SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : THE SABBATH COMMANDMENT - My Personal Testimony

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Ron wrote:

Quote:

Burnt offering, peace offerings, tithes and sabbaths were made obligatory upon the Covenant people of Israel at Sinai. To fail to keep these commands was sin, but none of these are obligatory under the New Covenant. The Sinai covenant with its obligations and mitigating sacrifices was always intended to be a temporary expedient;

Gal. 3:19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

We should carefully note the words 'added' and 'until'; these words put the Covenant at Sinai into a clear context.

I highly enjoyed your insight here, and in this post in general. Very very good.

2005/7/23 10:58Profile
Compton

Re:

I agree with you KJimmy, this is a good thread.

Quote:
Lets change the metaphor into one of walking. Would you prefer to have a detailed map or a personal guide?

A detailed map.

"Personal guides" come in all flavors, shapes and sizes. They have led many astray.... I have seen so many of the "God spoke to me" types, yet none agree, sadly nothing seems to add up to a people manifesting the kingdom of God in unison.

We may become cynical about the sin we see in others, but following the law (detailed map) does not remove our own inward sin. Others can expound this more clearly then myself. Wanting to follow the detailed map is a fine thing but we have a comforter who teaches us with the mind of Christ. He does not walk with our outer man like the law does...He reveals what's in our hearts.

Hypocrisy in the church may tempt us to believe that the law has a power of enforcement that the Spirit does not...as if the Holy Spirit is less "strict" or clear then the law. Yet this implies divergence or disparity of intention between God's holy law and God's Holy Spirit where none exists.

If we want to hold one other accountable to the letter of the law, let's all the more hold one other accountable to the heart of the law. Paul challenged those who preached the law to preach all of it, including the promise. The heart of the law is the same for Moses or Jesus, but only Jesus can fulfill the promise to place this heart within each of us. This is first and foremost not the power to "do" but power to "be", which is the difference between following the law and fulfilling the law.

I thought this recent Oswald Chambers post from Greg touches on this difference between the "detailed map" and the "personal guide".

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6413&forum=45]Disposition and Deeds[/url]

Blessings,

MC

2005/7/23 14:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy