SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : forbid speaking in tongues ?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
readyornot

forbid speaking in tongues ?

Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
1 Corinthians 14:39

Churches today that claim to follow God's Word, yet forbid speaking in tongues and do not earnestly desire that their people prophesy, should ask themselves how V 37-39 might apply to them.

Quench not the Spirit. 1 Thessalonians 5:19

Rejecting the Holy Spirit's such as prophesying or other spiritual gifts will result in the loss of edification, and exhortation, and comfort. ( 1 Cor 14:3 )
Do you think maybe, this could result in moral and emotional and spiritual decay
with-in our Church today?

2019/6/20 18:01Profile
Sree

Re: forbid speaking in tongues ?

The Church has nothing to do with Forbidding tongues or even encouraging it.

14:4-The one who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but the one who prophesies edifies the church.

Tongue is for self edification and not for edifying the Church. Hence the Church does not suffer by someone forbidding tongue, in fact it will only be benefited as there is less a confusion.

Tongue is for edifying oneself. It is a great gift to praise God in an unkown tongue. But it does not befit anyone else unless there is an interpreter.

2019/6/20 22:46Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

“To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:” (1 Corinthians 12:10).
Tongues is a gift of the Spirit given to the Church. The gift of tongues in the church will always be accompanied by the interpretation of tongues.

Sent from my iPhone

2019/6/21 13:36Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Tongues is a gift of the Spirit given to the Church. The gift of tongues in the church will always be accompanied by the interpretation of tongues.

Tongue is given to individual people and not to the whole Church. Paul clearly says not everyone in the Church will speak in tongues. In 1 Cor 12:10 - the whole context here is that, same spirit gives all gift to people.

Also there is no guarantee that there will always be interpretation of tongues. If so then why is Paul asking Corinthians not to speak in tongues if there is no one to interpret?

1 Cor 14:28: - But if there is no interpreter, he should remain silent in the church and speak only to himself and God.

It is responsibility of the person speaking in tongues to make sure there is a person who can interpret.

Tongue can be used to bless the Church but that is not the only way. Paul himself writes that it is better for Prophets to bless the Church than tongues! Tongues are primarily for self edification as written in the Bible (1 Cor 14:4). But today there are 2 extremes. One extreme of Pentecostal people who keep shouting in tongues which Paul clearly warns not to do. Another Extreme of those who forbid this gift. God's truth is always in the middle.

2019/6/21 15:26Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I am in agreement with JB Phillips regarding 1Cor 14. There are slips of Paul’s pen in that passage, or copyist errors particularly in v 22. It should be written the other way around, ie that tongue are a sign for believers, nor unbelievers, because of what is written in v 23 and 24

2019/6/21 16:11Profile
EAGLEFLYING

|
“To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:” (1 Corinthians 12:10).

There are many gifts one spirit.. We can operate in Faith and receive these gifts or operate in Fear and deny the power of these gifts.. The gifts of tongues will always be accompanied by the interpretation of tongues.
20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

I pray we all can focus on JESUS He ordains it all He left the HOLY SPIRIT here for us and He loves unity.. to focus on HIS church HIS Holy Spirit.. May He give us eyes of understanding and be teachable...

in Christ
Sister Frannie

2019/6/25 20:33Profile
jochbaptist

I have seen this scripture ( 1Co 12:28-31) used more than once on SI to answer your question Brother Wijnand.

I disagree.
This has been discussed before. http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=58755&forum=36

I do not see it as Paul speaking of the ability to pray in the Spirit, but as it says, the GIFT of speaking in tounges AND / OR the GIFT of interpretation of the tongue ( a congregational event). Elsewhere Paul encourages members not to pray in tongues during congregation, but rather to prophesy. So in my mind there is a difference between the 2.

I have prayed in (the gift) tongues and others interpreted what I prayed. I also pray in the Spirit. The former is like an HS enhancement of the latter. A gift undeservedly bestowed on me, and not on some others.

I am not an Apostle, but I am sent to my wife and children.
I am not a Prophet, but I can prophesy to them.
I am not Shakespeare, but I can write.
I might not have the GIFT, but I have the basic ability.

Blessings

2019/6/27 3:25Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Here is some good sermons on this topic.

https://www.sermonaudio.com/search.asp?speakeronly=true&currsection=sermonsspeaker&keyword=Dr._George_E._Gardiner

2019/6/27 8:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy