Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Pursuit of God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

The Pursuit of God

In this hour of all-but-universal darkness, one cheering gleam appears: within the fold of conservative Christianity (or "Spirit -filled" charismatic Christianity - addition in parenthesis mine own - docs) there are to be found increasing numbers of persons whose religious lives are marked by a growing hunger after God Himself. They are eager for spiritual realities and will not be put off with words, nor will they be content with correct "interpretations" of truth. They are athirst for God, and they will not be satisfied till they have drunk deep at the Fountain of Living Water.

This is the only real harbinger of revival which I have been able to detect anywhere on the religious horizon. It may be a cloud the size of a man's hand for which a few saints here and there have been looking. It can be a resurrection of life for many souls and a recapture of that radiant wonder which should accompany faith in Christ, that wonder which has all but fled the Church of God in our day.

But this hunger must be recognized by our religious leaders. Current evangelicalism has (to change the figure) laid the altar and divided the sacrifice into parts, but now seems satisfied to count the stones and rearrange the pieces with never a care that there is not a sign of fire upon the top of lofty Carmel. But God be thanked there are a few who care. They are those who, while they love the altar and delight in the sacrifice, are yet unable to reconciled themselves to the continued absence of fire. THEY DESIRE GOD ABOVE ALL (emphasis mine). They are athirst to taste for themselves the "piercing sweetness" of the love of Christ Whom all the holy prophets did write and the psalmists did sing.

There is today no lack of Bible teachers to set forth correctly the principles of the doctrines of Christ, but too many of these seem satisfied to teach the fundamentals of the faith year after year, strangely unaware that there is in their ministry no manifest Presence, nor anything unusual in their personal lives. They minister constantly to believers who feel within their breasts a longing which their teaching simply does not satisfy.

(Preface to "The Pursuit of God' - A. W. Tozer - 1948)

I like these words taken from the writing in the beginning of the Preface. I hesitated to share the last paragraph because who am I to call into question men's ministries here described as doctrinally correct but I suppose lacking the reality of the divine Presence that feeds souls instead of leaving them just informed but not spiritually fed. But it is what it is. You can be the judge. I believe all ministry needs to be bathed in prayer as never before. Even what may be seen as simple sermons or teachings. Nonetheless, be encouraged, if you think of the Lord always are hungry for Him always we must find time to set aside to seek Him and Him alone. When we find Him anew so many other things fall into place and take care of themselves. Pursue God and see how faithful He will be to meet you! He wants it more than we do.

Blessings.

2019/8/11 6:27Profile
word_of_god_

Re: The Pursuit of God

“When we find Him anew so many other things fall into place and take care of themselves.”
👍

2019/8/12 20:07Profile
docs

Re: When religion has said its last word

"When religion has said its last word, there is little that we need other than God Himself. The evil habit of seeking "God-and" effectively prevents us from finding God in full revelation. If we omit the "and" we shall soon find God, and in Him we shall find that which we have all our lives been secretly longing."

"We need not fear in seeking God only we may narrow our lives or restrict the motions of our expanding hearts. The opposite is true. We can well afford to make God our All, to concentrate, to sacrifice the many for the One."

"O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I am painfully conscious of my need of further grace. I am ashamed of the lack of desire. O God, the Triune God, I want to be made more thirsty still. Show me Thy glory, I pray Thee, so that I may know Thee indeed. Begin in mercy a new work of love within me. Say to mu soul, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away." Then give me grace to rise and follow Thee up from the misty lowland where I have wandered so long. In Jesus's Name, Amen."

(A. W. Tozer - "The Pursuit of God" - copyright 1948 - ch one - "Following Hard After God" - p 18&20)

2019/8/15 18:34Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy