SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Spurgeon's standard

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
docs

Spurgeon's standard

"In our Pastor's College definite doctrines are held and taught. We hold by the doctrines of grace and the old orthodox faith, and have no sympathy with the countless theological novelties of the present day, which are novelties only in outward form: in substance they are repetitions of errors exploded long ago. Our standing in doctrinal matters is well known, and we make no profession of latitudinarian charity, yet we find no failure in the number of earnest spirits who rally to our standard, believing that in truth alone can true freedom be found."

(C. H. Spurgeon -1875)

2019/11/22 11:14Profile
savannah

Re: Spurgeon's standard

What book of Spurgeon's can this quote be found in?

2019/11/23 17:38Profile
docs

Re: Spurgeon's quote

"Lectures to My Students" (copyright 1875).

The quote is found in the very first section of the book before the introduction and is found in a 2 page section titled "The Pastor's College." In the paragraph before the one I shared Spurgeon wrote,

"The College aims at training preachers rather than scholars. To develop the faculty of ready speech, to help them understand the word of God, and to foster the spirit of consecration, courage, and confidence in God, are objects so important that we put all other matters into a secondary position. If a student should learn a thousand things, and yet fail to preach the gospel acceptably, his College course will have missed its true design. Should the pursuit of literary prizes, and the ambition for classical honours so occupy his mind as to divert his attention from his life work, they are perilous rather than beneficial. To be wise to win souls is the wisdom ministers should possess."

2019/11/23 19:30Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

In that same book he says that if you aren't barrel chested then you aren't meant to be a preacher because God would have made you big chested if you were.

2019/11/24 1:53Profile
Martyr

United States

Re:

The exact quote: "Physical infirmities raise a question about the call of some excellent men. I would not, like Eusthenes, judge men by their features, but their general physique is no small criterion. That narrow chest does not indicate a man formed for public speech. You may think it odd, but still I feel very well assured, that when a man has a contracted chest, with no distance between his shoulders, the all-wise Creator did not intend him habitually to preach."

This is absolutely ridiculous. Forget Spurgeons standards, stick to Christs.

2019/11/24 1:55Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

Besides, Spurgeon had a barrel belly! ;)

Seriously, he was preaching in an era when there were no microphones, and at the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London he preached to 20,000 at a time. Those are some set of pipes he had (and good building acoustics)!

As we know from the Scriptures, Moses was slow of speech, and God allowed him to convey His message through his brother Aaron (excepting the golden calf incident, of course).

Our Lord can use anyone for His plans, contrary to worldly wisdom.

Still, I like much of what Spurgeon had to say...when he was in line with God's Word.

2019/11/24 4:07Profile
docs

Re:

I can concede your point regarding Spurgeon's statements on preachers and their physical build. He says in his intro that not all people may agree to all that he had written and he understood that. Yet this is just one blemish among a thousand good points he makes in his "Lectures to My Students" which I haven't looked at in about 40 years.

Spurgeon's thoughts in "The Minister's Self-watch" (Lecture I), "The Call to the Ministry" (Lecture II), and "The Preacher's Private Prayer" (Lecture III) are well worth the read for minister or non minister. One disagreeable point does not spoil the all.

2019/11/24 9:42Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

According to spurgeon they teach only orthodox truths from the beginning, I am not sure all can be found in the beginning that they held to as standards but this one teaching on the Trinity was fundamental to the early church and Spurgeon stood for this "truth" also see these quotes by Spurgeon:

“It needs the Trinity to make a Christian, it needs the Trinity to cheer a Christian, it needs the Trinity to complete a Christian, it needs the Trinity to create in a Christian the hope of glory. I always like these passages which bring us so near to the Trinity. Let us pause a while and adore: ‘Glory be unto the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost: as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end! Amen.’ It is most sweet to be called upon to offer special worship unto the one God in the Trinity of his divine Persons, and to feel your heart readily inclined thereto, as we do at this hour”

“When thou sayest, ‘Saviour,’ remember there is a Trinity in that word — the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, this Saviour being three persons under one name. Thou canst not be saved by the Son without the Father, nor by the Father without the Son, nor by Father and Son without the Spirit. But as they are one in creation, so are they one in salvation working together in one God for our salvation, and unto that God be glory everlasting, world without end, Amen.”

“Learn, then, O believer ,to love all the persons of the Divine Trinity alike. Remember that salvation is no more the work of one than of the other. They all three agree in one; and as in the creation they all said, ‘Let us make man;’ so in salvation they all say, ‘Let us save man;’ and each of them does so much of it that it is truly the work of each and undividedly the work of all”

“Get a clear idea, then, of the Trinity in Unity. Do not reason about it; do not try to understand it: remember, it is not your duty to comprehend, but to apprehend such truths as these: you are to believe, rather than to reason. One God in the Trinity of his persons let us know and worship; for remember that, those who do not now this, very seldom know much else about divine things; for a very remarkable fact it is, that when the doctrine of the Trinity is given up, the other doctrines of the evangelical system are pretty sure to be cast to the winds. This doctrine of the Trinity in Unity seems to be the place of standing or falling with public teachers and private believers.”

2019/11/24 11:40Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

I would say blemish is too strong a word, David. Spurgeon merely voiced an opinion. It's not like his booklet is holy writ. If I had read that on my own I would have merely smiled, rolled my eyes, and kept reading. Yes, he has had much to share that is of great benefit.

2019/11/24 13:49Profile
docs

Re:

I can agree. I don't even remember the quote being in the book which I haven't read in about 40 years. Meanwhile, it's loaded on nearly every page with spiritual insight and practical spiritual wisdom and instruction.

2019/11/24 21:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy