SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Was Moses a Christian?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ArthurRosh

Re:

Two things stand out for me.

You said that the Lord is our testator. This has to do with the word "testament" (Greek: diatheke) or "covenant".

I was trying to understand the meaning of this word as found in Scripture.

Mark 14:24
This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many.

Matthew 26:28
This is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for a many, for the forgiveness of sins.

When we think of covenant, we think of contract or agreement but the word can also mean testament or will.

How do we best understand this word when it is used in Scripture?

The Greek Lexicon says:

The twofold use of the word is found in the book of Hebrews.

Hebrews 9:16-18
In the case of a will, it is necessary to establish the death of the one who made it, because a will does not take effect until the one who made it has died; it cannot be executed while he is still alive. That is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood.

The author substitutes for the meaning covenant which διαθήκη bears elsewhere in the Epistle that of testament and likens Christ to a testator.

Can you possibly write more about what it means that Christ is our testator.

The second thing is that Moses was both a mediator and a prophet of God's people in the OT and this is what separated him from his brothers.

This is why he said in Numbers 11:29: I wish that all of Jahweh's people were prophets and that Jahweh would put His Spirit on them.

In the New Covenant, the Church is a Royal Priesthood.

Every believer is a mediator of Christ to the world (not to each other because every believer has equal access to God through the one Mediator between God and people, the Man Christ Jesus).

In the New Covenant (Testament) the Holy Spirit lives in every believer.

Did the Holy Spirit live in any believer in the OT?
Did the Holy Spirit live in Moses?

In that case, we can say Moses was not a Christian because he only looked forward to the day when the Spirit would indwell believers.

Is this then how we understand Hebrews 11:39-40: These were all commended for their faith, yet they did not receive what was promised (the indwelling of the Spirit). God had planned something better for us (the indwelling of the Spirit)?

Is this not the inheritance of the New Covenant (Testament)?

2020/2/11 21:28Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

I believe the Holy Spirit did indwell Old Testament believers. Take John the Baptist for example. Before the Holy Spirit was poured out on the day of Pentecost he was filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother's womb.

2020/2/11 23:07Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Hi Arthur: I was thinking this text..

Hebrews 9:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.

I tend to agree with the remainder of your post.

And Yes, John the Baptist was filled with the Spirit in the womb of Elizabeth...but that is the exception to old covenant living.

The promise of the Spirit to the Church is really anti-climatic when we interpret old covenant believers were indwelt the same as new covenant believers.

2020/2/12 11:20Profile
cup

Re:

I agree with Marvin and I think these verses prove that.

Heb 11:39-40, "And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

The old testament saints did not have Christ dwelling within them as we do.

2020/2/13 6:08Profile
followthelamb

In Christ

Online!
 Re:

"Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow." (1 Peter 1:10,11)

Though the above verses mention that the Spirit of Christ/ Messiah was in the prophets, the difference that stands out to me is that though the prophets had the Spirit either upon them or in them at different times, it is only after the death and resurrection that we can be actually born again, born of God, born of the Spirit and become one with Him, part of His own body -- not just indwelt but recreated, a new creation, born again.

2020/2/13 13:53Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

To look at this from another angle, since Christ was a Jew, and we are being transformed into His image, should we over time not resemble a Jew in this life? Moses lived by faith that transforms the earthly image. We live by faith which transforms our earthly image. Christ is the Son of Man.

All are one due to the work of Christ.

2020/2/13 14:26Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Imagine the twelve tribes of Israel camped in the wilderness. If one were to stand far off on the side of a mountain, one would see the cross.

God created a blue print for Israel. In the second chapter of Numbers God defines the exact arrangement of how the tribes would set up camp. Just think of the campfires in the formation of the cross.

The Old Testament is a tutor leading to Christ. And Christ is the same always.

2020/2/13 19:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy