Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Has the reformation ended

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Has the reformation ended

https://youtu.be/Ooy4kJFCmNY
With justin Welby joining together with the pope and the general state of the ecumenical movement joining with tje Catholic church has the reformation ended
To me as there can be no proper revival until we are removed from the Catholic church

Where are the so called reformed movement?
Where is the discernment in the church ?

2019/7/8 7:06Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Has the reformation ended

You expect Justin Welby to have discernment?

2019/7/8 10:37Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

The reformation in England happened when the church of England split from the Catholic church now that they are joining together with every other denomination from Baptist to Pentecostal to Methodist group

2019/7/9 2:56Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Reformation thoughts

The Reformation is and was an extremely complicated series of people and events that in my opinion continues to this day.

In the 15th and 16th centuries, the corruption in the Roman church was descending into unbelievable depravity, but because of the iron grip it had politically, opposing it was a death sentence!

One way the darkness was held on the people was through forced illiteracy. Church "business" was done in Latin, and only the priests were allowed to use the language. And the written word was not available to the unwashed masses, they were to live by pronouncements from the Pope published and distributed around the church empire. To oppose what was thus written, made you subject to execution- and a lot of that was done.

I find it interesting that Martin Luther had an upbringing from Hell, a brutal father and his complicit wife. In the end, Martin chose the priesthood and the Monastery to spite his father, whom he knew hated God and the church with ugly gusto. When God broke through to Martin, He had already prepared him for the brutal conflict to follow.

Reformation is born in fire, just the way things work.

But the real momentum of the Reformation was the invention of the printing press, and Tyndale's totally illegal translation of the Scriptures into the common language- for the first time in centuries, common people could see what God had written, and how it was diametrically opposed to the Papal Bulls.

That of course sent Tyndale to the flaming stake, but the continuation of the printed gospel and growing public literacy ensured the progress of the Reformation.

Meanwhile in England, Henry VIII was unable to get an heir from his wife Catherine, and could not get a writ of annulment from the Pope. He was fooling around with saucy little Anne Boleyn, who got pregnant a bit too early.

Henry's tumultuous sex life, his impatience with the Pope, and his belief that as King he could do whatever he wished, led him to sever ties with the Pope- risking a great internal rebellion as many of the loyal Catholics in England would conclude that the subsequent excommunication by the Pope would consign them all to Hell. They weren't willing to support a King at that price!

This is all fascinating history- with Henry being succeeded by (Catholic) Bloody Mary, and then by (Protestant) Elizabeth who was a long reigning monarch who favored the new protestantism.

One can certainly understand the American founders, familiar with not only the English conflicts but also the bloody clashes in France, Spain, and Germany in the same time frame, chose emphatically to keep governance and church issues separate!

And all of that on one level- while my personal need for reformation and the acquisition of the living Christ goes on in the deeper level of my own heart and mind!

The rise of Islam and of widespread public contempt for Christianity suggests to me that while the Reformation continues, the forms are changing. And the spectre of a global conflagration becomes more and more plausible as Western Civilization abandons moral restraint.

The Scripture poses this semi-rhetorical question, "Will the Son of Man find faith on the earth when He returns?"

Uh.... Will He find anyone alive???

Come Lord Jesus!

2019/7/20 16:31Profile
docs

Re:

Maybe it's not so much that the Reformation has ended (I don't believe it has) but that the final latter day apostasy has begun seen by a great falling away from the faith (II Thess 2:3). It makes it seem as if all is going this way but that is a false perception. People are being truly added to the kingdom of God daily even as apostasy is sprouting its wings.

A latter day prophecy by the prophet Daniel - "Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed TILL THE TIME OF THE END. Many shall be purified, made white, and refined, but the wicked shall do wickedly; and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand" (Daniel 11:9-10)

No matter what is going on around us the church is portrayed as being UNDERSTANDING and not confused at the time of the end. I guess None of this apostasy should surprise us because we have the enlightenment of scripture and the Holy Spirit telling us beforehand. We know beforehand what to look for and what the outcome of events will be.

Grace alone.
Faith alone.
Christ alone.
Scripture alone.
All to the glory of God alone.

Amen even unto the time of the end! No compromise.

2019/7/20 17:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy