SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : My annual dilemma.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sidewalk

San Diego

My annual dilemma.

Hallowe’en. Anybody else dread the annual expectation to “Just go along with it?”

The 31st is on Thursday this year, and quite frankly I am not having a problem with that. We button up the house and head into town for dinner at one of those buffet style restaurants. We have a leisurely dinner, making trips back to the food stations as we wish- pretending to feel the rocking of the large cruise ship making it’s way across open ocean. That is as much pretending as I want to do.

The real issue for me is the church Hallowe’en party, scheduled for Monday evening the 28th. For those who don’t know, I am the associate pastor for a special church for handicapped adults, we have about a hundred regular attenders and they absolutely love coming to church in costumes, moving with the music, and eating candy and hot dogs. There are costume restrictions- and most of them do fine with that. It is a fun evening- but a break from the serious gospel effort we pursue to ensure that the gospel of Jesus Christ breaks through the multiple and complicated barriers and into their heads and hearts. That’s the part I signed up for.

No matter what other name they stick on it- it is still a celebration of Hallowe’en. Having dealt over the years with the one who inspires the celebration, I just want no part of it. I don’t want to put on a costume and pretend to be something I am not, I don’t want to give the enemy one whisk of a concession to his mission to deceive and kill the treasure of God.

For years they have said it’s just a party, a little fun, a Christian alternative.

Maybe it is. But I just can’t get there, it is still a friendly response to the prince of darkness- using his paradigms and suspending our devotion to the Blood of Jesus and forgiveness of sin. We’ll pick that back up next week...??

So- I am out this time, not going. Obviously other Christians do not share my concern, and apparently most hold no animosity for Hallowe’en traditions. An opinion I respect to a degree, but do not share.

Anybody else troubled by “Just a Christian alternative” dealing with this?

2019/10/19 23:06Profile
luka

Jos Nigeria

Re: My annual dilemma.

I don't have any biblical reference to address this issue of Halloween. As an African, this western practice is indeed very strange to us; especially church here. But one thing is sure, it looks very much like the demonic religious practices of our fathers. When the missionaries came, the Africans who embraced Christianity were expected to totally cut off from any association with these things.To this day, any association with the ceremonies and practices is a matter of church discipline.

I believe your opinion about this Halloween is right. I mean, the grotesque nature of the thing goes against the purity, the wholeness and general image of Christ whom we are called to emulate.

We Africans copy the west in a lot of good and bad things. But I tell you, the day I will see halloween in the church here is the day I will lift up my eyes and expect the immediate coming of the Lord.

Beyound the opinion of the brethren here, I ask you to seek the counsel of the Lord on how you ought handle the situation.
God bless you.

2019/10/20 6:51Profile
mama27

I, too, am greatly troubled by the “Christian alternative” to Halloween, Tom.
When our children were growing up, we did the same as you by darkening the house and going out to eat or having a pizza night. My great grief now is that some of our adult children have adopted the “Christian alternative”. I don’t condemn anyone who participates in this, but it grieves me deeply.

2019/10/20 8:41Profile
dougr777

Some use this time as a opportunity to evangelize and pass out tracts... seek the Lord what He wants you to do.

2019/10/20 11:26Profile
savannah

Re: syncretism

Try googling "religious syncretism" or "syncretism in the church."

You'll find much info about your dilemma. If not specifically, generally.

For starters read this brief definition;

Religious syncretism exhibits blending of two or more religious belief systems into a new system, or the incorporation into a religious tradition of beliefs from unrelated traditions.

Or, similarly;

Syncretism involves the merging or assimilation of several originally discrete traditions, especially in the theology and mythology of religion, thus asserting an underlying unity and allowing for an inclusive approach to other faiths.

Hope this helps.

2019/10/20 13:27Profile
havok20x

You know what I celebrate on October 31?

REFORMATION DAY!!!!!

October 31 is the very day that Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses on the church door of Wittenburg. Why not celebrate that? I would, even if halloween never existed.

2019/10/21 2:18Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I admire you for taking a stand against it, Tom. God bless you. Doing the right thing usually is not the most popular thing a body can do.

Sandra

2019/10/24 21:43Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

So Halloween is evil? Should we stay away for all things that are not "Christian like"? You will have to have an awful bright light to witness to folks that don't know Christ, if we all just stay far away. I can't tell you what Jesus would do, and neither can anyone here, but my guess is, "if he had a problem with it" he would be out witnessing and praying for these folks. When I find myself beginning to judge anyone about anything, I go look in the mirror, it's gives me a lot more prospective on my wanting to judge.

The word say's "There shall not be found among you anyone...who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For whoever does these things is detestable to the Lord (Deuteronomy 18:10-13)."

Do we really think most of the kids and adults out on Halloween, fit the above scripture? From what I've personally witnessed with most families, it's all over the next day, and folks are back on track with their everyday lives.

2019/10/25 9:43Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Participating in Hallowe’en

Thank you Bill!

Somehow the idea of using Hallowe’en for witnessing just doesn’t work. I have tried it, Christian friends have tried it- zero positive results. People coming to the door are not interested in anything but the candy. I am sure the case could be made that “Jesus is better than candy...?” But they aren’t there to hear an argument.

In our case, we have lots of neighbors as the houses are small, close together, many severely decorated for two months in advance- and hordes of strange people arrive in cars with suspect license plates to participate in the pillaging. Most with cheaply made costumes and a pillow case to thrust in your face. Oh such fun.

It is adults and children- and they all collect. And they are all in a hurry. Somebody might be too slow and miss the full size Snickers bars at #27.

If you lived where I live- you might find leaving a viable option too. But that is just the Hallowe’en night scenario, my biggest concern is the Hallowe’en alternative festivities that churches so readily embrace.

The Scripture from Deuteronomy 18 is an excellent reference. Most Christians have never read it, don’t know it is there, or consider it to be just part of the Old Testament rules that we are free in Christ to ignore.

And so they join the world with mocking the concepts and sipping the poison. As you say, everybody goes back to their regular routine the following day- true, they do.

Because they believe the things with which they dabbled in their Hallowe’en activities are all just make-believe.

In fact- they have way too often opened themselves to demonic entrance. They have no clue that it has even happened. They don’t connect any of this playful behavior to the creeping in of angers, depressions, night terrors, sudden contempt for people, or Godly music. They don’t connect it to intensified addictions, lethargy, loneliness, or quirky destructive behaviors.

They do not see it in any way connected to sin. They think they can just pick it up, play with it, and set it down.

Maybe they can. Not for me to judge. But I can assure you that in my life in work as a professional psychiatric nurse and in ministry, people do get hooked into Satan’s grip in a variety of ways.

Some can be freed- the testimonies of people who went into the occult and were delivered are heart-wrenching, difficult stories. The stories often include details of friends and other known people who did not come out alive. Killing humans is Satan’s sweetest pleasure.

I have met a few of those as well. I have been glared at, smirked at, and even struck by persons living in the captivity of Satan.

It is not a game or a party for me. And frankly, I just do not like to see churches participating anywhere near this stuff. I know that a lot of people disagree, so be it.

Sure wish more of them would take that passage in Deuteronomy more seriously!

2019/10/26 23:52Profile
Theophila

Peace be upon you, brother.

Knowing the origins of this event, I'm not remotely interested in it, or it's church alternative.

Since you are in a position of responsibility, may you receive light from above on how to go about this.

2019/10/28 15:42Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy