Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Enter the Kingdom - Chip Brogden

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
TrueWitness

Re:

Quote:
When I pray, worship, study the word, etc it is not out of a sense of duty but because I want to grow in my relationship with Christ.

Excellent Todd. The spiritual disciplines are best pursued in order to engage with and draw closer to the Lord. Grace is not opposed to effort but to "earning". Mary of Bethany who sat at Jesus' feet chose the good part better than even service. And we all with unveiled face beholding the glory of the Lord are transformed from glory to glory into His image.

-Daniel

2019/10/21 17:35Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Hi Daniel.

Scripture also says that Jesus "manifests" Himself ( with all kinds of spiritual benefits including transformation ) when we love Him and obey Him. That is in the act of loving obedience we behold Christ as He manifests Himself more and more to our soul because we are abiding in Him and through and even because of our loving obedience.

Those who go through sacrificial love and suffering in the service of Christ know this all too well experientially. That is why Paul said in linkage that He could suffer the loss of all things in order to know Him, the power of His resurrection and the "fellowship" of His suffering.

Further, Jesus said that if we abide in Him as the vine then His abundant fruit, answered prayer and His abundant joy would be ours. He defined "abiding" in Him when His word abides in us and elsewhere the Holy Spirit said His word abides in us when we lovingly obey Him.

The truth is there are probably 15 things the Scripture says are key or necessary to have the life of Christ, the strength of Christ, the truth of Christ, the light of Christ, the fruit of Christ filling us and flowing out of us.

Todd is right, just establishing that it is only His life flowing out of us that matters is useful but only as a foundation or baseline or perhaps better, a plumb line.

There are "how to's" in Scripture. Things we do to abide in Him and to walk with Him and to receive from Him that matter in whether His life really is our life. Maybe, it would be helpful if all of us contributed to this thread those Scriptures that speak to the how to's.

Then when we can move out of the mysterious into the real.

2019/10/21 18:54Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Hi Daniel.

Scripture also says that Jesus "manifests" Himself ( with all kinds of spiritual benefits including transformation ) when we love Him and obey Him. That is, in the act of loving obedience we behold Christ as He manifests Himself more and more to our soul because we are abiding in Him and through and even because of our loving obedience.

Those who go through sacrificial love and suffering in the service of Christ know this all too well experientially. That is why Paul said in linkage that He could suffer the loss of all things in order to know Him, the power of His resurrection and the "fellowship" of His suffering.

Further, Jesus said that if we abide in Him as the vine then His abundant fruit, answered prayer and His abundant joy would be ours. He defined "abiding" in Him when His word abides in us and elsewhere the Holy Spirit said His word abides in us when we lovingly obey Him.

The truth is there are probably 15 things the Scripture says are key or necessary to have the life of Christ, the strength of Christ, the truth of Christ, the light of Christ, the fruit of Christ filling us and flowing out of us.

Todd is right, just establishing that it is only His life flowing out of us that matters is useful but only as a foundation or baseline or perhaps better, a plumb line.

There are "how to's" in Scripture. Things we do to abide in Him and to walk with Him and to receive from Him that matter in whether His life really is our life. Maybe, it would be helpful if all of us contributed to this thread those Scriptures that speak to the how to's.

Then when we can move out of the mysterious into the real.

2019/10/21 18:54Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Another question:
How can we enter into His rest, except as the Scripture being quoted in Heb. 3:17-19, ,... in ‘hearing the voice of God’,.. and obeying ?
————-
“¶ Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, TODAY, ‘if’ ye will hear his voice,
—————-
* If you will hear His voice, if you will be led by His Spirit,...
—————-

8 ‘Harden not your hearts,’ as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
———-
(Not to harden our hearts, against His voice,.. His leading’s ...
(What happened in the day of temptation in the wilderness? )
Was God directing them to do something?.. did they hardien their heart,
against His voice ?.... provoking The Lord ?
———-

9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
————
What did the fathers do ?
————

10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
————
Soooo,
——-
11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

12 ¶ Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you ‘an evil heart of unbelief’, in departing from the living God.
—————
* here is what we see that constitutes ‘unbelief’
———-
(In departing from, Who?,.. and Who is The Living God ?)
————
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called TODAY; lest any of you ‘be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.’
————
* important word:
‘DECEITFULNESS’ ,... being deceived by sin.
———-
14 For we are ‘made partakers of Christ’, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

15 While it is said, TODAY, if ye will hear his voice, ‘harden not your hearts,’ as in the provocation.
———-
Repeated again:
TODAY, ..and tomorrow is TODAY, ‘if’ ye will hear His voice,, harden not your hearts, as way back then, and provoke The Lord..
————-
16 ¶ For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.

17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?

18 And to whom sware he that they ‘should not enter into his rest’, but to them that ‘believed not?’
—————
* but what constitutes ‘believing’, but obeying ?
—————-
19 So we see that ‘they could not enter into His rest, ‘because of unbelief.’
—————
What constitutes ‘unbelief’... but Not obeying His voice,.. His leading’s?
————-
So, how/what does ‘His rest’ come by?
——————
And, what about what Bro Robert, said, about ‘ abiding in the vine,.. the vine supplies the branches, with all the necessary ingredients to Live and to grow.
————-
elizabeth

2019/10/21 19:29Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: How To's

Hi Robert,

This is how I see it:

The how-to’s to reject are the futile how-to’s of man’s own work that a man can boast about (Eph. 2:9).

The grand how-to to be desired is how to REST IN CHRIST so that God can work mightily in us as we yield ourselves to Him to be HIS WORKMANSHIP and NOT our own (Eph. 2:10).

Isa. 64:8 –
But now, O LORD, You are our Father,
We are the clay, and You our potter;
And all of us are the work of Your hand.

Man’s RIGHTEOUS deeds that are like a filthy garment to God.

Isa. 64:6 –
For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment;
And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

God alone must be the Fountain from whom we draw all things we need for holiness, work and life. All our springs must be in Christ. To leave God’s fountain and hew our own cisterns is evil in God’s sight.

Jer. 2:13 –
For My people have committed two evils:
They have forsaken Me,
The fountain of living waters,
To hew for themselves cisterns,
Broken cisterns That can hold no water.

1 Cor. 8:6 (NKJV)–
yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.

1 John 5:11-12 –
And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.

Gal. 2:20 (KJV)–
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

1 Cor. 1:30-31 –
But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— so that, just as it is written, "LET HIM WHO BOASTS, BOAST IN THE LORD."

John 4:14 –
But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a fount of water springing up to eternal life.

Ps. 87:7 (NKJV) –
All my springs are in you.

Isa. 55:1 –
Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters;
And you who have no money come, buy and eat.
Come, buy wine and milk
Without money and without cost.

Ps. 16:11 –
You will make known to me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.

We draw from God’s fountain by having faith in and calling on the NAME of the Lord.

John 14:6 –
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

John 20:31 –
but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have LIFE IN HIS NAME.

1 John 3:23 –
And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

Acts 4:12 –
And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved.

Acts 16:31 –
Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved

Acts 2:21 –
And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the lord will be saved.

Ps. 116:13 –
I shall lift up the cup of salvation
And call upon the name of the LORD.

Ps. 20:7-8 –
Some boast in chariots and some in horses,
But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.
They have bowed down and fallen,
But we have risen and stood upright.

Prov. 18:10 –
The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
The righteous runs into it and is safe.

Ps.18:1-3 –
I love You, O LORD, my strength.
The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge;
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised,
And I am saved from my enemies.

It is not by anything we do or bring to God BUT by God’s lovingkindness that we enter God’s house.

Ps. 5:17 –
But as for me, by Your abundant lovingkindness I will enter Your house

We are called to REST in Christ.

Matt. 11:28 –
Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.

Ps. 116:7 –
Return to your rest, O my soul,
For the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.

Heb. 4:10 –
For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.

Ps. 37:5-7 (NKJV) –
Commit your way to the LORD,
Trust also in Him,
And He shall bring it to pass.
He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light,
And your justice as the noonday.
Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him……

Isa. 26:3-4(NKJV) –
You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You.
Trust in the LORD forever,
For in YAH, the LORD, is everlasting strength.

But flesh/self finds it hard to rest in the Lord.

Jer. 6:16 –
Thus says the LORD:
“Stand in the ways and see,
And ask for the old paths, where the good way is,
And walk in it;
Then you will find rest for your souls.
But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’

Isa. 28:12 –
He who said to them,
"Here is rest, give rest to the weary,"
And, "Here is repose,"
but they would not listen.

Isa. 30:15-17 –
For thus the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, has said,
"In repentance and rest you will be saved,
In quietness and trust is your strength."
But you were not willing,
And you said, "No, for we will flee on horses,"
Therefore you shall flee!
"And we will ride on swift horses,"
Therefore those who pursue you shall be swift.
One thousand shall flee at the threat of one,
At the threat of five you shall flee,
Till you are left as a pole on top of a mountain
And as a banner on a hill.

This is what we must fear:

Heb. 4:1-2
Therefore, since the promise to enter his rest remains, let us beware that none of you be found to have fallen short.

Full confidence in Christ. No confidence in self.

Phil. 3:3 –
for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh,

It is God who is at work in us, both to will and to work for His good pleasure (Phil. 2:13).

1 Thess. 5:23-24 –
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.

2019/10/22 4:19Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Hi Jade, that is a lot of Scripture you share and it is all of course true and points to all the "rest" Scriptures and warns against the efforts of flesh. Do you also have others in Scripture that God describes as an acceptable
means that we should pursue to share in more of His life on a daily basis?

2019/10/22 8:14Profile
CofG

Cambodia

Re:

Ok. So here is one way the life of Jesus grows in our lives that involves more than merely resting:

We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair;
persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;
always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.
For we who live are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.
So death is at work in us, but life in you. - 2 Corinthians 4:8-12

2019/10/23 18:18Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

But, Robert, we go through all these with our eyes fixed on Jesus (Heb. 12:1-2), totally RESTING in Jesus and fully TRUSTING in Him as our Mighty Saviour. As we rest and trust and abide in Him and HE IN US, such trials produce in us the peaceable fruit of righteousness (Heb. 12:11, John 15:5).

2 Cor. 12:9-10 (NKJV) –
And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Not I but Christ. My strength is Jesus’ own strength, not Jesus helping ME to be strong. I become totally weak so that Christ Himself can be the mighty strength in me. I take the back seat and let Jesus take full control.

Isa. 30:15 –
For thus the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, has said,
"In repentance and rest you will be saved,
In quietness and trust is your strength."

PSALMS 12:6 (NSAB) –
The words of the LORD are pure words;
As silver tried in a furnace on the earth, refined seven times.

MY COMMENT:
Jesus Himself is the Word of God (John 1:1, Heb. 1:1-2, John 5:39-40).
In our trials, God’s Word to us is:
Jesus is Saviour, a Saviour like silver that has been refined seven times.

COMMENT ON PS. 12:6 BY THOMAS MANION:
“The expression may import two things: first, the infallible certainty of the word; and, secondly, the exact purity. First, the infallible certainty of the word, as gold endureth in the fire when the dross is consumed. Vain conceits comfort us not in a time of trouble; but the word of God, the more it is tried, the more you will find excellency in it – the promise is tried, as well as we are tried, in deep afflictions; but, when it is so, it will be found to be most pure, “Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him” (Prov. 30:5 KJV); as pure gold suffers no loss by the fire, so the promises suffer no loss when they are tried, but stand to us in our greatest troubles. Secondly, it notes the exact perfection of the word: there is no dross in silver and in gold that hath been often refined; so there is no defect in the word of God.”

MY THOUGHT:
In our trials, Christ in us is the pure gold that cannot be melted away. We will prove Him to be our great Saviour, completely trustworthy and mighty to save; our Solid Rock that will never crumble away.
And, in our trials, Christ in us is the pure gold without a speck of defect. We will prove Him to be our PERFECT Saviour.

Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith……

HYMN – LOOK AND LIVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vudmSE2yZQ

Lyrics:
I’ve a message from the Lord, hallelujah!
This message unto you I’ll give,
’Tis recorded in His word, hallelujah!
It is only that you “look and live.”

Refrain:
“Look and live,” my brother, live,
Look to Jesus now, and live;
’Tis recorded in His word, hallelujah!
It is only that you “look and live.”

I’ve a message full of love, hallelujah!
A message, O my friend, for you,
’Tis a message from above, hallelujah!
Jesus said it, and I know ’tis true.

Life is offered unto you, hallelujah!
Eternal life thy soul shall have,
If you’ll only look to Him, hallelujah!
Look to Jesus who alone can save.

I will tell you how I came, hallelujah!
To Jesus when He made me whole—
’Twas believing on His name, hallelujah!
I trusted and He saved my soul.

--- William A. Ogden, 1887

2019/10/24 3:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy