Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Looking For A Good Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Platy

NYC

Re:

I also visited one of the Tim Keller/Redeemer churches. I didn't get a good vibe from being there. It was only one visit though.

2019/10/6 12:18Profile
Platy

NYC

Re:

I haven't heard of the Harvest Christian Fellowship. I'll check it out.

2019/10/6 12:23Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

What I like most about Calvary Chapel is that the pastors stick close to the Scriptures when preaching. I have friends who also attend Calvary Chapel in Passaic, NJ which is closer to NYC than the one in Dover, NJ.

Harvest Christian Fellowship used to be on W. 56th St., but it moved to 39th St. or thereabouts. You can check the website.

I wish Glad Tidings were still around. It was a powerful church founded by an Irish man of God on 33rd St. near Madison Square Garden, but many years later the final pastor was a greedy dog who funneled a million dollars out of the church and into his own real estate ventures. He was caught by the state of NY, barred from ministering in that state ever again, and the building torn down. A parking garage now stands in its place. All this happened somewhat recently.

A wonderful article on Glad Tidings' founding pastor:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/251185615025/permalink/10161591856290026/

and a sad article on its final pastor:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/nyc-minister-to-repay-1-2m-he-took-from-church-to-buy-luxury-home/#ampshare=https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nyc-minister-to-repay-1-2m-he-took-from-church-to-buy-luxury-home

2019/10/6 12:49Profile
Platy

NYC

Re:

Interesting article. How does this pastor get punished and the bigger prosperity gospel preachers get away doing the same things? I guess NY is more strict regarding clergy corruption?

2019/10/6 14:38Profile
Platy

NYC

Re:

I actually live in Queens but I see on google maps that there is a Harvest church not too far from me. I'll check it out next Sunday God willing. Thanks for the recommendations.

2019/10/6 14:40Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Looking For A Good Church

Here is one but it is in Brooklyn - dunno if that is too far for you but you may want to check it out. It is affiliated with the Biblical Mennonite Alliance.

Brooklyn Followers of Jesus Menn. Church
3065 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11208

Sandra

2019/10/16 18:00Profile
mama27

Re:

Alec,
I read your post about Times Square Church with dismay. I have been an online “attendee” for several years both for Sunday services as well as their Tuesday night prayer service. The reason - like many across the country, I cannot find a good church in the Chicago area. Several things have troubled me about TSC, mainly what you mentioned about Teresa Conlon living in PA while running the school, and also that women as pastors is not Biblical. I also have a problem with the music, though I realize that is a hot issue with many, and I am probably in the minority.

You stated that it is a commercial enterprise, masquerading as a church. You were on staff there for 20 years?? You would say that this is a false church then where the Spirit of God cannot dwell? If true, then this would also carry over to a number of regular guest preachers who would associate themselves with TSC.

I am not in any way trying to stir up strife and contention, or to badmouth anyone.

2019/10/17 10:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy