SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : is 'trying' faithlesness?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
arbustum

Sydney Australia

is 'trying' faithlesness?

i get that 'trying isnt good enough' line all the time, is it a sign of a lack of faith to say i'll try instead of do? i guess i just missed the point people are trying to make.

2005/7/12 23:25Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: is 'trying' faithlesness?

It depends on how you are defining "trying". There is a sense in which trying isn't good enough. Instead you should be "dying". But trying and failing hopefully will lead you to that place of death when you give up and let the Lord have a try.

I want to encourage you though brother because struggling is not failing. Only giving up is failing while struggling will eventually bring you to the end of yourself and into the freedom of Christ when you finally rest in His completed work.

2005/7/13 1:18Profile
arbustum

Sydney Australia

Re:

well, i guess i get what you're getting at, kinda like, i'll exhaust myself trying before the task gets done, then seeing the folly turning to Christ, my trial will surely be overcome?

ahh, i understand the whole, putting in your hundred percent and then God will honour that and put in the other 99% thats needed for you to overcome (lol how big is he!)

i'm talking about actually speaking the words, the angle i'm taking here (to clarify) is:

when im challenged, i'll often reply with "sure, ok, i'll try" to which i get the response: "trying isnt good enough" it doesnt mean i'm going to rely on God any less, perhaps the subtleties (or the implication) of the word 'try' seems to mean a lesser mindset, but its voicing a change in attitude, so why am i getting rebuked?

oh, and it's sister, im a chick, my name's latin for vineyard with many trees incase you're wondering. inspired by "catch for us the little foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards" i can just hear you saying under your breath 'ohh k!?' *laughs*

2005/7/13 2:54Profile

Stop Trying To Be Good.

Go here for an article called Stop Trying To Be Good By Malcolm Smith.

http://www.victoryoversin.com/stoptrying.htm

2005/7/13 5:45

Re: is 'trying' faithlesness?

Quote:
when im challenged, i'll often reply with "sure, ok, i'll try" to which i get the response: "trying isnt good enough" [b]it doesnt mean i'm going to rely on God any less[/b], perhaps the subtleties (or the implication) of the word 'try' seems to mean a lesser mindset, but its voicing a change in attitude, so why am i getting rebuked?

There is a suggestion in the word 'try' (as in trial) that it may be possible not to succeed.

When you mention a change in attitude, it sounds from your perspective you are putting in [i]more[/i] effort, not less - which is commendable, although the person you have to satisfy may feel that 'succeed' is very much within reach, (which is why they suggest 'trying' is not enough).

The question of 'faith' comes in, surely, only when the [i]entire[/i] success of a cause for 'trying' [i]depends[/i] on [i]God's[/i] contribution on your behalf. Then, only between you and Him at a very deep level of spiritual consciousness, will [i]you[/i] be able to find the dividing line between 'try' and [i]trust[/i].

If failure is inevitably due to lack of 'trust', then perhaps it becomes a matter of 'trying' to trust [i]more[/i] and to 'try' [i]less[/i]?

However, this profound exchange between one mindset and another (within you) cannot be observed and judged by another human being. They can only judge the end result and whether it came close enough to satisfying the original request, for you to be deemed to have 'tried' hard enough on the terms of their original notional standard.

Not in any way to undermine what has been said about the struggle to give up and let God, I'd say the whole area of 'trying' is an important aspect of character development. There are many things, which cannot be accomplished without 'trying'. Whether it's the revision of designs, plans or practices, if they have fallen short under 'trial', then their adjustment is essential.

The whole area of being able and willing to [i]recognise[/i] the need for change, is essential to progress in the Christian walk. It goes strongly against pride - so quick to convince us we are ok as we are - and sets a pattern towards accepting guidance and constructive criticism from both God and man.

In short, the willingness to change (or be changed) if necessary is an [u]essential[/u] component of [i]faith[/i] and demonstrates a [i]living[/i] relationship with God, which pleases Him above all other ends.

You said 'I get that 'trying isnt good enough' line all the time, is it a sign of a lack of faith'? If it is (a lack of faith) then let it be a spur to a deeper relationship with God, (always remembering He judges 'success' by a completely different standard from mankind).

2005/7/13 8:49
arbustum

Sydney Australia

Re:

thanks dorcas and thanks freecd, i take it then that the phrase itself isnt detrimental but its the heart thats behind it that counts, guess that makes what they say a challenge as opposed to a doubt of my abilities. thanks i get it now!

2005/7/13 20:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy