith Wigglesworth's of their generation were not famous in their time, we must remember that.

I was listening to Lester Sumrall talk about being in England in the 1930's and Smith invited him to his home for lunch and that started 2 years worth of spending afternoons with Smith till the threat of Hitler made him leave. And no one was there, Lester thought there should be a line at Smith's door but there was no one.

There are excellent Holy Spirit filled men (and women) today that are here in America and I have heard a few here in the good ole South! They are not famous but they are faithful.

Oh that there were more who lived and moved and had their being in Christ!

God bless you and give you strength while traveling through your valley,
Lisa

2020/6/3 17:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy