Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : “Give us this day our daily bread”

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EternalZeal

Missouri

“Give us this day our daily bread”

“Give us this day our daily bread”

This request is profound and delivers the illustration of one who would have his hands open daily before the Father, to receive his “portion”. And if it is a “daily portion”, then surely, one would want to be given that portion in the morning, to take him through the day. The Lord said “In the morning ye shall be filled with bread” (Exodus 16:12). The Psalmist said “Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning (Psalm 143:8). And again, it is written “I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.” (Proverbs 8:17). It was in the morning that the people of Israel gathered up the heavenly bread, lest “When the sun waxed hot, it melted.” And it was in the “coolness of the day” (the morning) that Adam and Eve heard “the voice of the Lord walking in the garden.” If we wait until the “heat” of the day to gather up the heavenly bread of Christ’s virtues and Word, we will find that something of the clarity and something of the sweetness and something of the divine has melted. And so instead of freely grazing in the morning where there is virtually nothing to chafe or divert our contemplations of Christ, we will instead have to labour by the sweat of our brow to leave off so many trifles that have now got hold of the mind and heart to sit and eat of this “bread”.

The people of Israel were to “gather a certain rate every day”. In this, the command was to “Gather of it every man according to his eating…And the children did so, and gathered, some more and some less. And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack.” This is a solemn warning here; not to gather any less or any more than what is needed to sustain us through the day. As we come to the Father, morning by morning, hungering for the daily elements of Christ, we must simply be filled and content with that which He gives us. There are going to be times of great revelation through His Word, and the temptation will be to keep “gathering”. If you do this, you will be gathering more than what was needed and in the end it will breed “worms”, stink and be wasted. If the Lord has touched you and moved you by a text or revealed something of “that which you knew not nor your fathers knew”, this is where you need to “Be still and know that He is God.”

Read John 6:24-58 and let it be settled, if it is not clear yet, the daily bread that we are in need of and beseech the Father for, is Christ Himself. It is the unveiling and revelation of the life of Christ, the works of Christ, the Spirit of Christ, the Word of Christ, the ways of Christ, the virtues of Christ, the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ as “He is before all things, and by Him all things consist…For it pleased the Father that in Him should all the fullness dwell….For of Him, and through Him, and to Him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

2019/11/9 15:03Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy