SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : eschatology and prophecy and the study of it

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

eschatology and prophecy and the study of it

/David,
I wish I knew prophecy , I would hope The Lord would reveal that to me.
But He has not , as of yet.
I sure would desire this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

He has only revealed / taught me, ‘the Way /path of Life’,..
....maybe I need to pray more for that,.. as I know it says in Revelations,..

Rev.1:3,
“ Blessed is “he that readeth’, and they ‘that hear’ the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.”/

Hi there. I'm not trying to be overbearing here or think more highly of myself than I should or push something on you. But I might offer a few thoughts to you regarding eschatology and prophecy and the study of it.

Because of the abuses of eschatology that have occurred many have just given up on it and I consider that to be unfortunate. It is significant that over 150 chapters in Scripture describe the unique dynamics of the hour when Jesus comes and 89 chapters do so in the gospel accounts. Hardly a secondary or irrelevant subject! The gospel is not only about what Jesus has done but what He will do.

Along these lines, the best advice I ever received about eschatology was to find out WHAT the day of the Lord is and WHEN it occurs. All things revolve around this all important day of the Lord. The day of the Lord was the hub around which all Old Testament eschatology revolved and formed the backdrop against which all New Testament eschatology was proclaimed. Speaking in eschatological terms, in the view of the prophets and Jesus all roads lead to the day of the Lord. The gospel revealed the mystery that counter to popular expectations the day of the Lord would now be the second coming of Israel's Messiah and not the first coming. The Jewish view was that after a short but fierce time of unparalleled trouble (Daniel 12:1; Matt 24:21) the day of the Lord would come when the Lord made a final purge of the wicked and the Messiah to come delivered Israel from its final enemies and resurrected the righteous dead. That was to be when the Messiah came. Now we know it will be the time when He comes the second time. It's known as the day of His appearing, the day of His revealing and even by the name "day of the Lord" (I Thess 5:1-4; II Thess 1:10; II Thess 2:3; II Timothy 4:8 etc.). Armageddon takes place at the great day of God Almighty (Rev 16:14) which is the day of the Lord. Finding out WHAT this day is and WHEN it occurs can be of immense value as a basic building block in the investigation of eschatology. In regards to the when of the rapture, the question automatically solves itself by the timing of the day of the Lord.

It has to be pursued as any other field of biblical study. It won't just be revealed but must be sought after. The messenger told Daniel, "From the first day that you set your heart to understand, and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard." Eschatology is a matter of humbling one's self and setting one's heart to understand. If Paul said we are not in the dark regarding the day of the Lord and it won't come upon us as a thief like it will the rest of the world then how can that not mean that we have obtained at least a measure of understanding by setting our hearts to inquire so as to understand. In the midst of describing tumultuous events of the end Daniel makes the startling statement, "And those of the people who understand shall instruct many."

Personally, once I got some foundational bearings, and counter to much that is wrongfully taught about eschatology, I found it to not be as near a non understandable riddle as it is often portrayed.

I sure didn't mean to go on for so long and hope I haven't annoyed you. But if you have the gumption and motivation start with WHAT is the day of the Lord and WHEN does it occur. None of this takes away from the importance of our daily walk and communion with the Lord. It's not going out in left field and embracing sensational theories of the end etc. It's rather humbly setting one's heart to seek and understand.

Blessings.

2019/5/26 10:08Profile
Elibeth

Re: For Elibeth

No David,
You did not offend me,..at all,...
Actually you scared me a bit.When I saw my code name there,..ha😕
I thought I might be fixing to get rebuked.
~~~~~~~~~~
I have thought some about ‘the day of The Lord’
Thank you, for giving me a direction.
I want to look into that more.
——————
elizabeth

2019/5/26 11:59Profile
docs

Re: A sign of the culmination of the age

"But you, O Daniel, shut up the words and seal the Book until the time of the end. [The] many shall run to and fro and search anxiously [through the book], and knowledge [of God's purposes as revealed by His prophets] shall be increased and become great." (Daniel 12: 4 - Amplified Bible)

At the approaching time of the end many shall turn back to the prophets and what they have revealed. A resurgence of interest in the prophets shall occur.

At the time of the end, "they who are wise and UNDERSTANDING among the people shall instruct many and make them UNDERSTAND..." (Daniel 11:33).

To the church and the church only has been bequeathed a stewardship of understanding of what the prophets and Jesus and the apostles revealed about the end of the age. In the midst of these fierce coming times it will be the church only who understands what is occurring and the church only will be able to give this understanding to others during this time so as to help lead them to the only haven of safety which is Jesus. It is required of stewards that one be found faithful and we can't neglect this stewardship any longer. But we must first set our own hearts to understand. Illiteracy in the prophetic realm coupled with a studied indifference to anything prophetic is no longer an option in my opinion. That's not directed at you personally.

Thanks again. I'm through.

2019/5/26 14:27Profile
Elibeth

Re:

I have listened to lots and lots of Art Katz tapes,.. also Reggie Kelley was on many of them, about Israel and the church,... but it has been a while.

Thanks David,

————_
elizabeth

2019/5/26 15:11Profile
docs

Re:

That's good. Not trying to toot any horns for personal recognition or anything but I know Reggie and he is a friend of mine. We go to church together. There is my confession. It doesn't mean a thing as far as my walk with the Lord goes. I'm in the same boat of trying to grow in Christ as everybody else.

Blessings.

2019/5/27 12:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: eschatology and prophecy and the study of it

Apparently this post is a continuation of thought from another thread? I did not read that one but would like to share my thoughts on this issue.

I totally agree with the fact that many people have been turned off in studying Revelation, or eschatology, because these discussions can get heated. Or, some spiritualize so much that one gets the idea it is all a riddle and since I am not good at solving riddles I will leave it alone and never mind the blessing it bestows on the reader for studying it as per Revelation 1.

I love to study Revelation. And the OT prophets. It takes a strong will to plow into these books with the goal of understanding and enjoying them.

However, as I apply myself - with the Spirit to guide my thoughts - to these books enlightenment happens. Not just once but every time. The depth of it is so rich I am not sure one can ever mine it in its fullness. Then I am left in awe, with a wow! in my heart and mind.

God loves it when we earnestly study eschatology because he reveals his character therein, he whispers his love and secrets to you. Amazing!

My testimony.

Sandra

2019/5/31 13:43Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy