SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Could it take long for a Christian to realise that something is sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Could it take long for a Christian to realise that something is sin?

Dear brothers and sisters,

is it possible for born again person to sin, without recognising it, and then after certain amount of time (years in some cases) to realise that what he has done, was wrong? Or is this "doctrine of devils"?

I was talking with a pastor on this issue and he said, that a born again person does not live habitually in sin. I do agree. And he said that if one sins, the Holy Spirit convicts the person of that sin and then the man/woman repents.

My understanding: in order to repent of something, you have to realise that it is a sin. But sometimes it seems to me that it takes a long time till one understands that certain behaviour is wrong. Pride, being easily offended... If we talk doctrinally about these things, we all know what is wrong and right, but when it comes to real life - is it not so, that sometimes it takes years till one realises that he has lived in pride, even religious pride. That's just one example, but I think it is not the only one.

And how this does not contradict with 1 John 3:9

"Whosoever is born of God does not commit sin; for his seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

I do not seek an excuse to live in sin. God forbid! I am just a witness to something which I cannot quite explain to myself except with what I stated earlier. "In your Light we shall see Light". Whether you receive the understanding that something is wrong in God's eyes, depends on your walk and communion with Him, right?

2019/11/6 13:47Profile
passerby

Re: Could it take long for a Christian to realise that something is sin?

Early warning and recogninition may come early but total repentance with no turning back may be protracted in real life, which can be so frustrating to watch.

2019/11/6 20:55Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Could it take long for a Christian to realise that something is sin?

Yes I believe so and don’t the scriptures testify that this is so?
How long did it take the Lord to bring conviction to King David after his fall... wasn’t it quite a while ?
How long had Peter been intimidated by those from Jerusalem before Paul rebuked him?

It also becomes somewhat nuanced with things/situations such as found in Romans 14.

Additionally there are numerous verses in the new covenant thar instruct us to admonish, rebuke, turn, etc... other believers who erred and fell into sin- why would those verses be necessary otherwise?

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

How do we “obtain” mercy? And why is that necessary in order to “find grace” ?

2019/11/7 7:34Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

A brand new Christian maybe convicted about many things, but he may not understand all of them to be sin.

New Christians don't even know what questions to ask or what repentance is needed for a great majority of inward sins.

most all get it...no drinkin, cussin or lustin. But there is a lot more than that.

Truth is we are living testimonies to the depth of sin in the human heart and how patient Jesus is with us to purge us from such sins.

There is no one that sinneth not. Just when we think we are in the clear, Jesus takes us to another level of dependence in him, and the only way to get there is through another death to self, a repentance repeated again and again until the end of our journey has brought us to our deaths.

Looking at it this way...you will live a whole life that is going to undergo the exposing operation of the Word and the necessary repentance that is requisite upon a true follower.

Some will immediately complain Brother Marvin is a compromiser with sin and is making light of repentance. As I said the newer believer sees clearly the big stuff in the road he needs to repent of. But in repenting of all of that, he is still terribly ignorant of the sin-root system in his mind and heart.

Here's the rub...It's when the Spirit of God reveals to us these little roots, these foxes that sprout up. But we do not in our own selves have the spiritual eyes to see clearly what is in our hearts and where to begin in repentence.

Forced repentance because of condemnation and guilt does not lead to liberty, it just enslaves the Christian to sin-introspection taking their eyes off Jesus.

2019/11/12 15:37Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Brother Marvin

That is a very articulate and well seasoned thought on the subject that just so happens to be a shared one🙏🏻

2019/11/12 15:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy