Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bring Your Bible To School Day

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Bring Your Bible To School Day

Bring Your Bible to School Day – Wednesday, October 3rd

June 3, 1962 marked a dark day in American history when prayer was removed from our schools. It was determined by the Supreme Court in Engel v. Vitale that a simple 23-word prayer was a violation of the First Amendment to the Constitution. The prayer was, “Almighty God, we acknowledge our dependence upon Thee, and we beg Thy blessings upon us, our parents, our teachers and our country. Amen.” It was somehow deemed to be a state establishment of religion. Looking at it today, we wonder how on earth the Court came to that conclusion. However, they did. Our schools and our society have suffered since.

In 1963, a similar case followed. In Abington School District v. Schempp, the Court decided that Bible reading in schools was also unconstitutional. Bible reading was not mandatory at that time. This was a great travesty of justice and a denial of our children’s rights that has gone on way too long! In fact, this seemed so unjust to me that I encouraged my Bible-loving children to take their Bibles to school and read them anyway. Not once did a teacher tell them they couldn’t read them. Not once.

In just a couple of days, on Wednesday, October 3, 2019, all of our children will be encouraged to bring their Bibles to school and to read them there. Parents, grandparents, teachers and administrators will support this student-led movement, as they honor the Word of God.

“But he answered, ‘It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”’” (Matthew 4:4; ESV)

Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:

Identificationally repent for the actions of our Supreme Court removing prayer from our schools in 1962.
Identificationally repent for the Supreme Court removing Bible reading from schools in 1963, an even more unjust situation.
Decree that students will rise up in a holy rebellion and pray again in school. This time it will be Holy Spirit inspired prayers, not rote and form prayers. These prayers, declarations, and decrees will save the lost, heal the sick, cast out demons, and shift the culture.
Pray for boldness for the students to bring their Bibles to school and read them. In fact, pray they decree the Word of the Lord from those Bibles all over the campuses.
Tell all your friends about this special day, Bring Your Bible to School Day. Post it on social media. Pastors, let your congregations know. Spread the word far and wide.
A prayer you can pray:

Lord, we repent again for those nine Supreme Court Justices that decided that a simple prayer seeking Your loving protection over our classrooms was a threat. So many things have been determined since that time which are a true threat to the fabric of our society. It seems incredulous that a 23-word prayer was ever even an issue before the highest court in our land! Likewise, we repent of the blatant injustice of the removal of Bibles from schools. That is tantamount to book burnings in other times. It is a clear violation of our First Amendment rights. It should be possible not only for a child to bring their Bible to school and read it, but to use it as a resource when writing term papers and other reports. So, now, our children will fight for their rights, but by taking their Bibles to school, reading it, declaring it, decreeing it, and praying it. They are choosing to do this, and we, their parents and other supportive adults, are backing them all the way! We ask that this day begins a movement to reverse the Supreme Court ruling, as it was a clear violation of the First Amendment, and it has brought harm to our society. Grant the students boldness and grace in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Today’s decree:

Our children will honor the Lord and bring their Bibles to school without fear!

https://www.bringyourbible.org/

2019/10/1 8:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Bring Your Bible To School Day

I agree with sentiment of the post, obviously.

But I was wondering if we can truly repent on behalf of someone else.

Also, almost every student middle school age and above have cell phones- do Bibles on cell phones count?

2019/10/1 11:23Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

If we are interceding for our nation, we not only confess our sins, but the sins of our nation.

There are examples of this in the Old Testament. Daniel and Moses repented for the sins of the people. They stood in the gap. God would not have destroyed Sodom and Gomorah if He would have found 10 righteous.

Daniel’s Intercession for his people:

Daniel 9:1-19 - In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, of the lineage of the Medes, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans— 2 in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years specified by the word of the Lord through Jeremiah the prophet, that He would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.

3 Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes. 4 And I prayed to the Lord my God, and made confession, and said, “O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments, 5 we have sinned and committed iniquity, we have done wickedly and rebelled, even by departing from Your precepts and Your judgments. 6 Neither have we heeded Your servants the prophets, who spoke in Your name to our kings and our princes, to our fathers and all the people of the land. 7 O Lord, righteousness belongs to You, but to us shame of face, as it isthis day—to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem and all Israel, those near and those far off in all the countries to which You have driven them, because of the unfaithfulness which they have committed against You.

8 “O Lord, to us belongs shame of face, to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, because we have sinned against You. 9 To the Lord our God belongmercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him. 10 We have not obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in His laws, which He set before us by His servants the prophets. 11 Yes, all Israel has transgressed Your law, and has departed so as not to obey Your voice; therefore the curse and the oath written in the Law of Moses the servant of God have been poured out on us, because we have sinned against Him. 12 And He has confirmed His words, which He spoke against us and against our judges who judged us, by bringing upon us a great disaster; for under the whole heaven such has never been done as what has been done to Jerusalem.

13 “As it is written in the Law of Moses, all this disaster has come upon us; yet we have not made our prayer before the Lord our God, that we might turn from our iniquities and understand Your truth. 14 Therefore the Lord has kept the disaster in mind, and brought it upon us; for the Lord our God is righteous in all the works which He does, though we have not obeyed His voice. 15 And now, O Lord our God, who brought Your people out of the land of Egypt with a mighty hand, and made Yourself a name, as it is this day—we have sinned, we have done wickedly!

16 “O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I pray, let Your anger and Your fury be turned away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquities of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people are a reproach to all those around us. 17 Now therefore, our God, hear the prayer of Your servant, and his supplications, and for the Lord’s sake cause Your face to shine on Your sanctuary, which is desolate. 18 O my God, incline Your ear and hear; open Your eyes and see our desolations, and the city which is called by Your name; for we do not present our supplications before You because of our righteous deeds, but because of Your great mercies. 19 O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name.”

2019/10/1 15:17Profile
KervinM

South Africa

Re:

This is well said for confessing in my judgment. Admitting the evil doing of the nation before God on its behalf - primarily in hope to pacify his wrath over the same evil done. But I do not believe any can repent for the sin of another as true repentance (so I understand) must entail an earnest intent not to repeat the wrong done (though you may still through some foolishness repeat in the future).

2019/10/20 11:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy