Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Biblical Tithing

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Audienceof1

Biblical Tithing

I have a question regarding tithing. My Church, still teaches on a 10% in regards to tithing. I believe, the NT does teach giving generously.

Is the church's stance on this, unbiblical?

2019/8/9 18:57Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Biblical Tithing

Dear brother,

I believe if it is a pressured thing then that is wrong but if its something you feel from your heart to do then this is liberty and God's way through your heart. The main thing is to have confidence in your local church that the money is being used for the spread of the gospel.

If you are in an unfortunate place of not being in a strong local biblical church or house church then consider to give money as God leads you to ministries that are doing God's work filling the lack in local church outreach etc.

Acts 20:32-35

32 “Now I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33 I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing. 34 You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. 35 In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”

May God free us from the love of money and surely it is still more blessed to give then receive.

2019/8/9 19:25Profile
docs

Re: Grace vs law

I'm thinking tithing should be taught and done as a grace God gives instead of one feeling under compulsion and under a law of sorts. God loves a cheerful giver is not the disposition of one tithing because they are under a law.

2019/8/10 3:32Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Biblical Tithing

I see nowhere in the new covenant that tithing (giving 10%) is taught as a requirement. But giving out of the generosity of your heart as God leads you to give is definitely taught. Perhaps a couple of examples might best illustrate how I see this.

Well God, you require 10% of my increase, so here is what I owe to You. I guess now my finances will be blessed and You will be pleased with me.

Well God, I am absolutely overjoyed that your mercy and grace are extended to me. I so want to give you everything that I am and that I have because of what You have given me. So I want to give of my resources to further Your kingdom. Where can I give Lord? How much would you have me to give? I am so blessed and overjoyed to be able to give to Your kingdom.

The first is a legalistic perspective. The second is a heart changed by God and out of an overflow of love desiring to give to the kingdom.

2019/8/10 20:38Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I agree. The counterargument is that tithing existed long before the Law of Moses -- going back (at least) to Abraham and Melchizedek.

Of course, the Sabbath was followed prior to the written or spoken Law too; yet, most of us do not feel that we are bound to a single designated day of rest (or the requirements associated with it).

I believe that the New Testament is clear that we are not to give out of necessity or compulsion (II Corinthians 9:7). Rather, we give as we "purposed in our heart" (same verse).

I think that a tenth is a good example. Still, the Biblical tithe was so very different from the economic systems set today anyway.

Do we offer the fruit from our trees or the flowers from our bushes? Do we offer the first of our animals? No. Most simply offer a portion of the modern money that they've taken from their paycheck. They view the tithe as, essentially, a tax from God.

2019/8/12 21:32Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

If my attitude is that everything I have received is God's and that I am only made a steward of what is supplied to me, and if my heart is to see His Kingdom advanced, then I will be filled with joy to use as much of His provision as He desires me to use in whatever aspect of the Kingdom that He calls me to use it. This would apply to money, possessions, etc.

2019/8/13 14:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy