SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Why do we say Come Holy Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ArthurRosh

Why do we say Come Holy Spirit?

Why do we say Come Holy Spirit? Does not Spirit live in believers and work powerfully within us (Col. 1:29)? I never understand that prayer because in OT Spirit would come "on" believers but in NT Spirit lives "in" believers. Are we still in OT? The Lord gave His life to give us the Promise of the Father, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to his saints: Christ IN you (Col. 1:26-27). I think it is WE who need to come to Holy Spirit because Spirit wants to fill us and use us for His purposes. I used to think like this, I would feel sometimes in the Spirit and sometimes not in the Spirit (more power, less power) and then I read in Romans 8:9: you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God lives in you! The word of God corrected me to see believers can never be out of the Spirit because they are always in the Spirit because the Spirit is always in them! That is difference between Old & New Covenant. That is why praying for Holy Spirit to come does not make sense because Spirit lives in believers who are the temple of Holy Spirit individually (1 Cor. 6:19) and when gathered together (1 Cor. 3:16). But we need to be filled with the Spirit because even though we are always filled to some degree (because the Holy Spirit lives in us permanently) we are not always full of the Spirit. But that does not mean we should pray for the Spirit to come as if He is not here already. Not only is He here, He lives in us! We are commanded to be filled (Eph. 5:18) or "keep being filled" which is what the Lord said in John 7: If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me. And let him who believes in Me, drink. Unbelievers need to come to Jesus to receive the Living Water (Holy Spirit) and believers need to keep coming and keep drinking the Living Water and keep eating the Heavenly Manna (John 6), to keep filling the tank! Also we need to learn what can grieve the Spirit (Eph. 4:30) which is personal sin and quench the Spirit (1 Thes. 5:19) which I think is activity of Spirit when believers are gathered. Mark 9:50b: Have Salt (Holy Spirit) in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.

2019/11/12 21:28Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy