SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : A model for congregational response to a potential shooter

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
burn4Him

Michigan

A model for congregational response to a potential shooter

Does anyone remember the sermon that recounts what happened when a distressed man approached the pulpit with a gun while David Wilkerson was preaching? This was at Times Square Church in New York – a place where lost men with evil intentions and demonic bondage are known to carry lethal weapons. What stood out was how that moment of crisis revealed the fundamental position of brother Wilkerson’s heart. By the power of the indwelling Spirit of Christ, he was able to exhibit an unshaken spiritual authority speaking in the interest of a lost soul. No trained response to drop to the floor, just a square look in the eyes and “Son, give me the gun.”

If someone can tell me the name of that sermon, I’d like to listen again. How can we hear that account and not wonder how it would have ended if the congregation had instead responded with a rehearsed security take-down of "the evil threat"? More importantly, how is our Lord best exhibited and glorified in situations like that?

2020/1/2 15:10Profile
leyoung

Re:

Brother,
I don't know the sermon you are referring to but I can picture David Wilkerson's response.

I've been increasingly disturbed by Christians willing to give into fear instead of wielding the sword of the Spirit in all situations.

L

2020/1/3 9:22Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//I've been increasingly disturbed by Christians willing to give into fear instead of wielding the sword of the Spirit in all situations.//

What does this look like when an evildoer comes in with guns blazing? Either the armed sentries shoot immediately (as happened in TX) or lots of folks are going to die.

2020/1/3 16:13Profile

Re:

I attended TSC from 1996 to 2016.

David Wilkerson never said anyone pulled a gun on him while preaching, but I did hear him say that in the early years of TSC (circa 1987-89) that people came to altar weeping, setting down their guns and other weapons there. In those days the services were held in Town Hall, then the Nederlander Theatre before the Mark Hellinger Theatre was purchased on W. 51st St.

Those days are long gone.

2020/1/3 17:05

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy