SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Hi Staff:

Ok so if I were to attend a meeting In Corinth or Ephesus and one of the Elders were teaching I should find (after the pattern of our Lord set down by Paul his apostel)

1. A specific leader who is instructing in the word of God
2. An order where tongues are not used without interpretation.
3. Prophecies are two or at most three and that in order and without over speaking one another.
4. I should find women covered.
5. I should find women silent unless prophecying or edifying the Church according to their gifting.
6. I should find singing of hymns or prayers and worship of some sort.
7. I should find order, peace, a sense of brotherly love and difference to one another.
8. I should find Jesus among us where two or more are gathered.
9. I should find Christ as the central leader as a general understanding and submission to in all that occurs among us when we are gathered.
10. I should find honor given to the leader and Elder.
11. I should find honor and respect given to Deacons/deaconesses as they serve in their various duties.
12. I should find Evangelists and Prophets from time to time entering the congregation and acting after the manner of Paul and Christ in that they are due a blessing from the congregation but neither Evangelist or Prophet enter the congregation with 'receiving monies from them' as their motivation for being there.
13. I should find exhortations and encouragements to those in persecution and hardship for their sacrifice of their well being/ estate/ families for Jesus sake.

This is what I would envision for a 1 century meeting.

Of course our meetings are not like this...the closest thing to it are bible studies or prayer meetings.

I'll continue in another post.

2020/2/28 11:45Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Hi Marvin,

Thanks much for tracking the Scripture on the meeting of saints. I'm interested in the Scripture that you would use to establish the first item in your list. I know there are elders who lead the church generally listed in Scripture. I'm looking for the Scripture that would indicate a "leader" who instructs in the word of God during the meeting. I'm not putting forth a position one way or the other with my question. I can track all the other items on your list right from Scripture but I can't identify a Scripture for the first one.

2020/2/28 16:33Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Glory and Grace,
You may find alot of those things on the list(although in Rev some Churches are better than others) but ephesians says that if the gifts are working in unity the result you get is this :
"As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness [h]in deceitful scheming; 15 but [i]speaking the truth in love, [j]we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together [k]by what every joint supplies, according to the [l]proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love.

1.We will grow up
2 We will be doctrinally solid
3 We will speak truth in love
4 We will grow in Christ
5 We will be fitted together properly
6 The Body will be built up in Love

All of these aspects are influenced by the equipping of the saints .The saints are equipped by the working of the gifts,
Obviously if the gifts are not functioning then the opposite is true in the measure that they are not functioning,
I think thats fair comment dont you?That the gifts have a function and when they are not functioning then their are consequences,
staff
P.s I do think the headcovering in corinth was for a specific reason but thats a different issue.

2020/2/28 17:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy