Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Prison ministry

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BrotherTony

Prison ministry

Any advise for a freshman christian doing prison ministry?

2019/7/23 16:55Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Prison ministry

Spend about 5 times as much time praying as you do actual ministering.

2019/7/23 18:42Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!

May God bless you in what you are seeking to do. Point men to Christ, the living Christ, He is the only help. It is easier to preach on sin, but preaching on Christ to make people want to fling their lives towards Him is much harder.

2019/7/23 21:15Profile
savannah

Get and study this book;

http://www.brookhills.org/resources/downloads/book-prison-ministry-understanding-prison-culture-inside-and-out-by-lennie-spitale/

It is the best, bar none!

2019/7/23 21:33Profile
leyoung

Re:

Be wise as a serpent and innocent as a dove.
Use discernment, trust no man but be sensitive to the Holy Spirit.

And PRAY as someone just said. A lot!!! Realize that family members of prisoners need salvation, prayer, encouragement and you may reach them more than actual prisoners.

And watch God do miracles in hearts but realize some people will take advantage of you and lie to you. Listen to the advice of longtime prison ministers.

A sis in Christ whose eyes were opened by going to the prisoners.
L

2019/7/24 0:02Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Brother Tony,
You do well to seek counsel and that shows you have a humble, teachable spirit,... The Lord can work with that:)
And it looks like you’ve received allot of really good and godly advice already 🙏🏻
Being a person who came to faith in Christ while in a foreign prison, the prison chaplain who ministered the gospel to me will always hold a special place in my heart. He revealed to me the goodness and favor of God:)
His name was Peter Vanderbol, and he was a large Dutchman who was a very humble and very effective servant of God, bringing many to faith in Christ and saw a massive transformation in the culture of the prison he was serving in, bringing glory to God - so don’t underestimate what God wants to, and will do with and thru those whom obey Him.

Be certain about what you believe and be honest about what you’re still figuring out.
Know that your faith will be tested.
Know that God will use you in every way you let Him, but remember it’s not about you.
Having said that, prisoners love stories- so sharing personal testimonies whereby Gods mercy can be magnified and believed will carry the gospel into the hearts of those whom are ready.
Also easy to read, remember, reference materials that help to practically apply Gods word will also be of help.
In many cases this is like a children’s class (spiritually speaking) and it may help you to view it as a group of untrained children,... much like a 5th grade class complete with bullies and nerds-
Also it may help you to note that the main thing a prisoner is concerned with is getting out of prison.... most don’t think too far beyond that so understanding where their focus is may help you to meet them where they’re at.

Will def lift you in prayer dear brother and hope to hear updates in the future:)

Oh and most certainly:
11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;
19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,
20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

2019/7/24 7:51Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Brother Tony

Brother Tony, the best advice I can give you would be, pray and let the spirit guide you.

God Bless
Brother Bill

2019/7/24 8:18Profile
Man0fG0d

Re:

Prison ministry is a wonderful ministry. Just a few things I've learned over the years I've ministered in prison.

1. Pray. This is already been said but can't be stressed enough. Prayer pierce through men's hearts when your words don't. Prayer is where we get our vison and our strength.

2. As Paul said to Timothy preach the Word. Leave history and theology out of it. Paul said he knew nothing but Christ and Him crucified. Let that be you also. You just point them to Jesus.

3. Study to show thyself approved. The Bible says be ready to give every man an answer. Realize you are probably not the only person ministering to these people. I go to the jail to preach often times during the week there are false teachers such as JWs, 7DA, Hypergrace, OSAS. So be ready to contend for the Faith. Remember just do as Jesus did and give them scipture.

4. Expect ridicule, resistance, and mocking. I've preached plenty of times and had people interrupt or mock the message. If they ask a question give them Bible. If they laugh and cut up keep on preaching. Not everybody wants to go to help. I've see those who mock and act tough go from smiling and giggling to weeping.

5. Take someone with you. Jesus sent His disciples out two by two. An elder or brother that is grounded in the Word may have the understanding of the Word to answer a question you don't know or have the testimony that you don't.

6. Be real. Shake their hands. Look them in the eye. Learn their names. Build a relationship with them if possible. Weep for them. Understand they all Will spend an eternity somewhere. Be respectful. Listen when they speak.

7. Expect God to do great things.I have learned that disappointment of seeing men when they get out run right back to the same crowed. I've seen men who won't look me in the eye and try to avoid me in public because they know better and don't do better. But I have also seen men who got born again and stuck with it when they got out. They got their marriages back. Got their kids back. And are faithful to church. See them in public and they say thank you so much, just keep on preaching.

Hope this helps in some way. Expecting to hear some good reports. God bless.

2019/7/26 13:07Profile
KervinM

South Africa

Re:

Never trying to be negative but to try and highlight a fact that can very well be overlooked like any other. A bother Wesley (John Wesley) once said:

"Unless God has raised you up for this very thing, you will be worn out by the opposition of men and devils. But if God be for you, who can be against you? Are all of them together stronger than God? O be not weary of well doing!"

Be therefore satisfied that you are indeed where God would have you. Or it cannot be well with you and the undertaken ministry. Let God know you do not wish to proceed an inch further with the work unless it indeed be what he would have you be expended on. Then can no discouragement prevail until you accomplish His good pleasures at the prison(s). The peace of God!

2019/9/8 13:04Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy