Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Medicine in the Future

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Medicine in the Future

I was reading an article about what millennials can expect when they retire.

One of the medical guys said:

“I think it’s very likely with gene editing techniques that we’ll be able to intervene on the genetic predisposition of people, so that if you’re at high risk for certain things like Alzheimer’s and cardiovascular disease, we’ll be able to probably modify the DNA of those individuals to reduce people’s risk for those conditions. So you can go in there and correct these, sort of reverting them back to the better type of gene and taking away that risk for the disease, making more people win the [health] lottery genetically.”

Today, people have procedures like cardiac stents, balloon angioplasties, etc to deal with blocked arteries. The above writer suggested that in the future we will be able to avoid the need for such things because we will be able to modify genes that make us susceptible to coronary artery disease.

This is just in the area of cardiac medicine; as stated the same would hold true for mental issues or any other imaginable physical issue.

Is this idea of “gene editing” wrong?” If you think so, why is it more wrong than having invasive medical procedures, such as bypass surgeries or kidney transplants? It is essentially just surgery on a much much smaller body part.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it but was curious how others felt.

2019/11/25 15:32Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Medicine in the Future

I don't see any problem with it, I wished this would have been in effect before 2-7-2015, when I had a triple bypass and the chainsawed my chest open. :-)

2019/11/25 15:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Exactly Bill!

2019/11/25 18:20Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

Of course, having the Google pop up ads appear before your eyes will be a small price to pay for the genetic manipulation.

All jokes aside, this is only for the very rich.

I have a friend who is a retired doctor who studied at Harvard. He went out to California a few years ago and paid $30,000 for a series of tests which basically telegraphed when and if any conditions would spring up, like dementia, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, various cancers, etc., then taking the steps to delay or eliminate the detected problems which are already in our genetic makeup.

2019/11/26 8:46Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

IN face of all the genetic engineering man can do they will never be able to disannul the sentence imposed upon man "it is appointed unto man once to die..." by God.

From my observation - once you start cutting, subjecting your body to sedatives it seems upset the natural balance that works to maintain health. Many times victims will then fall prey to other unrelated ailments thus filling doctors offices with more patients...

Then there are the procedures that demand treatment in order to maintain life...SIGH

Yup - I am 72 YO...done lived my three score and ten. :-)

Sandra

2019/11/26 10:13Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

You're going to get 70 years and 80 if your strong, if your violent you will not live out half your days.

Genetic modifications or not, God will take you out of the world in his time.

I get it people want to be well, but I also get it that people want to live because there is nothing else...no God, no afterlife, no heaven or hell just death.

Instead of investigating those things, the human mind investigates how to be a god and how to seemingly rule over death/life by it's little science experiments.

No doubt it's coming, our society is being groomed to accept chopping off genitals, hormone therapy, all so they can pretend to live the life they think they want.
The world will find out that choosing your sexuality was a disaster and longevity of life will work out to be the same.

I know there are a thousand others who will find some justification for it...and I suppose they will be the ones to offer themselves up to the surgeons and chemists for experimentation.

2019/11/26 11:13Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

Or how about Timothy Leary having his head cryogenically frozen in the hope that he can have it reattached to a new body...as if he were a biological android and his soul & spirit did not leave the corpse at death to stand before God in judgment.

Tragic.

2019/11/26 12:26Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//All jokes aside, this is only for the very rich.//

It is now but it won’t be in the future, per the article I referenced.

Obviously everyone is still going to die but there is no doubt that life spans have increased over the years due to medical advances and this trend will continue perhaps more so than in prior years.

If someone can differentiate between operating on a defective gene and operating on a defective heart valve, please explain how you do so.

2019/11/26 14:27Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"Genetic modifications or not, God will take you out of the world in his time.
I get it people want to be well, but I also get it that people want to live because there is nothing else...no God, no afterlife, no heaven or hell just death."

AMEN!

This is the truth. Absolutely. It is this truth that enables one to accept death of loved ones - especially if/when it happens before the "three score and ten." In God's economy he will use people to his honor and glory and when that mission is completed he can remove them from the scene and we do well to accept this reality. To howl and go to great lengths to prevent it only exposes one to undue stress. Richard Wurmbrand said it so well, "If God wants me alive persecution cannot kill me."

Sandra

2019/11/26 14:34Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

Todd, should the Lord tarry in coming & should WWIiI also tarry, we will likely see a global economy & technological advancement that will leave most people even in the western world living in third world standards with little or no employment. Most of us will be "Luddites." The 1% will be so insulated & isolated that you probably won't even come across them. There are HUGE changes ahead for the USA and the rest of the world. The millennials who are crying about insurmountable student loans & the painful reality that most will *never* be able to live at the same level their parents did will actually look at their present problems as "the good old days" compared to what is coming to the following generation. Apart from Christ I see a very bleak future for those who are in this world system.

2019/11/26 15:57Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy