SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does God still speak to us today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Reformed

Generally it’s a doctrinal disposition relating, but not limited to, the sovereignty of God in His election of those whom will be saved because man has no free will with which to choose to obey God because man is totally depraved from the fall and as such rendered completely incapable of responding to God by any means other than God Himself “causing” it which leads to being elected by God to be saved and hence “reformed” -

The reason I posted the link with that distinction is a comment from Deogloria to me on another thread where he stated there is no scriptural reference to support the idea that the Lord speaks to us personally and directly on current terms- so having observed that Deo was most likely in the “reformed” camp, I was hoping he’d give it a chance since this brother is from the reformed camp as well :)

As a general rule - reformed camp is heavy on “logos” written word
- the free willers tend to be heavy on the “rhema” or revealed word

Hope that helps 🙏🏻
I’m sure there are other better suited to explain

2020/4/6 10:40Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Fletcher

Thanks for the explanation. So, if he doesn’t/can’t speak to us directly, does this mean there are no modern-day prophets? Do you believe the enemy can speak to us? When we make a commitment to Christ and the Holy Spirit enters us, doesn’t the spirit guide us? Can the spirit guide us without speaking to us? Didn’t God speak to Elijah in a still small voice? The reason I can perceive and receive thoughts of God in the first place is because my spirit is alive to him, and His Word dwells in me.

Of course, If we don't know His Word we will never know His voice, and of course if our spirit is to be a sure guide, it has to be seasoned with the word of God. I understand this, otherwise you'll never be able to distinguish between our own thoughts, God's thoughts, and thoughts from the devil. I know I have a lot of questions, but I feel my questions are good questions, I have just never heard, or been a member of any Church, that believed that God doesn’t speak to us outside of the word.

2020/4/6 11:10Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Bill

Yes we share a common understanding of this topic and as such both have questions that we believe are a good thing :)

In my personal experience the Lord speaks to me in a host of different ways and I’m convinced that there are more ways that He is speaking that I’m just too full, too distracted to perceive and understand... but He gives grace and will reward those whom diligently seek Him :))) “if anyone lacks wisdom, ask and the Lord will give generously”

It is a foreign thing to me that God wouldn’t communicate directly with His children... I mean in the Old Covenant there was a “priest craft” and in allot of cases the people were dependent on either the priest or prophet to know what God was sayin and these had to make sacrifices over and over so as to enter into that holy place but we have a High Priest that has made a once and for all sacrifice that no tribe gives attendance at the alter and afterwards sat down at the right hand of God the Father and He (Jesus) ever liveth to make intercession for us - so that we can be in fellowship and communion with the Lord :)))
“And this IS ETERNAL LIFE, that they KNOW YOU the one true and living God”
How can we be in fellowship much less communion without reciprocal communications??
Does not the testimony of the scriptures themselves bear this out??
“My sheep will hear my voice” = Jesus

Honestly brother Bill, I don’t know how I’d make it if I didn’t hear and be led by His voice! It is literally my spiritual food! Without which I would starve to death ... even in the times where the Lord has be quiet, hiding Himself as it were, I initially panicked and got a bit freaked out but over time realized He was using this to grow me in Him and Him in me, by faith... 😇🙏🏻

I would argue the most basic aspect of our faith,... even grace itself being the divine influence of God on our heart is itself a means of Him speaking ;)

2020/4/6 13:08Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Fletcher

Wow! awesome response, and I could tell it was from the heart, thank you so much!

2020/4/6 14:09Profile
deogloria

Re:

Laos: Former Soldier Jailed for Christian Witness

This eye-opening documentary features the inspiring testimony of Bounchan who was imprisoned and tortured for his Christian witness in the Southeast Asian nation of Laos. Instead of food, what he wanted more than anything was a Bible. Prior to finding Christ, Bounchan served his communist country as a soldier and later as Assistant District Governor. The following powerful re-enactment demonstrates his overcoming faith and perseverance in the midst of persecution, while highlighting the importance of writing letters to those imprisoned for the sake of Christ!
Length 5:30
From The Voice of the Martyrs USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbqgssIKx_U

Edit:
just like to add Greg edited my original post

2020/4/7 4:31Profile
NeedHim2018

Re:

Just wanted to share this wonderful video of how God used a cleaner in the life of a man who had Covid 19. God Bless! :)

https://youtu.be/Pp98cK4YIoM

2020/4/7 22:28Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: gag orders

There are all kinds of reasons why Jesus has been given a gag-order. No speaking to anyone, no 'voice' no conversation, no commands or instructions. Jesus spoke through the apostles and that's it.

So, as this works out...

They that want guidance cannot believe God to speak to them. They must believe only in man speaking.
They that need instruction cannot believe God to give wisdom, only to seek out some man for wisdom and he must speak.
They that need correction cannot believe God to correct them, they must believe man alone corrects.

All of this is because if God speaks, somehow that means they are receiving revelation=scripture outside of the bible and therefore automatically adding to the word of God.

I will say without hesitation their conclusions are utterly false and should be deemed false teaching.
I will also say that such conclusions demands that Christians do not learn from the Holy Spirit instructing them but from the approved interpretations and doctrines of various men.
Those same men will exclude you from the Church, from the righteous and from salvation if you disregard their teaching on this subject.

It boils down to a very simple falsehood but well disguised in theological jargon, namely "if you believe God speaks to you, then you are believing in the teachings of men, and if you stop listening to what we say you are not listening to what God says".

The irony is sickening.

They have taken it upon themselves to be the 'voice of God' so long as they can quote a bible verse to keep you in line.

This kind of thinking I have refused and rebuked all my Christian life, stepping out of atheism into Christianity I learned God speaks directly to me about many things. I also learned that preachers and teachers of scripture can shut off the voice of God to them, tell me its out of love for scripture and expect me to put a gag-order on God in order that I may gain their approval.

2020/4/13 14:02Profile
Elibeth

Re:

*Does The Lord speak to us today ?

Surely,.. of course He does !!

Why else would He want us to have ‘eyes to see and ears to hear what The Spirit / He says ?

Mark 7:16 (KJV)
“If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.”

Revelation 2:7 (KJV)
“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto
the churches; ...”

Revelation 2:17 (KJV)
“He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth [it].”
~~~~~~~~
*(God, is a Spirit, He speaks to us , we know, through The /His Spirit.)

~~~~~~~~~
Mark 8:18 (KJV)
“Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? and do ye not remember? “
~~~~~~
Luke 10:23-24 (KJV)
23 “And he turned him unto [his] disciples, and said privately, Blessed [are] the eyes which see the things that ye see:

24 “For I tell you, that many prophets and kings have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen [them]; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard [them].“
~~~~~~~
From the very beginning that His Spirit, that He begins to draw us by His Spirit of Grace,.. He speaks to us right then,.. calling us by His Name, calling us by His by His Word, to come to Him .( His Name is His Word , The Whole Word of God)
~~~~~~~~
The Spirit of Grace stays w/ us, to continue ‘His Work IN us.
( remember ,.. The Father did ‘The Work’ IN Him(Jesus)... Jesus heard His Father’s every Word. ( ears to hear)

~~~~~~~
Matthew 13:15-16 (KJV)
“15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and [their] ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with [their] eyes, and hear with [their] ears, and should understand with [their] heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16 “But blessed [are] your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.”
~~~~~~~
1 John 2:27 (KJV)
“But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing
‘teacheth you’ of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.“
~~~~~~~~
Revelation 3:18 (KJV)
“I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and [that] the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.”

~~~~~~~🙏♥️
elizabeth

2020/4/13 15:39Profile
NeedHim2018

Re:

Thank you brothers and sisters. Appreciate what you've shared from your hearts..what He has put on your hearts! I believe that God is wanting to communicate something to us during this present crisis..to draw near to him..to purify our hearts..to depend on Him alone. This was always why He sent/allowed judgements and corrections to His people Isreal..to show them the conditions of their hearts and to demonstrate the folly of their ways. To woo them back to their God who was always their only hope, and their first love.

1 Peter 4:17
"For the time is come that judgement must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?"

Psalm 18:2
"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold"

Luke 21:28
" And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh"

Praise the Lord. God bless :)
John

2020/4/14 0:36Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Elizabeth:

So the scriptures are not sufficient for you? You need to add to the word of God by hearing voices?

Are you an apostle?

Too many 'hear' God now, and they are false teachers, so many claim to hear God, are you like Joseph Smith or one of the false teachers getting visions and dreams that have long since passed away?

Now that we have the scripture we put away childish things, now we know because the perfect 'scripture' has come.

This kind of rhetoric is spewed upon anyone who claims to hear the voice of God speaking to them.
Ive had many a conversation with those of this persuasion, by the end, I am usually branded a false prophet/teacher, I am adding to the word of God, I am hearing voices...and from some I have been accused of being demon possessed.

I sat down years ago and thought through their accusations against me and against any of my brothers/sister who are persuaded God speaks to them
I recognized blatant hypocrisy and contradiction
I recognized blatant interpretational error
I recognized blatant logical fallacy
I recognized blind adherence to an over-realized eschatology that not only deprives them of a personal walk with Jesus but anyone else seeking that intimate and close walk with God.

I am reformed in theology...but its a sad sad sad thing many of those reformed believe the non-sense I mentioned above and just as quickly condemn me as false as soon as I don't fit their paradigm.

2020/4/14 11:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy