Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sola scriptura and tradition

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

Sola scriptura and tradition

2 Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you. (I Cor 11:2)

15 So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth (oral transmission) or by letter (written transmission) from us. (II Thess 2:15)

What tradition and traditions? And Paul passed them on orally and by written means. As a believer in sola scriptura I've basically been taught to avoid and shun all tradition when it comes to living the Christian life because it can interfere with the role of the Holy Spirit in our lives etc. But Paul above doesn't seem to share my sentiments. What is he speaking of?

Is any and all tradition inherently bad just because it is tradition?

2019/6/17 15:48Profile
Sree

Re: Sola scriptura and tradition

Jesus purposely broke traditions set by Pharasees. He even spoke against their traditions like

Mark 7 - 8 :- “You abandon the commandments of God to follow human traditions.” 9 He added, “You have no trouble rejecting the commandments of God in order to keep your own traditions! 10 For example, Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’ and ‘Whoever curses father or mother must be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a person tells his father or mother that whatever he might have used to help them is corban (that is, an offering to God), 12 he no longer has to do anything for his father or mother.’ 13 Because of your traditions you have destroyed the authority of God’s word. And you do many other things like that.”

The problem is not traditions but abandoning the command of God to follow human traditions.

There is nothing wrong in having traditions. Holy Communion is also a tradition, which Jesus commanded us to do. But if you do it meaningless and break bread with people whom you have no unity with, then it is wrong. So just following something as a ritual without reverence is unprofitable.

I find people who think they have this great wisdom to point out traditions, are very dangerous. One elderly guy in our Church called the way we appoint elders as traditions and left our Church. Before that he met families individually trying to convince them about the traditions. Though our method of appointing an elder in the Church can be seen as a tradition, we have a very good scriptural backing, we also do it with reverence. But he cared least about it and walked away calling us Pharisees.

Edited to add these :-

I believe the Traditions that Paul is talking about here is same as what Jesus said - 'Follow me'. Paul is telling the Church to follow him and his practices. Now we have scriptures canonized, we can find answers to many questions. But in those days they did not have a Bible to find answers to their questions of daytoday life. Hence Paul is telling them to do anything that they see in him. Since he is following Jesus, the Church can follow Paul and there by follow Jesus.

Phil - 4 -9 Practice what you’ve learned and received from me, what you heard and saw me do. Then the God who gives this peace will be with you.

2019/6/17 17:51Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy