SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Fellowship with brothers and sisters from different congregations

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Fellowship with brothers and sisters from different congregations

Dear brothers and sisters,

I asked long time ago whether there was something wrong to fellowship with believers from other church (in that case Baptist) than the local church I am part of (Pentecostal). For reference I will post the link below.

That question has been answered so far, but I've been recently thinking more on the following issue and cannot settle it in my mind as to what is right to do.

In the last 6-8 months I've been part of the children ministry of my congregation, leading a group of 9 children. And sometimes I visit also the Baptist church in the town, I live in and am really blessed by the fellowship with some sisters there and by the preaching of the word. I do not desire to "leave" my church (which btw is in a nearby city), but I am also not so sure how healthy is it for me to "split up" between two churches.

The deacons in my church know that I am befriended with some believers from the Baptist church and do not see anything wrong in that. And I shared my worries with one of my friends and she did not had any trouble either with our friendship. Even once when I told her that when I visited the home of a certain family from the church, and also the church as well, I felt such peace - which I cannot quite understand. But in that home reigned so much peace and I was glad to hear how the father gathered his daughters to read with them from the Bible before going to bed. And my friend answered, "You know what, I think it is because we have one Father."...

Am I worrying too much about that or is there any spiritual "danger" in that kind of fellowship? Is it dangerous if I visit them often? Any advice on that?

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all!

2019/5/27 14:06Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re: Fellowship with brothers and sisters from different congregations

Unfortunately I was not able to find my earlier post, will continue to search for it though.

2019/5/27 15:33Profile
romanchog

TakeUptheCross,

Yes, I think you are worrying too much.

There is only ONE church-all those who believe in Christ, His body (Ephesians 1:23, 1 Cor 12:27). Therefore, if these people you are visiting and having fellowship with are believers in Christ, they are part of the body, just like you, fellow heirs in Christ, brothers and sisters by adoption into His body.

Even though they gather in a different building or have different theology in some non-essentials, that does not make them any less part of the church.

I do not see any reason why there should be danger, and those who are closer to the situation (deacons and a friend) also have the same view.

I will pray that God will give you peace in this matter.

Natalie

2019/5/27 16:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I am not 100% clear on what the “danger” might be. Baptists preach the word and are generally conservative in spiritual matters.

I would think if the situation was reversed (Baptist hanging out with Pentecostals) some Baptists might be concerned about exposure to “tongue talking” and cartwheels in the aisles.

Flowing the other direction, there might be a concern of being exposed to cessationism.

But mature believers should be able to fellowship with believers in other denominations without freaking out.

Personally I prefer charismatics for worship and Baptists for expository preaching. Wish I could work that out somehow.

2019/5/27 17:04Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Hello
I believe as an intercessor that it is important to fellowship with other denominations.. I have many sisters and brothers from other churches. I am believing for revival.. I believe if we can see the commonalities in all denominations GOD is pleased with this unity.

Psalm 133
A song of ascents. Of David.
1 How good and pleasant it is
when God’s people live together in unity!

2 It is like precious oil poured on the head,
running down on the beard,
running down on Aaron’s beard,
down on the collar of his robe.
3 It is as if the dew of Hermon
were falling on Mount Zion.
For there the Lord bestows his blessing,
even life forevermore.
I pray with other denominations for revival and we focus on JESUS.. I also am in a bible study with other churches.. I aim at pleasing GOD not man.. I believe He will sort out all the doctrinal differences and I believe some of us will be surprised who is in heaven and who is not.. Just some of my thoughts from my journey with CHrist..
in Christ
Sister Frannie

2019/5/27 20:38Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re:

Hi Takeupthecross:

You will find after a time of fellowshipping between denominations the friction usually occurs

1. Doctrinal, The Baptists have their own interpretations and if yours are different, problems can arise
2. Practice, The Baptists have their own mode of preaching and worship, if your's differ, their can be friction.
3. Influence, if your character and manner create influences that interfere with leadership or even non-leadership and this causes friction.

My point is, as long as you are a nobody, doing nothing and have little influence all will be well. If you are blessed, anointed, used of God or cause others to seek to emulate you and subscribe to your teachings...most likely you will be shown the door.

This will happen regardless if you are friends with many, enjoy blessed fellowship with others and have no intention of doing anything but blessing that body of believers.

Why? Because protection of their doctrinal position, their modes of worship, their own influence among themselves has always trumped unity of believers.
Proof? See many Baptist preachers attending Pentecostal/assembly of God/Charismatic leadership conventions? Very few would admit to it let along go.

If the leaders have this attitude, the congregations will too. This affects how others from various denominations can function in their midst. Of course the same can be said of Pentecostals hosting a Baptist cross-over.

2019/5/28 11:25Profile
Sree

Re:

I do my share in the building of the local body of Christ. God has been more muceriful to give me a role in his Body in my locality. But the more I do my part, the more respect I have for others who are not part of this local body of believers but are also doing some work for the Lord. For example Pastors from other Churches. I cannot work with them because of practical differences, but I can always fellowship with them and encourage them. The practical differences include my belief in not to get paid for God's work. I cannot work with someone who gets a monthly salary for God's work. But I can fellowhsip with them. I have great respect for everyone who does some ministry for the Lord.

Most people who criticize Pastors and other ministers of God are those who themselves do not do anything for the Lord's purpose in their locality. Once a person does his part in his locality, he will definitely have respect for others who have do similar work. He may not agree with their doctrine or method of work but will always have respect and love for them.

2019/5/28 12:02Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

[I cannot work with someone who gets a monthly salary for God's work. But I can fellowhsip with them. I have great respect for everyone who does some ministry for the Lord.]

Hi Sree,

This statement of yours baffles me. I lead a small church and do not receive a salary either, and it would not come to my mind to ask for it. But where do you get the idea that a paid Christian worker is not worth cooperating with? Do you think they are of a lesser grade?

Not every Christian worker who gets paid is after filthy lucre. It is ok for a Christian worker to forfeit payment in some cases like Paul dealt with the Corinthians, or Nehemia in Jerusalem but I think every congregation should ask themselves the question if it is right to withold due support from their full time workers.

1 Cor 9 13 Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?
14 Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Paul made clear that he would be entitled to take a salary, but he forfeited his right to do so to set a particular example in Corinth. However he did receive funding from the Thessalonians for himself and others with gratitude, because it gave them opportunity to show gratitude.

Surely, there is abuse and pitfalls in some cases and and Brother Zac mentions these in his sermons, but I do not think it is right to add a law against something what the bible clearly endorses.

2019/5/28 15:50Profile
Sree

Re:

I do not believe accepting a gift in return for Christian work is wrong. But I am against receiving a fixed salary. I do not think it is a sin or something, I cannot work in ministry with such people. But I can meet with them, do Bible study with them, etc.

If a modern day paid Pastor approaches Apostle Paul and wants to join his ministry provided if he is paid the same or more, then I am sure Paul would have rejected his offer straight away. Paul does not serve the Lord this way, neither can I.

2019/5/28 16:36Profile
TakeUptheCross

Germany

Re:

Quote:
I am not 100% clear on what the “danger” might be. Baptists preach the word and are generally conservative in spiritual matters.

I think more or less Marvin explained it. I am aware that we have doctrinal differencies but I enjoy the fellowship with them. And no, I do not go there to tell them, "you should change this or that".

Quote:
But mature believers should be able to fellowship with believers in other denominations without freaking out.

Haha, I have to remember this!

@Sree
For me it would not be an issue, whether a minister receives salary or not, but I would like to see the spirit in which he serves. See, Paul had an issue with other people, not because they were receiving money but because they sought their own things:

"For I have no man likeminded, who will naturally care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are Jesus Christ's." (Philipians 2:20,21)

So someone may not receive a salary, but "seek his own things" and not the things which are Jesus Christ's - and for me, I would not like to be his co-worker. But if some brother receives a gift / income and seeks the kindgom of God, not fame, money, popularity, pleasing people - then He is a someone with whom I could work.

2019/5/29 4:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy