SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Prayer Power in the Church - Dave Butts

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Prayer Power in the Church - Dave Butts

Prayer Power in the Church
by Dave Butts

I love this statement from S.D. Gordon on the power of prayer: “The great people of the earth today are the people who pray! I do not mean those who talk about prayer; nor those who say they believe in prayer; nor those who explain prayer; but I mean those who actually take the time to pray. They have not time. It must be taken from something else. That something else is important, very important and pressing, but still, less important and pressing than prayer. There are people who put prayer first, and group the other items in life’s schedule around and after prayer. These are the people today who are doing the most for God in winning souls, in solving problems, in awakening churches, in supplying both men and money for mission posts, in keeping fresh and strong their lives far off in sacrificial service on the foreign field, where the thickest fighting is going on, and in keeping the old earth sweet a little while longer.”
I do not doubt that there is still spiritual power in the Church today. Lives are being transformed by the preaching of the Gospel. The Church is still being used by God today to make a difference. But, there is so much more that could be happening! When we look at the first believers in Jerusalem, the difference in levels of power is obvious. It comes down to a biblical principle written by the James, the brother of Jesus: “You do not have because you do not ask God” (James 4:2)
As we move toward the end of the age, the Church must face the fact that it is only through the power of God that we will be able to stand against the onslaught of ungodliness that will come against us. As important as our words are, by themselves they are and will be insufficient. The Apostle Paul was very concerned that those who heard him would not just hear words, but see the power of God at work. “My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power.” (I Cor.2:4) When the Church begins to pray, we will once again see that demonstration of the Spirit’s power. “God shapes the world by prayer. The more prayer there is in the world the better the world will be, the mightier the forces against evil …” E.M. Bounds

Adapted from Forgotten Power by David Butts, PrayerShop Publishing 2016.

Dave Butts is the president of Gospel Revivals, Inc. (Herald of His Coming). I will be doing a radio interview with Brother Dave on July 17th on Prayer and Revival.

2019/7/15 11:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Prayer Power in the Church - Dave Butts

Nothing would turn the nation back to God so surely and so quickly as a Church that prayed and prevailed. The world will never believe in a religion in which there is no supernatural power. A rationalized faith, a socialized Church, and a moralized gospel may gain applause, but they awaken no conviction and win no converts.~~ Samuel Chadwick

2019/7/15 12:31Profile
docs

Re:

This is surely not to brag in any way but not so long ago I spent about 4 days in my actual prayer closet. God in the end abundantly came through and met me in my prayers. But it wasn't easy. My flesh wanted to come out of the prayer closet and do something else with my time. When I did come out to eat or whatever I would end up just fiddling away time and before I knew it I had wasted an hour or so. So I used my fleshly strength and determination and forced myself go back in and pray some more and I did. But the flesh in me groaned and wailed and tried to tell me enough is enough. All kind of reasons floated through my mind saying you need to come out and go and do this and do that. There was a football game that I never miss and I gave it up to spend that three hours or so praying. It was worth it. Like I said, God met me big time and answered my prayers with victory. Yet what is the best way to overcome the flesh? One thing, the longer I stayed shut away and prayed the easier it became to pray. I have always envied men of God who prayed for long periods, even long periods every day but I think now it is something they had to learn. I had a real need though and prayer was the only place I knew to go. Perhaps real needs or coming societal pressure to conform will drive the church to its prayer closet. I guess we should start now and begin to "learn" the task of prevailing prayer. At first it is likely to not be easy. There is no better place for the church to dedicate itself to than being shut away and praying but at the same time it seems in many ways the furthest thing away from what the church is doing. I guess. I don't want to make a dogmatic statement about that. But I've had a hard time getting back and staying before God even though inwardly I want to. Is it because my need is not as great as then? What are we to do?

2019/7/15 14:07Profile
rufnrust

Indiana

Re:

'learn the task of prevailing prayer'

Great word David! I don't think it comes natural (lol) to deny the flesh and pour out our hearts til we 'pray through' as the old timers said.

Thanks for the reminder.

Rusty

2019/7/16 12:57Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Amen and Amen excellent post brother..
There is not change where there is no prayer. Paul teaches us that we are not fighting flesh and blood but principalitites Eph 6.
Jesus last days before He went to calvary was in the garden of Gethsemane.. he coulnt get the apostles to watch with him.. How we need a revival of prayer.. How we need to pray for more intercessors to be full of the HOLY GHOST and not themselves.. I think of JESUS's prayer for us.. May it come to pass in us all.
John 17:: KJV
These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.

8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.

16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.

26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

May we pray until.. May we be full of His LOVE and May we move mountains in Faith and pray without ceasing.. in JESUS name..
Sister Frannie

2019/7/28 16:07Profile
Renske

I can't find a church here where there's even one hour a week prayer. Used to be married to a pastor and we had every morning prayer, but noone was interested, so eventually it all just stopped. We saw those great movies from Transformations. That guy in Africa, who started to pray with his wife and then they had a whole church praying and the city got saved. He said this works everywhere. Nope. Not here. Noone wanted to pray. Now I only pray alone or with the kids for family and friends and such. Praying for the city alone? Bye. Almost died. No thanks.

2019/10/11 12:04Profile
CalvaryCom

Greater NYC area

Re:

Sorry to hear that, Renske.

Lot found himself in the same situation, and the Lord sent two angels to lead him and his family out of Sodom by hand because the city was so wicked, and it, along with Gomorrah was subsequently destroyed. Is yours at that point? Only He knows. Hold fast to your crown, and pray always.

2019/10/11 17:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy