Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fasting, Praying, Repentance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sherri2

Fasting, Praying, Repentance

Brothers and Sisters,
With sincerity of heart, desiring nothing but the will of God, and His love perfected in our lives as we seek Him diligently....please prayerfully approach the following.....

There doesn’t seem to be much teaching on fasting and praying. Recently there’s been a stirring in my heart to MINISTER TO THE LORD. There’s been many passages of scripture that keep coming up, causing a deeper hunger and thirst for Jesus....a hunger and thirst that cannot be explained.... As the scriptures open up, there are things too wonderful to fully comprehend. Jesus was led into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit to fast and pray right after He was baptized in water and filled with the Holy Spirit.....The disciples tarried in the upper room with fasting and praying until they were endued with power from on high....Nineveh fasted and prayed in repentance and God relented.....Joel says to weep and mourn with fasting and praying while seeking God.....Jesus says to take up our cross, deny ourselves and follow Him.....Jesus told His disciples to watch and pray so they would not enter into temptation.....Jesus withdrew often to pray.....Jesus said not to work for the food that perishes, but for the food that is eternal....There are passages that say return to Me with fasting and prayer.....

He who has suffered in the flesh ceases from sin.....Paul said he learned to be content in every situation.....The power of the Holy Spirit is made perfect in our weakness....2 Timothy 3 talks about having a form of godliness, but denying the power. These passages keep coming up in conversation, devotional, scripture reading....FAST——PRAY— REPENT— MINISTER TO THE LORD.

While seeking the Lord in these areas, please share what the Lord has taught you in these things. Most gladly, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

2019/6/10 13:42Profile
NoahJD83

Re: Fasting, Praying, Repentance

I got interested in fasting because I was desperate for a breakthrough. As I started learning, watching youtube sermons and reading books I realized fasting was exactly what I was looking for, but its not covered much in many churches. Some do though. It is exactly what I was looking for for breakthrough, but for more than just some habitual sin breakthrough. I just read Derek Prince's book on Fasting. The overall picture now that I have of fasting is that: The powerful conversion I had earlier in my life (near death out of body experience conversion from atheism), and the powerful things I read in the Bible... I always wanted to live that kind of Christian spiritual life. Fasting and praying, I believe now, is exactly what is necessary, and is the missing piece to the church that lacks power. One main reason is humility. When you are humble not only are you super close to God and can feel him so much more frequently, but he can use humble people a lot. The other reason is deeper repentance and of course breakthrough from habitual sins/besetting sins, and mentioned earlier.

So finally I've found what I have been looking for: a discipline that Jesus taught that gives us power to subdue the flesh and pride in our life so we can let the Spirit reign more and more.

2019/6/11 1:03Profile
docs

Re:

I am more interested in fasting right now than maybe I have ever been. I have some breakthroughs I need in different areas of my life and I want to fast for just overall sanctification and setting myself apart for times of worship and personal communion with the Lord. Yet at this point I find it harder to do than I remember from my younger days. It's just difficult to do without food at this point but I've been making a little progress in doing with smaller and smaller portions of food at times. I heartily concur that we need to get back to it. Please pray for me as the thing I desire the most now seems out of my reach. I need grace.

2019/6/11 5:35Profile
NoahJD83

Re:

You know what I've learned from youtube videos about all the various types of fasting and physical and spiritual benefits (both secular and christian) is that any period of reduction of food intake actually helps to decrease the flesh and increase the spirit. People also talk about "fasting" from other things like TV, sweets, internet, social media, etc.

Some people start their "fasting" by just reducing their food and changing what they eat. For example, skipping breakfast, or just having a piece of fruit or two and waiting as long as they can until they eat a regular meal in the afternoon or evening.

Some people sometimes progress to the OMAD plan, or One Meal A Day plan. One person said a good reason for this kind of fasting (OMAD) is that human growth hormone is released at night time while you sleep, but once you eat in the morning it stops. If you extend that period of not eating you can extend the period of release of human growth hormone (which has health benefits).

Others, after decreasing their food and eating fruits and vegetables for a period of time begin an actual water fast where they go for varying periods of time without food, only water. Some will do it with black coffee only. etc.

Fasting had been so hard for me in the past that I never was very successful. But, I am learning, any period of "denying the flesh", for example not eating until 2pm, is still useful for decreasing the flesh and increasing the spirit.

Shane Idleman also said that if you are coming off of fast food, or any junk food including caffeine, going straight into a fast will be super hard. (he also said fast food places actually inject addictive substances into their food to make you crave it more). Its best to get your body used to less food and only healthy food like fruit and veges.

Someone once said "the body makes a great servant, but a horrible master".

“Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified.” (1 Corinthians 9:26–27, NASB95)

2019/6/11 14:24Profile
Sree

When I fasted, it was always for some spiritual reason. To equip me in some battle. But once I decided to fast and did not find any spiritual reason to fast! At that time my 3 year old daughter came to me, 'Daddy Daddy', when I asked her what you want, she had no answer. Again she kept calling me but had no real purpose. Then I understood that she wanted my attention and was trying to win it by coming to me and calling me. I learnt that God to wants me to fast and hold on to him like a child to his Dad. Even though the Child wants nothing new, she still delights in the presence of Dad. So I too decided to fast without any particular reason or prayer but just seeking to be in his presence.

I also see fasting as a means of confessing my weakness. Food gives us strength to do day-to-day tasks. But when we ignore the strength from food and seek God, we confess indirectly that 'Not by my might but by your holy Spirit'.

2019/6/11 14:32Profile
sherri2

Re:

Thanks for all the input, it is so helpful. Although there’s such a hunger and thirst for more of Jesus, it’s just to really know Him more...to love and obey Him...to seek Him, then as the Holy Spirit leads, do whatever He asks, that He alone would be glorified.

Sree said “I learnt that God to wants me to fast and hold on to him like a child to his Dad. Even though the Child wants nothing new, she still delights in the presence of Dad. So I too decided to fast without any particular reason or prayer but just seeking to be in his presence.

I also see fasting as a means of confessing my weakness. Food gives us strength to do day-to-day tasks. But when we ignore the strength from food and seek God, we confess indirectly that 'Not by my might but by your holy Spirit'.”

Yes brother, exactly what our hearts are to long for in fasting, to love Jesus with all of our hearts. As we seek Him, we will find Him when we seek Him with all of our heart. Isn’t fasting done for spiritual direction as well?

Noah said “Fasting and praying, I believe now, is exactly what is necessary, and is the missing piece to the church that lacks power. One main reason is humility. When you are humble not only are you super close to God and can feel him so much more frequently, but he can use humble people a lot. The other reason is deeper repentance and of course breakthrough from habitual sins/besetting sins, and mentioned earlier.”

Yes brother, humility and breakthrough. This reminds me of Isaiah 58, the fast that God chooses.

Docs said “I am more interested in fasting right now than maybe I have ever been. I have some breakthroughs I need in different areas of my life and I want to fast for just overall sanctification and setting myself apart for times of worship and personal communion with the Lord.”

Yes brother, same here. Just to minister to the Lord, listening to Him, and doing His will.

2019/6/11 17:26Profile
NoahJD83

Re:

I like that story Sree. And you know, its true, its fun and exciting just to be in God's presence. And not everyone gets to have that type of interaction with God, not everyone knows how nice it is just to seek to be in his presence.

I heard the Christian life was exciting and wonderful, but I never understood that until I experienced God's presence. And fasting is a way to increase and maintain that kind of thing. You would think "oh denying myself food, oh great" but actually you get something better instead

2019/6/11 18:04Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

My own experience with fasting started out as a bargaining chip with God; "see God, I'm doing this now You please do that." Well, God corrected that thinking pretty quickly and I began to search out scriptural reasons for fasting, of course an in-depth study of Isaiah 58 is very helpful.

Fasting is not a means of manipulating God. It is not to be a self inflicted suffering. It is about one passion driving out another passion. The passion for our Savior, and His will to be done, should be the motive that drives the passion for earthly things into nothingness in comparison. In this way it does not turn into legalism.

In Christ,

2019/6/11 20:25Profile
mseshoz

Aylesbury, United Kingdom

Thank you for bringing this crucial topic up. Over the years I've noticed it's so much easier to talk, listen to teachings, watch videos, read and think about fasting but if you ever want to see all hell break loose upon you then go ahead and attempt a fast. Clearly the powers of darkness will dispatch all their arsenal upon a child of God who embarks on this journey.
I’ve had a few successes and a thousand failures. Beware of the accuser bringing condemnation when you fail midway to go through with your fast but get back dust yourself down and purpose in your heart to press on. The Lord has surely said when the bridegroom is taken away we will fast, however it is surely a discipline that is becoming extinct. I’ve found that all manner of social engagement springs up when I embark upon a fast so be unapologetic about hiding yourself for a season. Drink a lot of water, the stomach is a spoilt brat and after a few days the hunger pangs will disappear. Unless you have health issues go for a total fast drinking only water. Interestingly the general advise is not to fast if you’re diabetic, however many have reversed this condition through secular intermittent fasting.
Our biggest hindrance to ministering unto the Lord is unbelief of some sort therefore we work out a sweat trying to please Him in fleshly ways (the sons of Zadok were forbidden from wearing anything that would make them sweat). Unbelief will certainly disappear as we deny our flesh impulses, the spiritual antenna becomes sharper and we’re able to pick up the heavenly signals.
Keep the fire on this altar burning, let your fasting and prayers be the fuel and the Lord will sustain you and lift you up to higher ground.
There is a mystery to fasting as a sacrifice that even other religions have tapped into. In the UK we have seen Muslims move into a neighbourhood and after a few cycles of Ramadan they start getting into positions of influence, meanwhile the sons of God and rightful heirs neglect this discipline hence the church in the UK is in such a sorry state. Theirs is obviously not a biblical fast but a student of the bible will know that the creation is consistently being subjected to other instructions and it’s usually the altars that are kept active that tend to prevail. You may know also that many that are involved in the New Age are former church goers that have rejected a dead religion that has no power, anyway I digress!
The Lord is ready to do exceeding abundantly and beyond all we could ever ask or think.
Recently the Lord has again impressed it upon my heart to fast and pray and break bread as often as I can (even daily) I know it is usually a lonely road to walk therefore I do covert your prayers too. This could indeed be a platform to encourage one another on this journey.
Someone has said that the frontline of the advancing kingdom of God is a remnant on it’s knees crying out to the Lord to rend the heavens and pour out a blessing.
It is time to set aside our personal agendas and wait upon the Lord for a revival of religion in our time, who knows maybe we were born for such a time as this.

2019/6/12 10:29Profile
NoahJD83

Re:

I pray encouragement for you as you fast here and there. I am doing a coffee fast this morning. I love it because I can feel the spirit more. my prayer is more exciting. sometimes though its weird, i want to fast but its like its not the time to fast and it doesn't help that much. i don't know, i could be wrong, it could be a test.

pray for me also as I learn to subdue my flesh and make it a slave. I can't wait to sing the worship songs with other believers at church like those hillsong songs that sing about how the lord has set them free.

“Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God.” (1 Peter 2:16, NASB95)

“For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” (Galatians 5:13, NASB95)

2019/6/13 18:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy