SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Thomas Vincent, God's Terrible Voice in the City

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
CofG

Cambodia

Thomas Vincent, God's Terrible Voice in the City

Thomas Vincent was a preacher and writer during the time of the great plague and great fire that struck London in the 1600s. He wrote a book called the True Christian's Love of the Unseen Christ. It is relatively unknown but represents one of the great books for establishing the worthiness of Christ to be loved. It is very Scriptural and very experiential.

He also wrote a book called God's Terrible Voice in the City which was his work to explain how God was at work in the terrible times that London went through when a terrible and deadly plague struck London and then a terrible fire.

Vincent was no ordinary man. He had a huge heart for Jesus and a huge heart for the needy and lost. Not only did he preach and write the truth with great unction and clarity, but he also worked tirelessly during the plague going house to house to minister to those who were suffering with the disease. He did not quarantine, he went into the storm and risked his own life daily by exposing himself to the plague in the most desperate parts of London. He had a family. He was one of the most compassionate and fearless Christian's of his day when people needed the most help.

I highly recommend his book on God's terrible voice in the city. In a time when people have the time to read, this book presents a view point that is helpful and inspiring and not only brings understanding but is so helpful to directing the heart as to how to love and minister to the needs of peoples in troubling and fearful times.

His other book on the True Christian's Love of the Unseen Christ is a great book to read as well when social distancing drives us to close the distance between ourselves and Jesus. It is an exhortation for those who find that their love of Jesus has waned or never really existed and it is also a great fan for the flames of hearts to grow even brighter and warmer for those who love Him already.

Both books are available on pdf but can be purchased as well.

2020/3/31 5:38Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re: Thomas Vincent, God's Terrible Voice in the City

I wanted to add a couple of quotes from Thomas Vincent that show his heart for Jesus.

The night before his death, he broke out in the following language, expressive of his comfort, peace and joy, "Farewell world—the pleasures, profits, and honors of the world! Farewell sin! I shall forever be with the Lord! Farewell my dear wife, farewell my dear children, farewell my servants, and farewell my spiritual children."

With the latter, he left the following advice, "Be careful in your choice of a pastor; choose one who in his doctrine, life, and manners, may adorn the gospel. I shall be glad to meet you all in heaven."

The approach of the last enemy he hailed thusly, "Hasten, hasten, oh hasten death! Where is your bow, where your arrows? Come, come, come, I am yet in the body, I am yet on earth—but it is heaven, heaven, heaven I would gladly be at! I seek death—but cannot find it. How long, O Lord, holy and true?"

He could scarcely reconcile the thoughts of his recovery, and said to his physician, "Why do you come to keep me out of heaven?" His holy longing to be with Christ he expressed thus, "Dear Jesus, come and take me away! I have no business here; my work is done, my hour-glass has run out, my strength is gone, why shall I stay behind? Oh, come, come! Be as a roe upon the mountains of spices. How long shall I wait and cry? How long shall I be absent from You? Oh, come and take me to Yourself, and give me possession of that happiness which is above—the vision of Yourself, perfect likeness to Yourself, full fruition of Yourself, without any interruption or end! O come, dear Jesus, how long before You send Your chariots? O come down to me—and take me up to You!"

Certain men have been able by God's grace to reconcile and even embrace the goodness of God in material temporal blessings and the severity of God in His temporal judgments. Thomas Vincent experienced in real and deeply personal ways the overwhelming loving kindness of God and the severity of God's loving and merciful temporal judgments for mankind and for His people. He could embrace both as a blessing. For the sake of loving all that God is and embracing the whole of God's counsel, I hope we can honor God the same. It really is almost idolatry to do otherwise.

2020/3/31 9:51Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

I have read Jeremiah Burroughs book "Gospel Fear", I loved it...actually Ive read it a couple of times. I highly recommend it. I think Thomas Vincent wrote the preface...unfortunately for many reading this kind of book has no place in their heart.

Don't be that guy.

I am familiar with Vincents' catechism explained.

I want to get his "fire and brimstone".

heres Vincents book if you want to buy it.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-true-christians-love-to-the-unseen-christ-puritan-writings_thomas-vincent/492865/#isbn=1877611573&idiq=7481987

Thanks for the heads up on this book Robert.

2020/3/31 16:22Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Thanks Brother Marvin,

Vincent was just an amazing man of God in practice. He loved Jesus so personally, so deeply and so joyfully. Because of this deep love, he found it not a burden to lay down his life for those in the lowest place. He was relentless and tireless with love for the lost and God's people.

One thing he never lost sight of was that God delighted to show mercy AND he saw God's temporal warnings through God's temporal judgments as God's mercy. Basically God was, through increasingly terrible situations, shouting at men who had become dull of hearing and who had previously ignored God's gentle voice of pleading and persuasion. Hard of hearing and hard of heart are what necessitated louder and more alarming "calls" to repentance and faith in Jesus. Also, God at times had to shout even at His own people as He called for His people to come out from the world they had gotten too dangerously comfortable with.

Vincent knew God in ways I want to.

2020/3/31 16:50Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy