SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How Spurgeon Responded During a Severe Epidemic in His Midst

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
staff

Re:

Hi
So Ive been watching an american doctor qoute the Cdc seasonal flu of 2019 2020 season as somewhere between 22,000 and 55,000 deaths .Already the US is at 65,000 plus deaths for corona virius and thats after the lockdown has been in place for many weeks.This doctor says a good average would be 1 in 1000 die from flu each year.Already we are at 2 in a thousand for Corona virus and thats after the strong measures.
Also important is the incubation period of the flu is shorter ie you get infected and have the symtoms 3 days later but an average 5 days on corona.
On hospitalization
Flu patients :If you get the flu around 2percent need to be hospitalized
Covid:If you get covid around 20 percent need to be hospitalized (as of march 18 figures)
That means a possible huge pressure on the health system.
Treatment:
Their is a flu vaccine although not perfect it does help reduce the amount and severity of the flu.Also their are anti viral drugs .Corona virus up until yesterday with Remdeisvir their was no proven treatment

I think comparing flu to coronavirus to being the same doesnt wash at all,staff

2020/5/3 19:13Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Oracio,
Isnt it more presumptuous to think that Spurgeon would keep ministering knowing that he could cause people to die?Spurgeon would do what other Christian leaders did today and distanced himself.

I think your CDC figures are wrong .Here is a link from right now reading 65,000 deaths from corona virus
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Even if you take that 74,000 die from Corona thats only because people followed guidelines ,social distanced etc if they had not the figure would be very much higher .So again only if you compare flu with corona with social distancing in place are the figures anywhere near similar ,
staff

2020/5/3 19:25Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
I think your CDC figures are wrong .Here is a link from right now reading 65,000 deaths from corona virus
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/cases-in-us.html

Yes, I realized that there are two figures that have been on the CDC's website, one which is a "provisional" count and the other which is supposedly more up to date. Here's the chart that had the 37k figure I was referring to:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

2020/5/3 19:29Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Oracio,
I heard this brilliant qoute
A sucessfully halted pandemic is indistinguishable from an over reaction.staff

2020/5/3 19:35Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Oracio,

I think a bigger question revolves around this.

As Christians we know that at some stage the enemy will try to take over control completely of the worlds systems and we dont want to be caught out!
It is so difficult to know is this the time or is that he time and so we react differently.
staff

2020/5/3 19:42Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Isnt it more presumptuous to think that Spurgeon would keep ministering knowing that he could cause people to die?Spurgeon would do what other Christian leaders did today and distanced himself.

I think it can be argued that it's possible that Spurgeon could have sided with those pastors who have continued to congregate in spite of the situation. There is a handful of respectable pastors that have had that conviction. Those pastors have based their decision on several factors, first of which is their desire to obey Scripture; also scientific data available to us, and using their God-given logic. Spurgeon whould have had to consider both sides prayerfully and biblically.

Both of us can share info from certain doctors, scientists and other sources and our info and conclusions may yet be contradictory.

That's why I think it's beneficial if we are open to differing sides of this issue, because there are respectable professionals on both sides.

2020/5/3 19:44Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Hi Oracio,

I think a bigger question revolves around this.

As Christians we know that at some stage the enemy will try to take over control completely of the worlds systems and we dont want to be caught out!
It is so difficult to know is this the time or is that he time and so we react differently.
staff

Not sure what you mean by being "caught out." Could you explain a bit brother?

2020/5/3 19:51Profile
staff

Re:

Hi
By Caught out I simply mean,let it happen and not react,staff

2020/5/3 20:01Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Oracio
Their is no way the figures in any stretch of the imagination show that the Flu being the same as Covid 19 .
Look at them
With social distancing 65,000(my guess it will be closer to 90 to 100,000 in the end)

Flu Max 60,000( 2018 Was 35,000 but this year It could be as low as 22,000)
Flu is only in the same ball park as Covid only if you take into account that social distancing measures were put in place.
If social distancing was not put in place what would the figure be?I dont know but it would have been a huge amount more if everyone went to ball games ,concerts ,restaurants and Churches that is for sure,staff

2020/5/3 20:12Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Hi
By Caught out I simply mean,let it happen and not react,staff

I see. A couple things come to mind. Firstly, even when the enemy is exerting his final power over the saints via tyrannical government agents, Christians must never disobey Scriptural mandates such as assembling together, keeping the Lord's Supper, performing baptisms, praying for one another in person, and laying on of hands (for example, elders are to anoint the sick with oil per James 5:14, and elders and deacons are to be appointed via the laying on of hands as seen in Acts 6:6). I venture to say that those biblical ordinances and/or mandates and practices are non-negotiables regardless of any kind of oppression or persecution brought upon the Church.

Secondly, there are times when it's right for Christians to speak up and stand up for their rights and freedoms, as we see with Paul in Acts 22:25 and other places in Acts. If there is a possibility of keeping certain freedoms that will continue to help advance the gospel without hindrance, why not take advantage of that? Why give up our freedoms so easily without any kind of protest?

2020/5/3 20:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy