Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Looking For A Good Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Platy

NYC

Looking For A Good Church

Anyone know of a good church in NYC area? I'm having a hard time finding churches that aren't compromised/liberal.

2019/10/5 20:18Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: Looking For A Good Church

Times Square Church is a non-denominational church located at 237 West 51st Street in the Theater District of Manhattan, New York City. Many people representing over one hundred nationalities gather to worship together every week. Wikipedia
Pastor(s): Patrick Pierre; William Carrol; Teresa Conlon; Benjamin Crandall; David Ham
Senior pastor(s): Carter Conlon
Founder: David Wilkerson
Founded: October 1987
Denomination: Non-denominational

2019/10/5 21:21Profile
Platy

NYC

Re:

Thanks for the recommendation AbideinHim. I agree Time Square is a good church but it is not good for a home church as it is too big (they have stated this also). Know of anything smaller?

2019/10/6 4:53Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

The senior pastor is in NYC while, for the past 8 years, his wife lives over 160 miles away in PA where she runs a school. That's only one red flag.

Best wishes trying to see where the money goes. The books are not open to the congregation. A few top people have become millionaires while most of their employees try to survive on meager pay.

The church no longer supports any missionaries, and no new ones are sent out. In earlier days under the original pastor missions was the backbone of that church. The youth choir used to minister during the afternoon service, but it dwindled to nothing and died. Sunday night service used to be "camp meeting" where many wonderful, old-time Pentecostal preachers would speak from the Word and pray for the people, and souls were saved, healed, and baptized in the Holy Spirit. Now the evening service is more like a talent show or talk show, with panel discussions on depression and other self-help topics.

Many, many of my friends who worked there full-time were bullied, overworked, and ruthlessly fired and made to sign a gag order as a tradeoff for a few months of severance pay. Disgusted at all of it. I resigned. I was there from 1996-2016 and saw the downward spiral of the latter days firsthand.

It is a commercial enterprise masquerading as a church. You are better off in a small home group with genuine seekers of our Lord Jesus, spending time in the Word, prayer, and fellowship.

2019/10/6 8:29Profile
Platy

NYC

Re:

Thanks for the feedback CalvaryCom. Sounds like big/mega church problems and yet another reason to look for something smaller. I been there a few times as a visitor. I figure in these types of churches you actually have two segments the insiders (which is the actual church) and everyone else. The inside people are the real church. It wouldn't benefit me to go there and be on the outskirts. Not saying its a bad thing but its just how it is.

I visited many churches in the past few years in the NYC area. Women preachers, entertainment driven, or anti Trump/political agenda. Basically liberal churches. I'm shocked at what I've seen. I guess the only option is to find a good reformed church where they are faithful to the written word of God.

2019/10/6 9:25Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

While I've not attended Brooklyn Tabernacle, I do admire greatly their pastor Jim Cymbala. The church is also known for being strong in corporate prayer. I also get the impression that they believe in miracles and the gifts of the Spirit without being drawn into any weird manifestation kookiness. Check them out.

-Daniel

2019/10/6 11:26Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Alec, perhaps you could share with Platy what church you are now attending?

In Christ,

2019/10/6 11:28Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

Jim & his wife founded BT in 1973. It's in a rough neighborhood, but Brooklyn is becoming so gentrified & expensive that that may soon change. But it sounds like Platy doesn't want to get lost in a megachurch.

I don't even see the megachurch as a biblical model, nor are commercial enterprise churches (rivals for your tithes) a Biblical model either. There is only one body of Christ, be it the dead in Christ or those who are presently on this earth...but men build walls of division and want to claim ownership over the Lord's heritage.

Platy, you may be aware that two of the male elders at Hillsongs church in Union Square. Manhattan, were married at the church. That's one to cross off the list.

I have visited various Redeemer locations in NYC and found them to be quite worldly, even selling Tolkien books next to the Bible on the table of the Upper West Side location. The pastors love to be philosophical and reference contemporary movies and television from the pulpit. Scariest of all, many new concerts whom I have met at Redeemer were clearly not born again. It is as if they made mere mental assent to a creed, not a transforming salvation experience.

Every Nation is on 51st St., a bit west of TSC, but it is yet another cookie cutter start up, like Trinity Grace, Church of the City, and City Light, which tries to be hip and happening.

Have you tried Harvest Christian Fellowship? It is affiliated with Calvary Chapel (founded by the late Chuck Smith). I have visited Calvary Baptist on 57th St. It is a bit dry, but the hymns are reverently sung. Unfortunately their pastor retired, so an interim is in place while the hunt is on for a replacement.

2019/10/6 11:44Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

Ron, I presently live 35 miles west of Manhattan in New Jersey & was in service this morning at Calvary Chapel of Morris Hills, but that is likely too far for Platy ($30 round trip train ticket & a 20 minute walk from the station).

2019/10/6 11:53Profile
Platy

NYC

Re:

Thanks for the further feedback. I've talked to someone who was in Brooklyn Tabernacle and it is similar to Time Square Church. Calvary Chapel is an interesting option. I was considering them since their views are balanced when it comes to preaching/teaching the bible and signs and wonders/Holy Spirit. I had crossed them off my list though since I heard Chuck Smith's son is involved with Leadership Network, Rick Warren, and the emergent church movement. I wasn't sure if they were still good or not. How is your experience with Calvary Chapel so far?

2019/10/6 12:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy