Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Orthodox Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Orthodox Church

This is a good article for understanding the Orthodox Church and its soteriology.

"Many years of missionary work in Eastern Europe and Russia have led me to conclude that the gospel is not often proclaimed in the Orthodox Church. Church services are ritualistic exercises that focus on the icons and the sacraments. It is all too easy to trust in those sacraments to save one and on the icons to sanctify one rather than in the finished work of Christ on the Cross in our behalf. Though we cannot judge what is in the heart of another, we can certainly assume that most people in the Orthodox Church need to hear and respond to the good news of Jesus Christ and need to turn to Him for forgiveness of sins and to trust in His work on the Cross for their salvation." -Dr. D. Trent Hyatt

The full article can be read here:
https://answersingenesis.org/world-religions/eastern-orthodoxy/

2020/1/1 15:01Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Orthodox Church

He ends the article on an interesting note:

"A Concluding Question
One last question might trouble some. Is it possible for a born-again believer to be a practicing member of the Orthodox Church? Of course it is as long as they repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and His death, burial, and Resurrection! As Jesus told Nicodemus, the Spirit blows where He wills (John 3:8). There are without doubt born-again believers in all kinds of places and churches. What is not possible is to claim that all in any particular church or denomination are saved just because they are members of that church or denomination. This certainly applies to the Orthodox Church, but it also applies to Protestant churches. Salvation and membership in the Body of Christ, the Church universal, is dependent on a personal relationship with the Christ of Scripture that comes about by personal repentance and faith in Him, not through belonging to any particular local church, denomination, or tradition. The Lord knows those who are His (2 Timothy 2:19)!

Many years of missionary work in Eastern Europe and Russia have led me to conclude that the gospel is not often proclaimed in the Orthodox Church. Church services are ritualistic exercises that focus on the icons and the sacraments. It is all too easy to trust in those sacraments to save one and on the icons to sanctify one rather than in the finished work of Christ on the Cross in our behalf. Though we cannot judge what is in the heart of another, we can certainly assume that most people in the Orthodox Church need to hear and respond to the good news of Jesus Christ and need to turn to Him for forgiveness of sins and to trust in His work on the Cross for their salvation. This is, indeed, the message that all people need to hear."

Well there you go, you could say the same of a southern baptist church were many were "raised" in the church and assented to a "sinners prayer" without really repenting.

What is mis-leading is the word "cult" hanging over the article, that is clearly not the case as he gives grace to the Orthodox in the end to be saved "as long as they repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and His death, burial, and Resurrection!"

2020/1/1 18:42Profile
passerby

Re:

We could say that the true church is not composed of groups or churches but by individuals who put their faith in the gospel of Christ and heed their lives to His teaching and guidance as laid down in the bible.

It is our individual participation and obligation as a christian to race for life, to finish it, and dedicate our lives for it.

The prime task in which the apostles were told to do is to proclaim the way of salvation through faith in Christ and to teach in what manner we ought to live.

The only orthodoxy that matters is the one that faithfully follows the teaching of Christ and His apostles. Beware of rituals, ceremonies, and nobilities.

2020/1/1 20:50Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

James McQuilkin who overhearing a Mrs Colville (a Baptist missionary from England) talk to a lady about knowing she was saved, and feeling this lady had a lack of theological learning quizzed her if she was a Calvinist. She responded by saying "I do not care to talk on mere points of doctrine. I would rather speak of the experience of salvation in the soul. If one were to tell me what he knows of the state of his heart towards God, I think I could tell him whether he knows the Lord Jesus savingly."

2020/1/1 21:28Profile
savannah

Re: heart-state

"If one were to tell me what he knows of the state of his heart towards God, I think I could tell him whether he knows the Lord Jesus savingly."

Maybe it'd go something like this;

https://youtu.be/iUV5T9JIJZ0

2020/1/1 22:22Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: a sharp two edged sword

That sword of the Spirit which we use to discern and weigh the doctrines being preached in various churches and denominations is able to part biblical truth from actual practices and beliefs. So this author did part greek orthodoxy in doctrines from biblical revelation.

However as others have wisely considered, the other side of that sword parts our own beliefs and practices from the truth of scripture as well.

I have witnessed first hand in a mainline Pentecostal Church the congregation had almost no understanding of Romans 4 and righteousness by faith. Their preaching on divine love and Holy Spirit indwelling never included God's revelation that we are justified by faith, not by works.

The congregation as a whole was amazed and astounded at the teaching of one of its lay ministers who addressed the topic of righteousness by faith...it was as though they had never heard of such a wonderful truth.

Their repentance from dead works...as great as any that might be found in a Greek Orthodox or Catholic Church was made manifest in their own confessions that they feared the loss of their salvation because they were not righteous or serving God as God had commanded.

This year, let us all believe and live out the word of God so that we are all living epistles known and read of all men.

2020/1/2 11:03Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

My posting this article is not meant to be a blanket indictment of all Orthodox christians. I know there are sincere christians among them. I believe the true church has nothing to do with denominations; it is the Body of Christ and is composed of every blood bought believer.

I agree with you, Greg, many southern Baptists are not saved, they think saying a prayer is a magic formula to keep the out of hell. The same can be said for many denominations.

I was raised Anglican. When I was baptized at age seven, I remember all the kids from Sunday school asking me "Do you feel different?" I honestly answered "No." I took communion many times, that never had any magic cure for sin either. No one in the church, including my parents, made any attempt to explain to me how to know God. I went to a private christian school for three years. Again, I hadn't the foggiest clue of how to be saved. When I was 10 and my parents separated, my father (who was a drug addict, he had relapsed after being clean for 14 years) asked me to say the sinner's prayer. I did; I was given the impression that was all I had to do to be a christian. Nothing happened. My heart was not changed. I was baptized again when I was 18, by my own choice (I was under tremendous conviction of sin then.) Again, no change.

It grieves me to see people staking their souls on some religious hocus pocus, whether that hocus pocus is the Baptist variety, the Orthodox variety, the Catholic variety, the Pentecostal variety or any other.

If and when Orthodox priests actually preach the gospel and souls are saved, and I'm sure it does happen, I leap for joy. I would go to an Orthodox church if the presence of God is there (not a solemn, reverent atmosphere some people mistake for the presence of God.)

What concerns me about their particular denomination is 1. their tendency to elevate tradition above scripture and, 2. their claim to be the only true church (any time a denomination says this you can be sure they aren't.)

2020/1/2 19:54Profile

Re:

Like the Roman Catholics, the Orthodox pray to Mary. The Catholics pray to "saints" and so do the Orthodox. The former bow to statues, and the latter to icons (flat images).

Religiosity is not relationship.

I have many born again Greek friends who came out of the Orthodox church once they were saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, and especially after being baptized in the Holy Spirit. They could no longer remain in a dead church.

B. H. Clendennen, a classical pentecostal preacher & founder of the School of Christ International, said that the biggest enemies of the underground church in Russia were not Russian police or government soldiers, but the Orthodox church prelates who vigorously persecuted those who preached the full Gospel.

2020/1/2 20:24
itysmang

Re:

Did you read Gandhi? Truth is like a big tree. The trunk is one, but many branches and leaves.
How to find out who is actually wrong?

2020/1/4 13:06Profile

Re:

Sadhu Sundar Singh, perhaps India's most famous Christian of the early 20th century, said that if Mahatma Gandhi and Rabindranath Tagore had not visited Europe they would likely have become Christians. When Gandhi met Singh in 1922 Gandhi said, "Finally, a real Christian!" for he had seen so much hypocrisy from nominal followers of Jesus Christ in the western world and from the British colonists in India.

As for what is the true way, have a look at the Bible: 66 books written over the space of 1,600 years by 39 different men inspired of God, and yet their testimony agrees as one. The Bible tells us that God gave the Law, prophets, and Messiah to Israel, and from there the Gospel has gone forth to all nations. There is no other book like it----not the Bhagavad Ghita, the Quran, the Granth Sahib, or any other.

The Bible contains both reliable history and prophecy (much fulfilled, and some soon to be), besides being a guide for life in this world, and revealing the means for eternal salvation in the next.

One can be a Christian in any culture because the kingdom of God is above all nations. When one turns from sin and self-reliance to the living God and receives Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour he has crossed over from death and condemnation to a life and light that will never fade, though this outward body will perish.

Buddhists seek for emptiness, but in Christ there is fullness of joy. Islam says Allah is unknowable, but Jesus Christ reconciles each born again believer to God the Father, and He calls us by name. Hindus seek to pay a karmic debt through millennia of suffering, hoping to be reincarnated into a higher life form until reaching Brahma, but Christ paid all of mankind's sin debt once for all time on Calvary's cross, and the Bible tells us that it is given to each man to die *once*, and afterwards the judgment.

I hope this helps you.

2020/1/4 13:56

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy