Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Medicine in the Future

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
CofG

Cambodia

Re: Medicine in the Future

Perhaps this kind of spiritual health is more important than extending life with whatever medical means are available::

I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better.
But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.
Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, - Philippians 1:23-25

Gene editing can’t achieve this health. Seems to me that the lack of this attitude is a bigger threat.

2019/11/27 6:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

So are y’all like jehovahs witnesses and christian scientists who refuse medical treatment? After all, if God wants you to survive that disease or infection or illness he’ll heal you without treatment.

Right?

You are making it sound as if the truly spiritual among us don’t need doctors.

To which I simply say, “hogwash.”

By the way, ANY medical treatment is an attempt to extend life, so the idea that only gene therapy is somehow trying to artificially extend life rings a little hollow.

2019/11/27 13:17Profile

Re:

You're painting with some rather broad strokes, Todd.

I don't think anyone here is anti-medicine or anti-science (if you are, speak up).

Where some draw the line is with how external it is to the human soul. Fiddling around with the genes may very well affect your mind (granted, just as certain pharmaceuticals do).

I wouldn't want to be a cutting edge recipient of any gene manipulation. Thirty years ago there were thousands of people who had laser surgery on their eyes when it was relatively new, and now they see halos around everything and/or have torn corneas that flap around. Today lasik and cataract surgery have been vastly improved. I had the latter and have 20/20 vision for the first time in forty years.

2019/11/27 13:36
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Do you think our soul resides in our dna?

2019/11/27 14:43Profile

Re:

I believe the human soul is non-corporeal, yet we have physical connections. We have behaviors which are not learned, but genetic. There are twins separated at birth who, much later in life, reconvened to find certain mannerisms, attitudes, choices, and likes identical. I have observed different family members who live far apart with likewise similar traits, even down to the sound of clearing one's throat.

Will genetic alteration affect those personal traits? I don't know. Could someone have insidious purposes with "designer babies," even altering genes that will influence sexual preference? Perhaps.

2019/11/27 16:27
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I agree designer babies and the like is an evil.

What I don’t have a problem with is “fixing” a gene that leads to Alzheimer’s, for example.

2019/11/27 17:30Profile

Re:

Sure, if it can be isolated and have no ill side effects, why not?

2019/11/27 18:40
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Hi Todd, The purpose of my post was not to address whether we should access available technology to extend our lives. To me, the bigger question is “why” or the motive behind wanting to extend our lives. If it is for our own best interest and happiness then one answer. If it is so we can serve others, then another. I was more focused on why we seek to live long . I think that is a very important spiritual question. Maybe some don’t.

2019/11/27 18:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy