Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Speaking only what we hear from God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Speaking only what we hear from God

John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

John 8:26 I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him.

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

There are many other scriptures that say more or less the same thing, especially in the gospel of John.

Neither Jesus nor the Holy Spirit speak for himself, but only what the father told them to say. If anyone would have the authority to speak, it is the son of God, yet when he was in the flesh he only spoke what he heard the father told him.

The best sermons in the bible were not from script but inspired there and then: The sermon on the mount, Peter at Pentecost, Stephen's defence, Paul in Athens etc.

How does that apply to a preacher of the New Covenant? For those of us who preach, are we able to totally depend on God for everything, despite of theological training, experience, learning, rhethoric and reasoning skill?

Have you ever stood before a congregation not knowing what to say but received it while you opened your mouth?

I hear so much clever preaching and teaching, but for most the learning, cleverness and ingenuity of man is at display and God gets little, if no glory.

Show me a man in utter weakness and dependance upon God opening up his mouth and inspired words will flow out of him that give grace to the hearers.

I myself struggle to become weak enough for God that he can trust me with the unction that truly touches the hearts and minds of men from inside. I labour and labour and I only see dull faces in front of me. Ever felt like that?

Here are 2 sermons from Gbile Akanni that touch on this matter.

THE HOLY SPIRIT PART 1 BY GBILE AKANNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJyMbXE2YU

THE HOLYSPIRIT PART 2 BY GBILE AKANNI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnxU9W5Etg

2019/6/3 16:44Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Speaking only what we hear from God

Yes Amen!
This very much seems to be what the Lord Himself desires of His
children🙏🏻

Hope to get to listen to the sermons you shared today:)

2019/6/4 8:15Profile

Re: Speaking only what we hear from God

Quote:
Show me a man in utter weakness and dependance upon God opening up his mouth and inspired words will flow out of him that give grace to the hearers.

If I may humbly share of my experiences with this, as well as additional reminders from the New Covenant writings we have in the Bible for our instruction, I will attest to the reality and need we have of letting the Lord, via His Spirit, lead and govern all we utter (and do).

One of the earliest prayers I remember expressing to Jesus, after being baptized in the Holy Spirit and truly coming into living relationship with Him, was along these lines: "Lord, allow me to be like a puppet or robot for you. You control my mouth and actions. Let me speak only your words. Give me the right words at the right times; otherwise, keep me silent!"

Through years of being strictly disciplined by my Heavenly Father and Master, humbly learning to keep my mind set on His Spirit and obey Him as He speaks and commands, He has taught and led me in this way - for my spiritual benefit and, most importantly, His glory. Hallelujah and amen always! (see Hebrews 12:5-11 NASB)

Honestly and sincerely, with a clear conscience, I may share with you the way in which God controls my tongue. Sometimes, He surprises me with the things He would actually have me speak, being either more bold or urgent to offer that which I hear Him telling me to communicate to others. Other times, very commonly and frequently in fact, He holds my tongue still, even if I think there may be something to offer. Such a blessing it is, I must report, to have the Spirit grab a hold of my tongue and lips - quite literally - keeping me from saying something He doesn't want spoken! In my daily life, I approach interactions and communications with patient reverence before Him, praying at all times in the Spirit, asking God to provide and control my words.

I am very glad you brought up this subject, referencing the fact there are many times Jesus spoke of it, as well as having obediently displayed it in His own life. Also, the Acts of the Apostles relays examples relying on the Spirit to guide and control preaching. (Acts 6:8-11; 16:8-10 NASB come to mind)

Quote:
I hear so much clever preaching and teaching, but for most the learning, cleverness and ingenuity of man is at display and God gets little, if no glory.

Yes - sad; but true! Let's remember this from Paul, in contrast: "And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of (human) wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory...but just as it is written,
“THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD,
AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN,
ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.”
For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ." (from 1 Corinthians 2 NASB)

"...and pray on my behalf, that utterance may be given to me in the opening of my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak." (Ephesians 6:19-20 NASB)

Also consider 1 Thessalonians 1:5-6 NASB: "...for our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction; just as you know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. You also became imitators of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much tribulation with the joy of the Holy Spirit."

Let us be certain to humble ourselves, fully submitted, offering ourselves as living and holy sacrifices (1 Corinthians 12:1-8 NASB), recognizing this includes trusting He wants and is able to govern our words! Take note, here and in other places (such as 1 Corinthians 12:7-11; 14:26 NASB), the fact teaching, exhortation, wisdom, knowledge, prophecy, revelations, psalms, tongues, interpretations are all the outward expressions of gifts distributed by His Spirit.

Quote:
I myself struggle to become weak enough for God that he can trust me with the unction that truly touches the hearts and minds of men from inside. I labour and labour and I only see dull faces in front of me. Ever felt like that?

My prayer, for you and all who have "ears to hear," is you would be that much more deliberate in your humbling of yourself before God, waiting upon Him to fill and guide you in all areas of speech and action. Don't presume to speak until you know the way He would have you do so. If it means stepping back, withdrawing in prayer until such time you are sure you know better His will and ways in this regard, so be it. Don't focus on your hearers or worry about the result of your words; rather, stay attentive to the One Who speaks life! (John 6:63; Matthew 4:4 NASB)

Allow me to offer these Scriptures, encouraging you to meditate upon them, as well...

*Proverbs 15:2,4,7,23,33 and 25:11,13 NASB)

"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, OR WHO BECAME HIS COUNSELOR? Or WHO HAS FIRST GIVEN TO HIM THAT IT MIGHT BE PAID BACK TO HIM AGAIN? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen.
(Romans 11:33-36 NASB)

2019/6/6 8:30

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy