SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Laying on of hands...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Laying on of hands...

Hi all...

My wife and I lead a Chist Centered Addiction Recovery group at our Church. It has been blessed by God, and we have some mighty testimonies of deliverance by His power.

My question is this. (need your opinion)

At the end of each class, I call people forward for prayer. Prayer is one of the keys to success in our Ministry. We are Spirit Filled believers, so laying on of hands is nothing strange.

I call people forward and say that "my wife and i will pray for you."

the problem ( or is it?) is that you usually end up with quite a few people at the altar and some of these are also laying hands on people while praying. They all seem to mean well. But I've had a couple of people express that they don't want somebody laying hands on them that might not have the victory in their life.

I have mixed feelings about it.

In one respect, I feel like God's power protects us and others from this.
On the other hand, I don't want some guy who smokes weed laying hands on some other guy who is trying to be set free from the same thing.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks to everyone and God Bless.

2005/7/15 8:04Profile

Re: Laying on of hands...

Now, Rodney Howard-Browne has a thing where 'no one other than the ministerial staff may lay hands on people.' I totally disagree with it, because to them it has become a disception and a dogma. And it's not just his many other ministries in my area, encourage 'no one to lay hands' but if someone is being led by God, no one will stop that person. (which sometimes doesn't happen)

The only advice i have, is discernment. If you see someone randomly walk up (could be me..knowing me..lol) and lay hands on people, let it happen, and hopefully have the pastor, and/or elders watch him/her from a distance, it he/she is being unfruitful. Stop it immediatly.

Let the Spirit guide you. I have no problem with others laying hands on others, and see nothing wrong with it, unless discernment is not exercised.

2005/7/15 10:43
Azulfire

Washington state

Re:

this a tough question as i believe on laying of hands, I will tell you of my experience of praying and laying on hands on someone whom I was praying for..........
I use to meet with a friend for prayers she was in need, so i would pray for her, shortly I began to desire and crave unmentionable sins......not knowing that by laying on my hands that there would be a transfer of that which was hidden in her heart, after having struggled with it , I asked her if she was perhaps having or experienceing problems in this aera of sin and she looked at me like How did you know? If i had not been a seasoned christian I would of partaken in such sin but recognizing, that this is where i was to interceed for her i quckily layed her burdens down at the feet of jesus, and stood in the gap and prayed.
There is power in laying of hands, I would not want just anyone laying hands on me.....I would not lay hands on anybody else unless i myself have a solid grounding in praying and knowing what i'am in for. I hope this makes sense to you it is hard to explain, for i have never heard of teachings on this but from what i have experinced for myself. Michelle

2005/7/15 11:20Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Jam 5:13 Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
Jam 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

In verse 14 it reads as though the sick person is to call for elders to pray for him or her. Are elders just people who have been in the Lord a long time? Are these elders spoken of people who have demonstrated the gift of healing that is spoken of in 1 Corinthians 12:9? Here it doesn't mention the laying on of hands, though with the anointing of oil one could think it's implied.

Most Christians are willing to pray for others or anoint others but maybe a sick person should intentionally seek people that are elders or there are gifts of healing evident in the person that is doing the praying.

In Christ,
GaryE

2005/7/15 12:34Profile

Re:

Or maybe 'elders' could mean spiritual mature ;-) *not saying it is, but throwing a curve ball*

The elders today seem to have different roles than in a biblical background.

And Azulfire was right, its best to BEFORE you lay hands on someone, that you are GROUNDED on prayer in your own quite time.

2005/7/15 12:48
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Re:

well, keep in mind, that some of the people in my group are not saved...of course, these people do not make a habit of laying on of hands and praying ;-)
As the leader of this group, I know what most of ones that attend are struggling with.
I know one guy in particular, who comes to Church, weeps at the altar, and really trys to serve God. But he struggles with a pot addiction from time to time. (not an everyday thing)

In our class, sometimes he will pray with someone, very genuine. very heart-felt. But, in my mind, sometimes I wonder if he should be doing that?

I'm not judging him, I just want to be a good leader. Plus, I don't want to hurt his feelings or hinder is walk with the Lord.

Keep me in your prayers, the group is growing. Peoples lives are changing by the power of God!

Chains and shackles are falling off!

Thank you Lord!

2005/7/15 13:26Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Quote:
Chains and shackles are falling off!

Praise the Lord!

2005/7/15 13:43Profile
todd

California

Sentry,

First of all I think your ministry sounds great. What a wonderful thing to help people with. It's great to hear that God is using you to set people free.

I think what you describe is a problem. Clearly there is great power in the laying on of hands. Although this power does seem somewhat mysterious, one thing that seems clear is that transferance (in some degree/measure/form) takes place.

I would not want anyone laying their hands on me that I didn't trust. Sometimes at my Church they call for a ministry time at the altar. Sometimes people come up and pray for you, often laying on hands. I can be very confident and trusting in this situation because I feel sure the leadership is watching and they know who they allow to minister in this setting and who they don't. I am aware of a group of people who have been approved to be a part of the "ministry team" at the church and these are the only ones laying hands on people. But there does come a point where I just have to sit back and trust the leadership of my church and trust God.

It seems clear that some type of authority structure is best in this kind of situation.

If you and your wife are the leaders, I think a good idea would be for you to take aside some people who you feel are at a place in their walk where it would be appropriate and safe for them to be laying their hands on others in prayer. Again, it seems you come to the place where you must trust God in choosing these people. Once this group is formed, make it a rule that only these people are to lay their hands on others in prayer. Of course the group could be adjusted and become larger or smaller over time.

If you and your wife are the only ones who are in victory in the group, or the only ones who you feel are at a place to be laying hands on others, then I think it's best that only you and your wife lay your hands on others there.

I agree that there is a principle of God's power protecting us, but isn't this a mysterious area? Can Christians ever be decieved? Well then it seems while God's power does protect us, it might not always be a complete protection, right? Ahhh, the mystery of free will.

So, since this principle of God's protection does seem mysterious, it seems proper that we pray about and establish certain structures that would facilitate a safe environment for those we are desiring to help.

My opinion.

2005/7/15 14:36Profile

Re:

Quote:

Sentry wrote:

I know one guy in particular, who comes to Church, weeps at the altar, and really trys to serve God. But he struggles with a pot addiction from time to time. (not an everyday thing)

In our class, sometimes he will pray with someone, very genuine. very heart-felt. But, in my mind, sometimes I wonder if he should be doing that?

I understand your problem. There have been times, where i felt the need to pray for some people cause of 'lack of maturity' in a certain church. And i know some people need Jesus, so id go up there. ***(Lord willing, id pray and ask first, sometimes I jump to it cause i feel strongly impressed to go)*** But, later id be like 'God, why did that happen, im in lust right now, huh? why would you use me'. I never God a straight answer right back (i normally do, from His voice). But it's God's Love covers our sin. We have been redeemed. (sp?) We have been bought. We look at our sin, and dwell on it, but sometimes God is healing us from is slowly or quickly, HE IS STILL OUR HEALER.

I hope that shares some light in it.

2005/7/15 23:38
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Judas was sent out to lay hands on the sick with the other apostles, and he was likely of questionable character even then.

2005/7/15 23:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy