SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modern day cults other than the Jehovah's witnesses, Mormans

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Modern day cults other than the Jehovah's witnesses, Mormans

Walter Martin defined what a cult was in his book kingdom of the cults as he had literally studied all of there literature
A cult is something that denied a fundamental doctrine such as the trinity
The deity of Jesus Christ and also things such as works salvation rather than by grace alone and faith alone and Christ alone
It is crazy as because I think we have on premier Christian radio a cult group starters by witness Lee which Walter Martin spoke out against

What I find crazy is that there are movements such as bethel that in there literature promote a different gospel and a different jesus and people like Todd white

In maybe 50 years time people will look back at our generation and say why didn't you do anything to stop these movements

I am amazed at people are so readily to have a debate with a prominent Jehovah's witnesses such as dr James White but not someone from say Hillsong who promote things like the word of faith movement

The crazy things is I was watching derren brown who is an atheist and a non Christian and they can see clearly but sometimes people who are in the church cannot see something clearly is a cult

When you have the Stephen furticks, bethels, hillsongs of this world which may be perceived in the future as bad as the Jehovahs witnesses, mormans

What I can't understand is where is the Christian leaders willing to debate them and confront them

Some of these pastors you have more chance of speaking to the CEO of apple or the American president than confronting or even talking to one of these leaders as they are surrounded by security guards

What I find crazy it is that people like Joyce Meyer , Kenneth Copeland, Benny hinn who were openly investigated by senator grassley for tax invasion and they own like personal private jets that they use for the ministry

Most of these preachers would not know what sound doctrine was even if hit them with a bus

2019/7/13 6:01Profile
docs

Re: Modern day cults other than the Jehovah's witnesses, Mormans

Walter Martin gave more than just a couple of points to define a cult.

1) A cult differs doctrinally in one or more significant ways than orthodox Christianity.

2) A cult promotes a work based salvation.

3) A cult usually has a central figure as its leader around which all activity occurs and without which the cult would not survive and thrive if this person was absent.

4) A cult usually has extra biblical writings and literature (many times written by their leader) that must be read along with the Bible if one is to properly understand the Bible.

5) A cult believes and teaches that if you are not part of their group or organization that you cannot be saved.

I might add that cults practice a strong degree of time and thought control. They dominate your time and require most of your time be given in service to them. Plus they forbid members to read outside literature, especially religious literature, that does not express their particular view. Independent research is forbidden.

And there is shunning. If you are asked to leave their organization or choose freely to leave you are shunned by members and many times even your immediate family are forbidden to acknowledge or have any contact with you for anything.

I guess it's a question in my mind if the ministries and persons mentioned in the OP have all gone this far.

2019/7/13 13:25Profile
Elibeth

Re: Modern day cults other than the Jehovah's witnesses, Mormans

Dominic,
May I speak bluntly, but honestly ?

Why would we want to muddy our thinking up w all these writings of men , when we have God’ Word, and Him,.. His Spirit,.. to teach us,.. guide us into all truth,... lead us by His Spirit ?

These teachers as the one you have just mentioned, despises anything that has to do with “DO” or “WORK”
And can we actually trust him to dictate to us, or to insinuate his meaning / definition of these words.

Is it critical that we prayerful
search out in the Word of God, and to see how they were used there, and prayerfully make a decision based on The Word ?....

when he says,..
In Grace alone,... ALONE ?,... In Faith alone, ...and in Christ,.... in Christ ?

Grace: not the traditional use of this critically important word,.. is it critical for us to understand this Word?

Faith: is it also critical for us not to be led along by a lie, of this Word ?

Christ:
The Word says He is our Master,... and what does the Word ‘Master’ represent / constitute ?,.. what about Him being the King over His Spiritual kingdom that He has called us into ?

Jn
“ But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye ‘might’ have ‘life through his name’ .

Did we notice the word ‘might’ ..?
Did we notice, ‘Life’ through ‘His Name’.. ?

But what is His Name ?
It is The whole Word of God,..
Rev...... “And His Name is called The Word of God”...
( He, Who speaketh to us, and we are led by The Spirit of God)
.....Life through His Name,...
.. His Name is “Jesus, The Word of God.”

I believe if one brings up a subject, and we are persuaded in ourselves to give an answer,.. then we seek within to give a Godly answer,.. but did the first church, that was thought if they continued, they would turn the world upside down,.. did they desire debate?... the weeds grow up , but it is He that will separate one day.... and oh how sad for their decisions.

Or,..the first church,did they have a type of Grace that causes a mighty work in them ,..Light,.. which is The enlightened Word of God within, and in their lives, that many were being brought to that Light,.. ..The Light that crowds out the darkness?

Is something desperately lacking in us who call ourselves Christians ?
Where is The Light that overcomes the darkness?

Help us Lord,.. me as well.

Love of God,....

~~~~~~~~~~
elizabeth

2019/7/13 17:01Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Because the early church had to fight heresies for three hundreds years to do with Christ
To me there are as many heresies now that need to be called out i would state that bethel church or hillsong or Todd white is as bad as the jehovah witnesses but no one has bothered to add them to Walter martins kingdom of the cult book

By the term cult I mean nothing derogatory to any group so classified. A cult, as I define it, is any religious group which differs significantly in one or more respects as to belief or practice from those religious groups which are regarded as the normative expressions of religion in our total culture (Preface, xii).
I may add to this that a cult might also be defined as a group of people gathered about a specific person or person’s misinterpretation of the Bible. For example, Jehovah’s Witnesses are, for the most part, followers of the interpretations of Charles T. Russell and J. F. Rutherford.
Although founder Russell and his successor Rutherford are long since dead, Jehovah’s Witnesses today still look to the Watchtower organization and its Governing Body to understand the Bible. In fact, Jehovah’s Witnesses are taught that they cannot understand the Bible without the organization explaining it to them.
The Christian Scientist of today is a disciple of Mary Baker Eddy and her interpretations of Scripture. The Mormons, by their own admission, adhere to those interpretations found in the writings of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young and continued by their current president, called the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator. From a theological viewpoint, the cults contain many major deviations from historical Christianity. Yet, paradoxically, they continue to insist that they are entitled to be classified as Christians.
Kingdom of the cults

Essentially anything that strays from historical Christianity

2019/7/14 11:16Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy