Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : homosexuality

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
luckyd

tx

homosexuality

I was in class and about 2 or 3 times homosexuality was brought up from a teacher. We were able to bring up daily discussions for about 15 minutes. for example a kid one day said something about a bishop admitting he was gay. My teacher said they were going to hell. Now i got mad. i got mad because he said it just like that and i know god is a god of love. Of course they may go to hell, but #1 who are we to judge only god can, and #2 wouldnt god liked it if he would of said something positive about how we should help them instead of making them seem like they are fully evil and #3 Sure its a sin to be gay but we once brought up how 2 unmarried people had sex, so shouldnt every time we brought up sins people made, shouldnt he of said they were going to hell, why only gays? i saw people and i saw how they hated gays and because of things like this, gays are being murdered and abused. So can someone please tell me what i can tell someone when they hate gays because they know gays are going to hell.

2005/7/10 20:44Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Re: homosexuality

Is your teacher a #1 Nominal Christian... #2 Christian... #3 Non-Christian?

2005/7/10 21:14Profile
luckyd

tx

Re:

my teacher is actually a catholic, but of course they still read the same bible...so what do i do

2005/7/11 0:45Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. God did judge it's in the word sodom and gomorrah. we must stand on the word and not our feeling. Jesus died for all,he loved the sinner but not the sin. all have the same chance to make it to heaven, but all will not choose the right path. God is a just God

2005/7/11 1:20Profile
ellie

UK

Hi,

I find this subject difficult and have not had to face it seriously except for a niece who is gay. I don't see her and so I avoid the subject.

God himself will judge everyone no matter who we are. But there are certain things in life that can lead to hell. But again it is God who will
have the final judgement.

It is a subject in time that I will have to face
the only way this will happen is with Gods help.

You could say to your teacher that his comment has upset you and give him the reasons, you gave on here.

You could talk to God about this subject and ask him to help you to understand the meaning of these and other things you will come across in life. This could be a wonderful opportunity to come closer to God and lean on him for all manner of answers.

It could be that you might become a pray-er for these people. Asking God that he have Mercy upon them and that by his Grace they might come to know him.
That they might be redeemed by the Holy Spirit, to the light of the Lord Jesus and know their salvation in him and through him.

I hope this helps.

ellie

2005/7/11 4:16Profile

Re:

Quote:
my teacher is actually a catholic, but of course they still read the same bible

Hate to burst your bubble... but no, the Catholics do NOT read the same Bible.

Krispy

2005/7/11 5:55

Quote:
So can someone please tell me what i can tell someone when they hate gays because they know gays are going to hell.

What makes you think that when someone says that without repentence and turning to Christ for salvation a person will be in hell for eternity is hate? The loving thing to do is to warn someone of their sin... to tell them there is a way out of eternal judgement thru Christ. How can that be hateful?

Do people hate sodomites? Absolutely some Christians do, I'm not denying it. But your post is so wishy-washy on this. The Word states very plainly where God stands on this subject. He calls us all to repentance... and without repentence (forsaking our sin), and continuing willingly in our sin... there is no salvation.

People have to be told that... and told boldly.

It's not hate. You seem very confused on what love is. Love is not a warm fuzzy.

Krispy

2005/7/11 6:02

luckyd,

There is a key verse in Romans 1 which says
25 [b]Who changed the truth of God[/b] into a lie, [u]and[/u][b] worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator[/b], who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Here, Paul is not creating a new strand of the gospel, he is applying God's word from the law which was given to Moses, for New Testament believers, to make sure none us think Christianity is an ideology which applies from the neck up only.

We are all familiar with the first commandment - to love God. This is further re-inforced by the second commandment in which idolatry is forbidden, part of the practices of which include a long list of specific sexual behaviours, of which homosexual acts is only one. (Lev 18)

Romans 1:22
Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

This is a very important statement, because again, it is not new. Paul links it to people being dishonest with truth about God. Paul is saying there is a link between denying truth about God and gradually coming to believe God does not exist. Once a person believes there is no God, there is no good reason not to behave as he likes. Probably, you should read the whole of Paul's explanation from v 13 - 32 (Romans 1).

The Old Testament also has something to say about fools - 'The fool hath said in his heart "There is no God"' (Psalm 14:1 says the same as Psalm 53:1 'The fool hath said in his heart, [There is] no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: [there is] none that doeth good.')

According to the law (of God) in the Old Testament, people who committed homosexual acts could expect to be cut off from Him for ever. This didn't stop it happening. But, in Romans 2, Paul says ' despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?' (v 4) And that's where we are today, advising homosexuals to repent.

In another place, Paul is reminding a church how important it is to cease from certain named sins:

1 Corinthians 6*
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? [u]Be not deceived[/u]: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, [u]nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind[/u],
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 [u]And such were some of you[/u]: [b]but[/b] [u]ye are washed[/u], [b]but[/b] [u]ye are sanctified[/u], [b]but[/b] [u]ye are justified[/u] [b]in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God[/b].

What Paul says here is important, as it is specific and clear. Those who come to Christ [u]can be saved[/u], from homosexuality. [i]To a homosexual, this is an important part of the gospel to him (or her)[/i].

There are many places in the Bible, where it says the word of God will endure for ever. Jesus was the Word made Flesh. He said 'I am the Truth'.

The gospel is not open to negotiation. Christ Himself proved that it is possible to live a life of sexual purity. That's why, when you say your teacher raised the subject, I believe it was to make sure you guys know how important it is to get your sexual behaviour into line with God's word. (See* above This doesn't mean not being married, but it does mean not doing many other things (not just gay things) which are against God's commands.

Quote:
I was in class and about 2 or 3 times homosexuality was brought up from a teacher. We were able to bring up daily discussions for about 15 minutes. for example a kid one day said something about a bishop admitting he was gay.

The bishop, even with a different Bible, will know that homosexuality is an abomination in God's sight.

2005/7/11 7:45

Re: ex-homosexual's testimony

I did hear a testimony once, of a Christian who had come from a family in which homosexuality was expected. He had practised it from boyhood. But, when he came to the Lord, he knew he had to abstain, and did so, year after year (for 7 years). Then, God began to speak to him about getting married, and eventually he did.

This kind of testimony is not uncommon in Christian circles, but, because of Christian attitudes to homosexuality, it is not always well-received to testify about it in one's home church!

Personally, I think this is sad. It shows that ordinary believers are not familiar with the understanding of what a radical change Christ can make in a life, even leading men to become ministers, after such a background. Also, it offers very little hope to the young men and women who may be wondering about these things for themselves, depending on their own experiences, as they don't get a role model from within their local body of believers.

People like the gay bishop you mentioned, do absolutely nothing to help the power of the gospel reach the ears of those who need to hear it.

2005/7/11 7:48

Re: Such a needed subject

Is it any wonder that many "gays" hate chrisitans? The only word many christians have for gays is "hell".

Being gay is no doubt one of the most difficult and empty life styles on earth. Wealth has no bearing on well being. It is empty, lonely, and often deeply troubling to the gay.Their houses are built on quick sand. They dont' need a storm to destroy it, it folds up all too quickly on it's own.

Given the opportunity, I really don't believe that anyone would choose to be gay. If you the reader are hetrosexual and think it is a choice, let me ask you this. When did you did you choose to be hetrosexual? What criteria did you use?

Gender orientation usually occurs when one is very immature emotionally. It is not something that is decided upon after much experience or investigation, and education.

Just because you or I may not be gay, does not relive us the responsibility of being compassionate and loving. Does the gay have the right to condemn you because of your lying, gossipping, over eating, speeding? Just pick one. We all have at least one. If you're like me, you have more than one.

The fact is that all have sinned and fallen short. That lumps us all together. There is only one redemption for this problem. Jesus Christ. Gays have just as much rigth to grace as anyone else. Share the love and mercy of Jesus with them, and the Holy Spirit will deal with them about their homosexuality. Is anything impossible for our God? Did God run short on mercy for you? What makes us think that He will for gays?

Prejudice is a terrible sin. So are value judgements made by sight. God looks on the inward part. Oh that we could do the same. I have to believe that our quick and simple value judgements are often as much a stench to God as the homosexual sin. We dare not stand in front of the church and pray to God that we are glad we are not like that gay on the back row. Just don't even go there, beloved.

Jesus told us to go and preach to all, not just all except gays. The gay community is hurting for those who are willing to lay down his or her life for them and minister the love of Jesus to them. Jesus told the pharasees that their sin was that they did not believe on the One Whom He sent. Unbelief was their big problem. Not gambling, or lust, or whatever. We all know we have a "whatever". What gays need to know is the remedy. His name is Jesus.

2005/7/11 7:52

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy