SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Andy and the Minister

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Andy and the Minister

Andy and the Minister

One Sunday morning, the minister noticed little Andy standing in the
foyer of the church staring up at a large plaque. It was covered with
names with small American flags mounted on either side of it.

The seven year old had been staring at the plaque for some time, so
the minister walked up, stood beside the little boy, and said quietly,

"Good morning, Andy."

"Good morning sir," he replied, still focused on the plaque.

"Sir, what is this?" he asked the minister.

The minister said, "Well, son, it's a memorial to all the young men
and women who died in the service."

Soberly, they just stood together, staring at the large plaque.

Finally, little Andy's voice, barely audible and trembling with fear, asked, "Which service, the 9:30 or the 11:00?"

I thought you all would enjoy this.

Bub

2005/7/14 9:16

Re: Andy and the Minister

LOL.... now thats pretty funny.

Krispy

2005/7/14 9:26
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: ... needed

:-P

2005/7/14 9:55Profile

Bubba,

I'm not amused. Sorry guys. Been the ridiculed child too often in my life. And been mortally frightened. Believe me, it's not entertaining to be 'Andy'.

2005/7/14 10:30

Re:

Dorcas... I say this with as much compassion as I can muster up... Get a sense of humor!

This joke wasnt making fun of anybody... I dont know how you could draw the conclusion that it was.

Krispy

2005/7/14 11:10

Re: get a sense of humour

Krispy,

I love laughing when it's appropriate.

I read the leading post and spent half an hour writing much more of what I thought about it - about 4 paragraphs to be precise. I didn't feel happy with my attempt, so I decided to cut to the quick, blanked it all out, and you saw what I decided to say.

You call it 'a joke' and quite simply I would not. That's really the heart of the matter. And, I didn't think it was 'funny' for the reasons I gave.

For me, the scenario rings too many bells from my past and it's possible it does for others who read these forums, for all sorts of reasons. As an adult now, I have no intention of glossing over the serious side of the way the 'joke' was put together, nor ignoring the reasons I'm probably not the only person feeling uncomfortable. But hey, I'm comfortable with the way I'm reacting. Sure others will do their own thing, too.

2005/7/14 12:55

Re:

I'm interested in seeing if any others reacted the way you did... If anyone did, please feel free to post... I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around why this joke is offensive. Someone enlighten me, please.

If anyone has a child they appreciate the humor behind this joke... this is something one of my kids would say... out of the mouths of babes, ya know.

I'm totally befuddled. We cant even tell clean jokes on here without this kind of thing happening... or am I completely missing something?

Laugh everybody! C'mon... it's not hard to do!

Krispy

2005/7/14 13:04
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

I thought it was funny.

2005/7/14 16:34Profile
moreofHim

Re: funny

I did think it was funny- the reason being, because it sounds exactly what one of my kids would say. It's just a kid thing.

My only son (the middle child)has a habit of saying really funny but weird things.

One time I was making a menu for the week and I wanted each person in the family to give me one idea of their favorite meal; so I asked C.J. first: "what's one of your favorite things that Mommy makes?"

His answer: the beds.

Another time I was teaching him the Alphabet and we were on letter "B". I was telling C.J. different words that started with "B", like boat, broom, bed, "box"- and then he said "yeah, like a chicken "bawks"- "bawk" "Bawk".

[b]This is the best one though!![/b](I hope Arielle doesn't care that i wrote this about her) When Arielle was about 4, we went to Florida and we ordered her a [b]kiddie cocktail[/b] (for those of you who don't know it's a little kids "drink" that is really just seven-up with some red-grenadine in it to make it pink- and then a cherry in it. This was quite a few years before I surrendered my life totally to the Lord- so no pm's please) Anyway, after she got it and tasted it, i asked how she liked it. She said it was fine, but was it realy made out of "pink kittys". :-P

Some kids just have a way of turning scenerios and words around in their lttle minds.

Kids are hilarious!

In Christ, Chanin

2005/7/14 17:06Profile
Azulfire

Washington state

I really enjoyed this,
it reminds me of how we too out of our young and innocent minds may not understand that certain words would have a few differnt meanings....as far as this young child his only understanding was of his world, his church world in the term of "service"
how many scrapes have we found ourselves involved in because of lack of understanding, with the very words , love? judge/judgment, and many many more words, of double meanings or more as well. awwww the english language..... :-P

2005/7/15 10:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy