SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What instant messengers do saints use if any?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougr777

Re:

2019/9/12 8:26Profile
KervinM

South Africa

Re:

I am hearing. For a moment there it seemed to me that using web versions of these platforms would be a sure solution to the concern. Because then one could take advantage of browsers like Chrome that lets you block images using a domain-based approach. I for example would set images to 'Block' for the sub-domain web.whatsapp.com and ever visit this url each time I have a mobile message notification (not going to be easy but should be worth it). I could also consider disabling mobile notifications and rely entirely on PC notifications as this is supported as well. 
But now I fear that I shall be partially to blame every time anyone will open their Whatsapp application to view my sent message and end up offended by one of their contacts' profile pictures. For shall I not be the one who at the particular instant sent them amongst their possibly injurious profile imagery? I have now therefore officially left Whatsapp.
All this said, I feel like we still need a dedicated Christian developed and maintained messenger that will either have no support for profile pictures or use simple no-details ID-like avatars. Of cause amongst other complementary features. In this way, I can ever link anyone (both believers and non-believers) I need to dialog with to download and install its client (mobile or PC). We indeed can fall back to text messaging but again I just felt like this route could help us take advantage of the data service based messaging that offers a handful of other advantages.

Nothing I have fully sifted out in mind but I believe there are exceptions for evangelists when it comes to using or visiting relatively unfriendly platforms/places on duty. Though they too are to ever take advantage of any available measures that could help them get offended less while going out amongst these to take a people for God through Christ. The peace of God.

2019/9/12 4:20Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I find using text messaging to be the cleanest way to communicate with saints without profile picture problems etc.

I do use facebook as so many people utilize the platform but I have many reservations about it.

2019/8/31 6:37Profile
KervinM

South Africa

Re:

I am following. While I expect we ourselves are likely to be decent on our profile picture choices, the greatest concern is on those (profile pictures) of the contacts we keep on our messaging platforms - since they are often not all saved folks.

Not only do I find Facebook guilty of abusive/offensive images (profile, shared, tagged, etc) but have concluded it so bad reputed overall that I have for a long time dreaded to be known as one who is on Facebook for Christ sake (especially since a web search is all it takes). The same essentially goes for all other social medias. With that said, would one consider browsing Facebook with images toggled off on the browser perhaps - if they feel they are brought to it by necessity. Would it still be of the same value - or will one end up less regular there? This I do not direct to you as such but say it in hope that any who is on Facebook because they are just allured there by the lewd images might just be able to find the same out.

Otherwise, it is true that we deal with lewd dressing out there but is there any reason why we should deal with the same offenses/lewd even in case where we can help it? But I of cause wish to know first if saints find the same images to be at all offensive. Because if not, then there is no case at all.

Not meaning to deviate my brother but I had to assume that by 'girlfriend' you mean your purposed bride to be (whom you essentially do not touch until wedded to). I just find the term coarse to be used amongst the redeemed but it could simply be regional language usage difference - plus I am not a native English speaker coming to think of it. Peace of God

2019/8/31 3:45Profile
wildhorse86

Re: What instant messengers do saints use if any?

I use Facebook for most people out of necessity. I rarely post anything and I'm wary of what I reply to. My picture is either a portrait of me or a steam loco as I love trains. I also use Skype to sometimes video chat with my girlfriend but that's it. I don't use Snapchat or Instagram or Pinterest or Twitter.

I tried Snapchat for a while but saw the garbage people would post and how much of a distraction it was and how poisonous it is. My girlfriend uses none of this.

Email gets used heavily though. I own a TV but rarely watch it as nothing good is on TV. I would have to go look for the remote.

2019/8/30 23:12Profile
KervinM

South Africa

What instant messengers do saints use if any?

A little background: I have long denounced Facebook, I own no TV (though I believe I can afford one), and do not use twitter or any other social medias (with little exception for YouTube). Yes I hardly use YouTube except seldom cases for content like tutorials. But I had found and use elements removers for sections such as Comments, the Up-next and those that would show up in the end of a video. I'm already blocking ads virtually everywhere including YouTube. I have just started browsing the internet with images blocked by default and then try to permanently or temporally white-list sites as I judge fit (yes it is not easy). I can gladly share what issues I have with social medias, ads, TV as well YouTube's blocked section to anyone interested.

Getting back to my concern: I have used the Whatsapp instant messenger until I ran into a "profile pictures" devastation amongst a few others. I in fact recall checking if disabling contacts profile pictures was at all possible in the past but found it was not (and still not to date).

Thus would like to know who else have wished their messenger had the ability to toggle off contacts profile pictures? While I would love to keep contacts who could be very decent in their profile picture choices, one is often compelled to foster contacts that do not (such as family, business clients and those you are you mean to administer the Gospel to). Making the blocking option to be not always plausible. So I wondered if there existed one that is thus flexible. I even wished to undertake a project on one but rather not if one exist as I also assert that the time is short - and remains that only what needs to be done must be done. Nor am I a skilled programmer. While SMSs works just fine, they cannot use data service and thereby often not a very cost effective option for many.

I understand that my concern will likely make next to no sense to those who still have no issue with Facebook, public secular TV or social medias in general.

2019/8/30 8:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy