SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Reparations for Slavery in America. Biblical World View?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
profitadune

Reparations for Slavery in America. Biblical World View?

Right now the United States government, and many candidates running for President in 2020 are discussing the need for the American people to pay reparations to African-Americans for the scourge of chattel slavery in America that existed from the mid-1600’s until 1865.

I am just curious what your thoughts are on this from a Biblical world view.

2019/6/20 10:56Profile
docs

Re: Reparations for Slavery in America. Biblical World View?

It's a good question and could lead to some serious discussion. One question is the sovereignty of God. Why did He allow this to happen to a certain race of people in the first place? But the Lord is likely to be left out of the discussion in any substantial way even though ministers may appear on behalf of reparations. It was wrong what was done but what to do now is the question I guess. How much would each person or family receive? Giving large sums of money to people, if that's the way it would be done, can also have negative results also because not all would handle it wisely. Many things to consider.

One thing that comes to my mind right away when thinking on this subject is that those who are pushing for reparations are in the forefront of those who support abortion on demand for any reason, gay marriage and the LGBT movement. The support for abortion as coming from the progressive black Congressional caucus if you will has cost over twenty million black lives at this point. Yet they are in the lead of those calling for reparations. Ironic to say the least. On this subject, are we as Christian morally obligated to support reparations along with these people who have such a world view?

2019/6/20 18:08Profile
profitadune

Re:

Thank you for your well thought out and worded response. A lot to contemplate. I appreciate it. Hopefully others will also offer some insight.

I am asking this question with no agenda. I simply dont know what the proper Biblical response should be to this topic. I am looking to learn from all of you.

2019/6/21 7:27Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Reparations for Slavery in America. Biblical World View?

Slavery was a terrible scourge on our nation and a very great price was paid in human lives during the Civil War. It is a dark chapter in our history and thankfully it is over 150 years behind us.

I'm not sure what the idea of reparations will do at this point other than to foster the victim mentality that is already so prevalent and hindering many. If you see yourself as a victim that is all you will ever be.

I really appreciated Ben Carson's testimony about how his mother taught him to never see himself as a victim; and if anyone could think of themselves as a victim it was her, she had a rough upbringing and marriage. But she taught her boys otherwise and Ben became a world famous neuro-surgeon and eventually ran for president. This is the kind of message that African-American youth need to hear.

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: (Proverbs 23:7a)

2019/6/21 19:37Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

How about verses about being content. I can’t imagine any Christian African American in favor of reparations.

Slavery occurred 200 years ago.

2019/6/21 19:50Profile
docs

Re:

This effort for reparations is being led by the liberal progressive wing of the Congressional black caucus and ministers like Rev Al Sharpton and the like. The black community found itself locked out of opportunity and equality especially after World War II. It was mainly white liberal pastors who finally joined with Martin Luther King etc. and his efforts for civil rights. Many liberal ministers marched with Dr. King. The white conservative church of the day was basically absent from any calls to end segregation based on race and even in many instances was itself biased against the black race in America. Gradually the black civil rights movement turned to those willing to help which was the government and social and religious liberals. Eventually what started out as perhaps a true spiritual movement for freedom in the black church became a political movement petitioning government to make things right. It sort of got stuck there and to a large degree the religious leadership in the black community has followed the trend and supports abortion rights, gay marriage etc. True ministers in the black community who preach from the scriptures, and there are more than acknowledged, and stand against such things are not given the time of the day by the media. So all you basically see in the media is the liberal wing and their efforts who always stress getting the government to do things and you think that is the only thing going. The "white church" missed a real opportunity back in the 1940s, 50s and 60s to make their voice heard in regards to civil rights but as stated many within this section of the church were prejudice themselves.

2019/6/22 5:42Profile
profitadune

Re:

Good responses all. Docs, your history on this is exceptional. Thank you for sharing that. There were a few things in what you wrote that I had not considered before.

Just so everyone knows, I am not for reparations for all the reasons that the others have listed.

2019/6/22 6:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I did not want to give the impression that I think everything is just hunky dory or that there has not been tons of injustice in the past and now. I’ve been listening to a podcast called “white lies” about the murder of a white civil rights worker in Selma by thugs and the lack of justice he received due to blatant and disgusting racism from judges, attorneys, the sheriff and his racist posse and the regular folks- none who would testify against the killers who were known.

Anyway it’s a fascinating and sad story.

But reparations is throwing a very substantial amount of money at an issue, apparently to assuage consciences, but it won’t do one lick to change anything.

2019/6/22 7:33Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

The solution to all of this, whether it's the Trans-Atlantic slave trade, or the Trail of Tears and stealing land from Indians, or any other injustice, is forgiveness. Money won't heal past hurts.

2019/6/22 23:38Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: Nigel

Nigel, you're right, money won't buy true love, buy salvation, or heal past hurts, I've heard it does make living in misery a little easier.

2019/6/23 8:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy