SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many people have read the bible from cover to cover ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

How many people have read the bible from cover to cover ?

I have read the bible from genesis to revelation in multiple translations,
I am just interested in how many people have hear and if you have not.
What book have you got up to ?
I am also interested if people have read it in Greek and Hebrew ?

2019/8/20 16:10Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: How many people have read the bible from cover to cover ?

If I say I have not read it from cover to cover, shame on me.
If I say I have read it X times from cover to cover in several versions and languages, shame on me for boasting, so I will not tell you, because it would make me look down on some and others will look down on me.

I think bible reading should be in keeping with your spiritual hunger as per Exodus 16:18
And when they did mete it with an omer, he that gathered much had nothing over, and he that gathered little had no lack; they gathered every man according to his eating.

About 12 or 14 years ago I listen to Keith Daniel about bible reading. I felt very convicted and made bible reading my daily routine.

I dare say, that systematic bible every day is part of my life since then and I cannot recall a day where I went without.

Actually, even more important than this is meeting with God every day, and I am still working on that.

2019/8/20 16:35Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I have intentionally read through it several times, once chronologically instead of just straight through. That was interesting. I also like the plan where you read a psalm every day and a verse or two from proverbs everyday, then about 3 chapters from other OT books and one NT chapter.

I have not done it intentionally in a couple of years because it was starting to feel like more of a chore than a delight. I still follow a plan but don’t mind if I miss a day or two.

I think it important to read through the Bible at least once intentionally because you get a great overview of scripture. There are very few episodes and stories that I am not familiar with. I struggle in some of the prophetic books.

My weakness is that I do not intentionally memorize scripture. I used to memorize chunks like Is.53 and James 1 and Philippians 2, but I need to do more of that.

2019/8/20 17:39Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

It is not about boasting but I do not find a Christian can say he is fully mature if he has not read the bible from cover to cover it can be embarrassing if some Muslims or atheists have read the bible but when Christians have not the bible cover to cover
I am glad for your honesty Frank (narrow path)

As a Christian every Christian should atleast read the bible through once

It is so important when turning to a passage in scripture in a sermon , you know the context and you know what happens around the passage.

It is so important as preachers cannot take verses out of context or groups like Jehovah's witnesses
When you know the scriptures inside and out.

It is embarrassing if you have preachers in the pulpit who have not read the bible the whole way through

When reading through the bible probably it's most prominent trend I would say would be idolatry.

I find maybe something like some of the harder books such as Leviticus and numbers most interesting or maybe books like Jeremiah and ezekial

I challenge everyone to read through the hard books in the bible. I think it was reading through ezekial and Jeremiah that made me want to be baptised.

Another interesting thing is that if you read the bible the whole way through you can work out what people say that is not in the Bible

There are so many misquotes that are banded around the church that have no basis in scripture but everyone thinks that it is in scripture.

If you have read the bible the whole way through you can pick up those types of things from a mile away.

It is also helpful to know the bible so well that you know the historical and archaeological context.

It is hard when you have spoken to some new Christians who have read the bible through 3 times and you speak to a Christian of 20 or 50 years and they have not read the bible even the whole way through even once

In either case if you haven't I would urge you to read it the whole way through

2019/8/20 17:55Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I memorised whole passages of scripture when i was in school and actually won an award for it

My most interesting thing is when you read commentaries sometimes and they divide the bible into sections as an outline and you find that the actual passage has nothing to do with the outline

I have a problem with some of the so called bible plans because something like the book of Ephesians is a letter or hebrews and you do not get the feel of a letter

As there was no chapters in the actual text , I do like chapters , I find it quite strange jumping from say an old testament passage then new

Reading the proverbs in the light of the book of chronicles or the Psalms in the light of 1 Samuel till the book of 2 kings as understanding David's life is vital to the Psalms

The pain that he suffered through

Also if you have ever read a study bible you sometimes find the actual scriptures disagree with the notes

The reason I don't like bible study plans is that is does not deal with the rawness of the text and you do not have to struggle with things you do not like

2019/8/20 18:05Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
It is not about boasting but I do not find a Christian can say he is fully mature if he has not read the bible from cover to cover it can be embarrassing if some Muslims or atheists have read the bible but when Christians have not the bible cover to cover
I am glad for your honesty Frank (narrow path)

Dom: I am not sure I can agree with you here. Maturity is not dependent on your knowledge of the written word. Maturity is dependent on the degree to which the living word of God, Jesus, has been allowed to transform you into His image. It is not that the written word is not important in this process. But there are men and women in the underground church all over the world that have had very limited exposure to the written word but have been radically transformed by the power of God and are spiritually mature to a degree that often makes me ashamed of my own immaturity.

I have access to the word of God in its entirety as well as a host of study and resource materials. To waste that blessing that has been afforded me would be a shame in my opinion. But I don't have to have read it cover to cover in order to grow into maturity. Please understand that I am NOT saying it is not important. We SHOULD be constantly in the word of God, praying for the Holy Spirit to quicken our understanding and use what we are studying to transform our lives into His image. But I believe we must not confuse great intellectual understanding of the written word with the transforming power of the Holy Spirit in our lives that changes us into His image so that we are brought to the full stature and measure of the fulness of Christ.

Just a perspective.
Blessings.

2019/8/22 8:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

This is a good point brother, I believe all believers who have access to the entire bible should make it an effort to try their best to read the entire bible at least once.

The best bible reading is to meet the living God and experience Him personally. To know God.

2019/8/22 11:12Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

It didn't come across as boasting to me but sounded sincere. And an interesting topic. And learning memory Scriptures is great as well.

2019/8/22 12:22Profile
readyornot

For many years I have doing my card system. 6 x 9 index cards

Psalms. 1. 2. 3
Proverbs 1. 2 3 etc
Old 1. 2. 3
New Testament 1. 2 3

write down “Only “what comes “Alive” to you. ( so important)
When card is full, file card into a file box.
transfer last number onto your new index card.
always keep the fresh one in Your Bible.
And watch how the Holy Spirt leads you.
Or calls you to share what’s already on your card
Or confirms what he has spoken to you.
It’s the most exciting way for God to talk to you and hear his voice.
It’s is not a one year reading through the bible and falling behind.
It’s a Spirit lead and listening to God and hearing his voice.
I’ve been doing this close to 25 years and I get so excited to read the word
I bubble up inside just the thought of it. When the pastor confirms the verse I circle ⭕️ it knowing that it is God speaking to me. So so exciting. Be on 🔥 fire and Holy Spirit lead

2019/8/22 20:23Profile
HeartSong

Re:

A Revival Of God's Word by Jose Muniz

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/myvideo/photo.php?lid=2205

2019/8/23 3:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy