SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Reparations for Slavery in America. Biblical World View?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Theophila

Re: Reparations for Slavery in America. Biblical World View?

Wow!

Reading the comments in this thread, I can see how "upstanding church folks" in the past could have thought slavery was okay.

Deep.

2019/6/24 18:37Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Theophila

Elizabeth Warren Comes Out In Support of "Gay Reparations" Should we "upstanding church folks" think this is ok? Gay's are people to, that have felt like they have been slaves in the eyes of the American church. As I have said, where does it stop? It will never stop!

2019/6/24 18:40Profile
docs

Re: Mr BillPro

I didn't feel you were condemning or supporting reparations. You were just voicing your opinion on this touchy walking on eggshells subject.

Being familiar with the issue and having been involved in past efforts to heal the riff between black and white I'm only trying to remind us how some of the other side in favor of reparations sees things. It's kind of like the Jewish people being told they just need to get over the holocaust. Sorrow can best be expressed by acts of contrition public and private.

Yet even the liberal black ministers and politicians may not speak for all black people as much as they may feel they do. Not all black ministers may support the idea of reparations. It's just that most media outlets are liberal and biased and when that is basically all you see you come to believe that is the way things really are. There are multitudes of orthodox black ministers who have evangelized and built and worked in the inner cities of America for decades but you hardly ever see any of them on the media. Thousands of black minsters do not support abortion or gay rights and the like. I've been around some of them and heard them talk and preach.

I know in Daniel's prayer for his people in Daniel chapter nine he confessed his own sins and the sins of his people and the sins of their forefathers ("we and our fathers have sinned"). Maybe the church needs a more readily acknowledgment and confession of the sins of our fathers regarding slavery. I'm not trying to lay a heavy trip on anyone or condemn. Yet when repentance is deep and sincere it can be the key to a lot of spiritual healing and victory.

2019/6/24 19:38Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: David

I understand where you're coming from, why now? why not bring this up years ago? I know why, the atmosphere is perfect for it. Maybe the real Reparations should go to Jesus, he was beaten, spit on, whipped and nailed to a cross and crucified for all of us, maybe those people hollering Reparations, should pass their gift on to the only person that really deserves Reparations.

2019/6/24 20:20Profile
docs

Re:

/"maybe those people hollering reparations"...../

Again, they would say this is a perfect example of the white man's view that remains largely insensitive to what the black race has experienced in this country which as been entirely different than the other race. They never had their grandfather or ancestors lynched in a public park while a crowd gathered to jeer the victim (mostly innocent victims) as they were beat and spit upon before the rope. They never had their mothers and fathers denied equal access in the workplace because of race as late as the 1960s and 70s and likely beyond. They wonder if we preach the humility of Christ and godly contrition then where is it?

2019/6/26 5:20Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Reparations have already been made through the affirmative action programs that have put the Afro-American to the head of all lists when completing for education, jobs and advancement over the past 50 years.

2019/6/26 8:42Profile
docs

Re: Art Katz: An Answer To Ethnic Identity

A word particularly for the black community (adapted from a letter written to a sister)

Our identity in God is an enormously significant subject. I understand (in measure) the terrible depletion of the Black Man in America and the great need for a self-esteem, dignity and identity in the very area in which he has been robbed. But to predicate that identity on some supposed virtue inherent in race is unhappily reminiscent of that theme exploited by the Black Muslims and even by Farrakhan today. The issue is not whether history verifies it so much as to whether it should be employed.

God’s answer is founded on altogether other lines. We are to find our identity, not on the basis of any natural factor, but rather on a spiritual one, that is to say, “in Christ”! To be a servant and a son are for me ultimate calling. This is the very identity of Christ Himself in His earthly tenure. Ought it not be ours? Is not this the appeal of the great Apostle himself in Philippians 2:5-12? Though he was himself a “Hebrew of the Hebrews,” did he not cast aside his every earthly distinction as dung in order to win Christ?

Ironically, the greatest Christ-like figure in all American literature is the black slave of Uncle Tom’s Cabin. How transcendent his uncomplaining suffering; not once taking issue with the lowliness of his servanthood, but rather glorifying God in it. I do not know of a figure more compelling, more heroic, yet how derogatory today to be called an ‘Uncle Tom’! It would be commendable if the whole Church in America would take to itself this image. But who will model this for us? Where are the actual examples of this servanthood demonstrated before us by black men and women? Where are those who would voluntarily forsake upward mobility in the ‘white man’s world’ in order to demonstrate the timelessness of God’s own character in meekness. What a call! Who would have the courage to embrace it?

This is not to negate ‘blackness,’ but perhaps to identify, in part, the very wisdom of God in bestowing it! It is no accident that the servant who succeeds in saving the prophet Jeremiah out of the death of the miry pit is a black eunuch! Though the king ordered Jeremiah’s execution, this man recognized the value of the prophet, and risked his own life to propose saving him! His fashioning of a harness of ropes made by rags completes the picture of ‘lowliness’ incorporate not only in a servant, but a black servant, not only a servant but a eunuch robbed of his own sexuality!

Can it be that God reserves for the socially ‘lowest,’ and even despised, the greatest honor of a last days’ heroic salvation of the remnant of Israel by that servant people who cannot allow our ‘dungeon-death’ even at the risk of their own life? Great and unimaginable honor and distinction will be theirs eternally in the Kingdom.

No doubt such a line of consideration to drifting, aimless black youth would seem a vapor. ”How impractical can you get?” Aggressive self-assertion, not servanthood, is the theme of the hour. Millions of dollars in product endorsement and salaries await the successful black athlete or rap star. A crown of thorns has no honor or riches. Who dares propose such an alternative? Who has in measure himself appropriated it?

2019/6/27 10:05Profile
Jasmine

How many of you in this thread have had conversations with Christian African Americans in real life – face to face about Christ, life, and other subjects including reparations?

Have you sat across from a Christian African American (or non Christian African American) in real life and said the things you have said in this thread?

Where have you gotten your information regarding reparations from?

*I will take your silence to mean that you are not and probably have never been in real relationship with Christian African Americans in real life – face to face. I will take it that the information you have, you gathered from Conservative talk radio including web sites, TV, News, and Blogs. I'm guessing the same can be said for Right Wing and white supremacist sites as well. There is also the possibility of “shadowing” African American web sites and Blogs. Please correct me if I'm wrong about where you've gotten your information from.

2019/6/27 19:04Profile
Jasmine

Rp

2019/6/27 19:05Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:
Jasmine....Have you sat across from a Christian African American (or non Christian African American) in real life and said the things you have said in this thread?

Yes! my sister in law, she's 67 and she agrees with with everything I've personally written on the thread. Anything else?

2019/6/27 21:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy